• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Once while surf fishing I caught a sting ray on some light tackle, and I thought I had something as big as that Hammerhead on my line.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
When we were down two years ago I was on the deck of the townhouse we were renting and saw a good size school of silver bait fish swimming and jumping very fast parallel to the shore and right behind them was a shark. Probably 10 to 15 feet offshore. Glad I wasn't in the water. :eek:

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
FWC Regulations forbid targeting sharks while beach fishing. We discourage it here at our stores. The regulation makes sense because one doesn't want surf fishermen drawing sharks near swimming waters.

Sea J

Beach Comber
Apr 2, 2007
What? Ive been beach fishing for sharks all my life, so has my father, and so on. Iv read the FWC fishing regualtions through and through. Never seen anything saying that. Where did u get this info? If so, could u please link me to it? Cause if it is true, id really like to know.

Thanks.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
I think it changes per county. We use to always fish for shark from the beach but recently I was told it was illegal. It kinda makes sense... We would paddle the bait out on a surfboard and chum the water at the same time!!!! Crazy! Flip a quarter to see who gets to paddle the next big bait out after your last line just broke.....:eek: :shark: Whoever was the drunkest would always volunteer!!!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
What? Ive been beach fishing for sharks all my life, so has my father, and so on. Iv read the FWC fishing regualtions through and through. Never seen anything saying that. Where did u get this info? If so, could u please link me to it? Cause if it is true, id really like to know.

Thanks.
Not sure about the FWC rules, but here is the Walton County Code of Orinances regarding the illegal shark fishing from the beach: (link to municode for WalCo)

ARTICLE III. BEACH AND WATER SAFETY VEHICLE AND VESSEL CONTROL

Sec. 22-40. Regulation of use and conduct on the beach.
(d) Fishing. It shall be unlawful for any person while onthe beach or within 1,000 feet from shore to intentionally fish for sharks or to fish by those methods commonly known as"chumming" or "bloodbaiting."

and...

ARTICLE IV. REGULATION OF RECREATIONAL BEACH AND WATER ACTIVITIES*
Sec. 22-54. Regulation of use and conduct on the beach and water bodies.
(c) Fishing. It shall be unlawful for any person:

(1) To fish in the Gulf of Mexico after having been warned by any law enforcement officer that the health and safety of bathers is being endangered; or

(2) While on the beach or within 2,500 feet from shore to intentionally fish for sharks or to fish by those methods commonly know as "chumming" or "bloodbaiting."

Last edited:

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
Not sure about the FWC rules, but here is the Walton County Code of Orinances regarding the illegal shark fishing from the beach:sosad:link to municode for WalCo)

ARTICLE III. BEACH AND WATER SAFETY VEHICLE AND VESSEL CONTROL
Sec. 22-40. Regulation of use and conduct on the beach.
(d) Fishing. It shall be unlawful for any person while onthe beach or within 1,000 feet from shore to intentionally fish for sharks or to fish by those methods commonly known as"chumming" or "bloodbaiting."

and...

ARTICLE IV. REGULATION OF RECREATIONAL BEACH AND WATER ACTIVITIES*
Sec. 22-54. Regulation of use and conduct on the beach and water bodies.
(c) Fishing. It shall be unlawful for any person:

(1) To fish in the Gulf of Mexico after having been warned by any law enforcement officer that the health and safety of bathers is being endangered; or

(2) While on the beach or within 2,500 feet from shore to intentionally fish for sharks or to fish by those methods commonly know as "chumming" or "bloodbaiting."

Thanks SJ. Good info. to have and makes sense!