• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jjnole04

Beach Comber
Jul 15, 2008
per the DEP website...Sheriff Adkinson (im not on a first name basis with our sheriff like some others) nor the "Mayberry" crew would have anything to do with that
To report environmental crime, wireless customers can now dial #DEP. Callers can also report environmental crimes to the State Warning Point by calling (877) 2-SAVE-FL (1.877.272.8335).

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
I would like to know where 7-day/week code enforcement is found. Am I mistaken, or isn't that an administrative job?

I had some crazy neighbors living next door for a long time who sold bait out of their garage (among other things.) I called planning and zoning and code enforcement MANY times, but never expected a human being to answer the phone outside the hours of 9-5, Monday-Friday. I called them so many times, in fact, that they told me that if I witnessed my neighbors violating residential zoning laws outside of regular business hours that I should call the non-emergency line at the sheriff's office.

It took quite a few phone calls on my part and quite a few years to put a stop to it. Friends at the sheriff's office told me that part of the problem was proving they were doing something wrong--they had to build a case. For close to a year, my other neighbors and I noticed deputy's patrol cars in the driveway on about a weekly basis, even months after I made the last phone call. In the end, the joint efforts of the deputies and code enforcement put a stop to it.

Oddly enough, I found that the officers were much more enthusiastic about pursuing the case when I was respectful and cooperative. I don't think they would have worked so hard if I called them up and ordered them to wake up Goober and Gomer and send them over.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
You had a code enforcement problem at 1:20 am? What was it?

Nope - you seem to think i want 24/7 code enforcement. I just want 7 day, what I am already paying for.

Horse is dead-no need to keep beating him. We disagree.
Posted via Mobile Device

Could you at least answer this question?

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
per the DEP website...Sheriff Adkinson (im not on a first name basis with our sheriff like some others) nor the "Mayberry" crew would have anything to do with that
To report environmental crime, wireless customers can now dial #DEP. Callers can also report environmental crimes to the State Warning Point by calling (877) 2-SAVE-FL (1.877.272.8335).

Deputies make arrest for environmental crimes. If it is a violation of state statute, I am sure that a Deputy would be more than happy to assist you.

As for the other, if CE is suppose to be handling the 'Leave No Trace' ordinance, then are you guys now okay with that just be handled five days a week? Based on the stickers that are issued to people that want to leave things on the beach, I am already convinced that someone in the county is certain that turtles can read. So is the answer then just to post some signs out in the Gulf for the turtles to be extra cautious throughout the weekend? What about people who leave tents that are tagged on Friday? Do they get to leave theirs on the beach until Monday earning extra hours, but then those tagged on Monday are picked up on Tuesday?

Keeping in mind I, personally, do not care either way, just trying to find out what level of service is going to be expected so that I can let the commissioners know. It is a tight budget year, so if we can reduce the CE budget a 100K or so and not worry about weekends and holidays, I say go for it. Maybe we can leave a library open a bit longer in the evening.

Carol G

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2007
Point Washington
You know the expression, It Takes A Village? Well, my family will be in SoWal for 2 weeks starting Wednesday.

I promise to be a good steward of the area and beaches of South Walton. I promise to Leave No Trace that I was even on the beach. I promise I will pick up all items I brought to the beach with me (us). I promise to check the surrounding area and return it to its natural state.

Ok, that could probably be worded more technically. Can anyone add to this? Maybe we need a "Promise Code" for visitors so they will understand that all visitors need to be responsible for keeping their area of beach clean.
Could we work on the wording of this "Code" and make it a stickie on SoWal.com?

I like this idea, thanks for being proactive about your vacation, and respectful of this beautiful place! Oh if only every tourist was like you! :love:
( I still want to honk and wave hello at everyone I see lugging their stuff off the beach; if I didn't hate car horns so much...)

A couple more to add:
I promise to not go in the gulf above my ankles on red flag days, even though I spent a lot of money on this vacation and really really want to swim in the ocean.

I promise to educate myself about the flag system and the dangers associated with swimming in the gulf that I need to be aware of. I promise that I will do my best to not put myself, my loved ones, other beach-goers, or your beloved life guards, surfers and community members at risk by not understanding riptides or undertows, and not respecting the awesome power of the gulf. I understand that it is not a swimming pool.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Yep Funny as ???? , but definitely not beloved.

Hey FF2 which days of the year do all of the fire fighters in Walton County take the day off at the same time ?
I'm sorry, I really wasn't trying to get into the middle of this dispute. I was just saying that Larry, Darrell and Darrell were funny characters and had not thought of them in a while.

I will add this, the one and only time I called Code Enforcement was to find out what I could do with my old oil filters. I was told in no uncertain terms that he did not know and I should call the road department. Still haven't called the road department. If I threw them in the woods or threw them in the landfill I do suppose it maybe a code problem? I think most of this issue with Code Enforcement could be addressed by educating both the public and the employee as to what each expects. I know in my line of work we have a customer service mentality, see someone broke down stop and help, tire flat change it, need a ride give them one. Obviously we have to use a certain amount of common sense, but you can't go wrong trying. Just saying:clap:

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
:roll: Kitty, she's being coy. Isn't that cute?

It's possible that IG just wants to be left alone and telling the story may give enough clues to know where she lives.
Thank you IG for doing something about an illegal activity. Too many people just turn their head.

northender

Beach Comber
Feb 28, 2008
I will add this, the one and only time I called Code Enforcement was to find out what I could do with my old oil filters. I was told in no uncertain terms that he did not know and I should call the road department. Still haven't called the road department. If I threw them in the woods or threw them in the landfill I do suppose it maybe a code problem? I think most of this issue with Code Enforcement could be addressed by educating both the public and the employee as to what each expects. I know in my line of work we have a customer service mentality, see someone broke down stop and help, tire flat change it, need a ride give them one. Obviously we have to use a certain amount of common sense, but you can't go wrong trying. Just saying:clap:

not trying to be a smart a@#, but i've always wanted to ride in a fire truck
so all I have to do is walk down the road and you will pick me up in a fire truck? That's cool.....