• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
Honestly, after the reply from the Florida attorney general, do you really think this "letter" simply wipes the slate clean and justify's Destin's position? Obviously you do.

Why not just 5 feet? Why not 50 feet? Where's the legal basis for 20 feet? It's an arbitrary number Destin came up with period.

Jay still needs a good lawyer.

I think the 20' line may come from the not really knowing where the MHWL is? Some of the confusion comes from the constant changing coastline. It would be impossible to use the MHWL as a true benchmark. BMBV, I am very proud of you quoting Surfrider like that.:D I also understand your concerns as a property owner. I would be concerned if people were running amuck in my back yard. I do hope you understand the fear and the threat we all feel when something we all cherish becomes threatened. The majority of the folks on these boards are very involved citizens and we all have walked into something we did not know even existed. The law is very mucky and could more then likely be interpreted any way one would like. The sad part is that is probably the point. Politics? I just don't understand how or why folks would want to interpret the law to read "MINE". My one year old says "MINE" and it boils my blood. Over the years the majority of my fondest memories come from that beautiful white sand. I have run, surfed, danced and explored every inch of it. I just want to insure my little one year old gets those same memories.

Last edited:

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
I was going to post the link here to the governing Florida statute, but the link didn't cooperate. It is Florida Statutes Chapter 177 Part II. Mean High Water is an average of the high waters over a 19-year tidal cycle. It takes a surveyor to determine the MHW, if I am reading the statute correctly. It appears the MHW does not change from day to day, or from tide to tide, although the boundary of the wet/dry sand does. It looks like the twenty-foot rule is a convenience.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
You should also remember that some deeds read, "meander along the approximate Mean High Water Mark."

"meander" and "approximate" are not precise terms of location.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
I was going to post the link here to the governing Florida statute, but the link didn't cooperate. It is Florida Statutes Chapter 177 Part II. Mean High Water is an average of the high waters over a 19-year tidal cycle. It takes a surveyor to determine the MHW, if I am reading the statute correctly. It appears the MHW does not change from day to day, or from tide to tide, although the boundary of the wet/dry sand does. It looks like the twenty-foot rule is a convenience.

This is why this should be thrown out in court. A good lawyer will eat it up.

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
They still have not fixed this in Destin I have a court date on the 17th of August for the judge to determine if the landowner had tresspass authority within the 20 foot inshore of the wet sand zone. I am still under a restraining order becuse I was fishing in the wet sand.

OMG :eek: what a PIA :moon:!!!
Judges should fine these whacko greedy homeowners for frivilous lawsuits.
GREED FREAKS! Why did you even move to the beach where many folks are known to hang out, now all of a sudden it's your private island. Keyword in many of these posts is FRONT, beachFRONT property owners NOT BEACH owners, you GREEDY F627's :cuss: :wacko: :wacko: . If you can't share, find another playground cuz a bunch fo sowallers are gonna stand up for our rights and 'KINGDOM LAW', just like in the little islands of HUH Y UH. :love: :love: :love: :wave:
Just because you were blessed enough to buy beachFRONT property all of a sudden doesn't mean everyone else's worlds and laws should change to suit your GREEDY A$$E$. Count your blessings you spoiled brats, and then shut up and share. Hard-workin',tax-payin', baby-feedin', beach-lovin' peeps havin' to take off work to go to court cuz they were fishin', gimme a f627in' break.:whack: :banging: :bicycle: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja::breakcomp:
Mornin' everybody. :love:
I just wanna say :welcome: to any vacationers possibly reading this thread. Most beachFRONT homeowners are not as GREEDY as you are hearing on here. Don't be skeered. :love: :wave:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
"gimme a f627in' break"....seacrestkristi

:rotfl: ...thanks, new sig line!!!

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
OMG :eek: what a PIA :moon:!!!
Judges should fine these whacko greedy homeowners for frivilous lawsuits.
GREED FREAKS! Why did you even move to the beach where many folks are known to hang out, now all of a sudden it's your private island. Keyword in many of these posts is FRONT, beachFRONT property owners NOT BEACH owners, you GREEDY F627's :cuss: :wacko: :wacko: . If you can't share, find another playground cuz a bunch fo sowallers are gonna stand up for our rights and 'KINGDOM LAW', just like in the little islands of HUH Y UH. :love: :love: :love: :wave:
Just because you were blessed enough to buy beachFRONT property all of a sudden doesn't mean everyone else's worlds and laws should change to suit your GREEDY A$$E$. Count your blessings you spoiled brats, and then shut up and share. Hard-workin',tax-payin', baby-feedin', beach-lovin' peeps havin' to take off work to go to court cuz they were fishin', gimme a f627in' break.:whack: :banging: :bicycle: :ninja: :ninja: :ninja::breakcomp:
Mornin' everybody. :love:
I just wanna say :welcome: to any vacationers possibly reading this thread. Most beachFRONT homeowners are not as GREEDY as you are hearing on here. Don't be skeered. :love: :wave:

You go girl!!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
SeacrestKristi,
I'm not sure the Judge will be allowing your testimony from post #466, but I sure got a kick out of reading it.

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
Thanks ya'll, it just all seemed so simple and clear this mornin'. :D
Miss Kitty you made my day! I made it on your sig line for a while :clap: :love: That does make a gull feel special. :wave: :blush: :D