• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I think there must be a little more to this story. If he/they were in front of the retreat, they would have had to either a) walk a long distance from the nearest public access, or b) enter the Retreat community illegally.
Not really. It could have been someone who was renting on Redfish Circle which has an access next door to The Retreat.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
HANDCUFFS! I was already pissed off about something else, so this is just gasoline on the fire!

I want this to be an issue in the next Sheriff's election - I can see removing people doing something offensive, but based on the posts they were close to the wet sand and not doing anything wrong!

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
HANDCUFFS! I was already pissed off about something else, so this is just gasoline on the fire!

I want this to be an issue in the next Sheriff's election - I can see removing people doing something offensive, but based on the posts they were close to the wet sand and not doing anything wrong!

Y'all know how I feel about this issue, but.....the law is the law (regardless of how ridiculous). The Sheriff's hands were tied (no pun intended).

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
True, a law is a law and if you don't like it, change it instead of violating it......... but my concern is what OTHER laws were being broken/going unenforced while our taxpayer funded sheriff's department was leading away ostensibly innocent beachgoers/tourists in handcuffs! That will certainly be good for the lagging economy when reports/pics get out!

What a waste of time, resources, and bile! Good gravy - why is this such a problem for these people? As I've said before, noone ever takes a patch of sand your blanket/rear end is occupying!

If these people were drunk and disorderly, testing the boundaries, causing trouble, then by all means arrest them, but the posts sound like they were close to the waterline and behaving!

I've had it with people's incredibly selfish behavior and need to ruin other people's funn!!!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I sure would like to hear from the criminals....:wave:

This morning as my wife and I were returing form a shoreline walk we saw county officials asking a couple of men to move their "set up" from infront of The Retreat at Blue Mountain Beach. About an hour later my wife saw him being led from the beach in handcuffs for tresspassing. One of the men was taking pictures... maybe we'll see them post them here.

I know from reading previous posts that this is a hot button issue but it seems that some want to enforce the "letter of the law". I saw where they were placed and it was close to the water line very near the boundry of the Inn at Blue Mountain. They seemed to minding their own business. As the sherriff left I happened to walk by them and heard "I think it was the right call... where the wet sand meets the dry".

I'm confused, the beachgoers were were set up outside of the posted signs. If the owners really want to keep people out can they fence in their beach? (not that I'd want to see that)

In the many years of coming to SoWal I've always been impressed with the civility of residents and tourists -- although I have heard some horror stories. We abolutely love it here and treat it as though we already live here. But I was very surprised that it seems the owners are calling the country for what seems such a small infraction -- seems like a waste.

This was the second day in a row that I saw county officials inforcing the private beach rule.

Is the pendulum swinging?

Did you get any pix :dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Y'all know how I feel about this issue, but.....the law is the law (regardless of how ridiculous). The Sheriff's hands were tied (no pun intended).
... and just what is the law in this case? I think there are opposing views on the laws, especially since the public has used the beach without anyone defending it as their own, up until this year. The law may not read as clearly as a deed.

This incident makes me want to bring about 400 of my closest friends and set up on the beach in front of the property where this took place.

Last edited:

rocket136

Beach Comber
Mar 1, 2007
St. Louis
Did you get any pix :dunno:

Unfortunately I did not get any pics but my wife and daughter saw it. One of the men did take pictures. I did see the sheriff as well as his staff and I heard what he or the official that was with him said. I spoke briefly with the county official on patrol who commented that that the entire incident was unfortunate
I'll be watching tomorrow...

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
it's beginning to look like hauling folks off the beach is competing with flying helicopters around looking for marijuana plants as the duty of choice for the local sheriff's office.

When is the next election? Oh yeah, and the County Finance Officer is running....

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
Fence building, law-breaking, filling up jail cells with non-violent misdemeanor offenders leaving no room for violent criminals---oops sorry folks I am in the wrong thread thought it was the Immigration Debate. This sucks too though.

Hmm? What? Sorry...I was terribly distracted by your 'tar...:yikes: