• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
At the risk of being the voice of reason, let me say "relax". While the situation at the Retreat is serious to those involved, it does not reflect what is happening on the vast majority of SoWal beaches.

I believe most gulf front owners are live and let live. Unfortunately though, as hotter heads prevail, gulf front owners will be forced to defend their positions and become exclusive. So again I say "relax".

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
So per the TDC memo, we just spent millions of dollars to renourish beaches that are predominantly private!

I think the TDC got the footage incorrect. Instead of 35-40 feet, at least 100 feet was added to the beach and all that should be public property.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
I have always firmly believed the beaches are for all of us to enjoy. The edge of the bluff or the edge of the dunes should be the property line for beach front homeowners. Even this "mean high tide waterline" rule is ridiculous.

When you pay for beach front you are paying for the view and the risk of being washed away in a hurricane, you're not paying for the beach behind you. Trying to own the beach is like trying to own the sky.

I would proudly be arrested for walking on the beach anywhere on the "Beaches of South Walton." Get it? The Beaches of South Walton. Do we need to change the name of the place?

Dave, "come and get me" Rauschkolb.

:bow: Quote of the year!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
At the risk of being the voice of reason, let me say "relax". While the situation at the Retreat is serious to those involved, it does not reflect what is happening on the vast majority of SoWal beaches.

I believe most gulf front owners are live and let live. Unfortunately though, as hotter heads prevail, gulf front owners will be forced to defend their positions and become exclusive. So again I say "relax".

It began as an easily avoidable problem in a limited area (at least for the locals) but is rapidly escalating. The latest issued by the TDC shows that the official position is changing in a way that will seriously affect the lifestyles and livelihoods of everyone around here.

Well thought out and researched opposition is necessary.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
Well said and intuitive Kurt; you are wise beyond your years. True, most homeowners are fine with anyone behind their beach but I have to agree with scooterbug, we have to have be vocal and involved so the existing ridiculous law is not altered to further restrict access.

We have to at least protect the right to walk on the beach and place our beach chairs in the wet sand and dangle our toes in the water on ANY beach we want to up to the mean high tide waterline.

It is good the TDC is educating folks on what the current law is. It is unfortunate this is even a conversation. In Costa Rica and many countries ALL the beaches are public property. Land of the free?:bang:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
As someone else asked earlier, who wants to lie down on a wet beach towel?

Also, who wants to set up their beach chair on a slope of wet sand with water sinking it deeper in the sand?

Last edited:

KISH7374

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
CLEVELAND,OHIO
As someone else asked earlier, who wants to lie down on a wet beach towel?

Also, who wants to set up their beach chair on a slope of wet sand with water sinking it deeper in the sand?
SJ, I kind of like to set my chair in the wet sand and let the surf wash over my feet and then after a while move back or forwadr depending on the tide. Not trying to be a smart a** here but that is one of the pleasures of sitting on the beach.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
SJ, I kind of like to set my chair in the wet sand and let the surf wash over my feet and then after a while move back or forwadr depending on the tide. Not trying to be a smart a** here but that is one of the pleasures of sitting on the beach.
So is having a chair that doesn't wash out to sea during the day ;-).

A chair w/ tootsies in the sea is great - reading a book, sunning, or people watching on a wet towel while waves wash over you not so much!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I hear you. Just noticing maybe two out of 200 people who set up in the surf, I think the majority of people would prefer to be on the dryer sand, especially those lying on towels.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
You are correct. I stand corrected. Now about that over-turned port-a-john in the public parking lot at Van Ness Butler, Jr... Who is in charge of that one? I don't think WaterColor and Seaside want visitors peeing in the bushes.

I know someone over there that can check it out. It's probably the construction company hired to rebuild the parking lot and restroom. Based on what I've heard, they are starting this week or have already started.

Last edited: