• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
Our posts passed each other.

I agree whole heartedly with what you are saying about the drive vs. the walk. The problem obviously boils down to the county deeding public beach access without the public beach part. This is not a matter of personal opinion, it's the way it is at the moment.

Please allow me to rephrase my question (since yippie is our local grammar nazi) in order to address the issue:

IF you still owned your rental property, and IF the beach was private on each side of the "nearby" public access WOULD your renters have been prevented from getting to the beach in an area that is know to be public?

I am curious how she is going to answer that. How can you speculate on "IF's". Had you ask me that quesion, my answer would be I don't know.

1st in 59

Beach Comber
Jan 22, 2006
The problem didn't start with the owners of private beach areas. It started with real estate agents and developers - people like Bobby J & Smiling Joe. When they're selling property down here, one of the perks they love to trumpet is access to the beach. Some developers advertise it before they even have beach access. Examples of that practice are legion on this site.

I doubt even a handful of realtors in the interest of full disclosure are honest enough to tell potential purchasers what "access" really, legally means. Wouldn't that kill a deal instantly if they said, "Yes, you have access, but I need to explain to you that the beach on either side of the access is privately owned and you might not be able to use it?" Ever done that Bobby J or Smiling Joe? I bet not. The profits are better when the buyers have this idylic vision of "their" beach.

I think there's been a lot of incomplete disclosure going on down here for years by knowing real estate agents and developers. They're the ones that have created the problem by over-developoing and over-selling areas that are already congested. And then they want to smugly turn around and blame the Commissioners as the problem for not stopping them. When the tourists come and rent these properties and are crawling over each other on the beaches and spilling over onto private beach property, Bobby J and Smiling Joe stick their chests out as defenders of the very problem they helped create. Please!

Perhaps a stall or even decline in growth is a good thing for the community and the health of the beaches? The only downside I can see is that it gives realtors like Bobby J and Smiling Joe too much time to genreate endless self-righteous, self-serving posts. Maybe a class action suit brought by all the cheated buyers against some of these unscrupulous realtors/developers would do more good than a silly 60's style sit in.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
I'm not one of your 400 closest friends, in fact, I don't even know you but I'm certainly volunteering and I'm close enough to walk to the "Retreat".
Andy A, your position is honorable from the perspective of many on this thread.

Assuming you own unit #8 at Sea Bluffs (which is a condo development on Blue Mountain Beach which is just west of Bella Vita and a stone's throw from Adagio - for the benefit of others), can you share with us your association's position? In other words, is the beach in front of Sea Bluffs private or public? If it's private, is it OK, according to your association, for the public to use that beach?

If you're a renter, please share that as well.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
It still doesn't answer my simple question to sunshine of ....
"Are your renters prevented from using the public beaches that are available?"
I'll take a shot at that question, even though Sunshine has told you that she owned in the "past," not present. (she has no rentors.)

Yes, rentors in general are prevented from using public beaches. Many of the public accesses to public beaches have fewer parking spaces that would be visitors who drive. For example, the public accesses between CR83 and Big Redfish Lake. Without illegally parking in someone's yard or the shoulder of the road, beachgoers, who could theoritically use the beach, would have to walk long distances to arrive at any of those accesses, especially when the small parking lot at the 83 access is filled.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
I'll take a shot at that question, even though Sunshine has told you that she owned in the "past," not present. (she has no rentors.)

Yes, rentors in general are prevented from using public beaches. Many of the public accesses to public beaches have fewer parking spaces that would be visitors who drive. For example, the public accesses between CR83 and Big Redfish Lake. Without illegally parking in someone's yard or the shoulder of the road, beachgoers, who could theoritically use the beach, would have to walk long distances to arrive at any of those accesses, especially when the small parking lot at the 83 access is filled.
As much as I REALLY hate to say it, you're right!:D But then again you're sort of wrong (I believe).:sosad: It is my understanding that the sheriff will not ticket a vehicle parked on Blue Mountain Road, assuming they are not beyond the right-of-way for this very reason. "Don't needlesly hassle the tourist if you don't have to" is the logical reason behind it. BUT PLEASE DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT!!! Park at your own risk!!:D

Again, you've made a very valid point! Thanks.

Question: has anyone received a parking ticket on Blue Mountain Road? If so, was your vehicle completely on the right of way?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
The problem didn't start with the owners of private beach areas. It started with real estate agents and developers - people like Bobby J & Smiling Joe.
Those are HUGE words coming from someone who doesn't know jack about me. I am not "like" most real estate agents. ;-) Get your story straight before slinging horse sh_t in my direction.

I doubt even a handful of realtors in the interest of full disclosure are honest enough to tell potential purchasers what "access" really, legally means. Wouldn't that kill a deal instantly if they said, "Yes, you have access, but I need to explain to you that the beach on either side of the access is privately owned and you might not be able to use it?" Ever done that Bobby J or Smiling Joe? I bet not. The profits are better when the buyers have this idylic vision of "their" beach.

Until these no trespassing signs were erected and people arrested, there has not been question to the public's right to freely sit on the sandy beaches in SoWal.

I think there's been a lot of incomplete disclosure going on down here for years by knowing real estate agents and developers. They're the ones that have created the problem by over-developoing and over-selling areas that are already congested. And then they want to smugly turn around and blame the Commissioners as the problem for not stopping them. When the tourists come and rent these properties and are crawling over each other on the beaches and spilling over onto private beach property, Bobby J and Smiling Joe stick their chests out as defenders of the very problem they helped create. Please!

Again, you are making HUGE assumptions and HUGE accusations regarding my principles and business. I didn't create the problem. I've been fighting the density increases in SoWal for a while. There is plenty of land to sell around here without having to keep chopping it into smaller pieces.

How about you come back with something real and purposeful, and until then, STFU. Maybe you were wronged by your real estate agent, but I was not he who wronged you.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
As much as I REALLY hate to say it, you're right!:D But then again you're sort of wrong (I believe).:sosad: It is my understanding that the sheriff will not ticket a vehicle parked on Blue Mountain Road, assuming they are not beyond the right-of-way for this very reason. "Don't needlesly hassle the tourist if you don't have to" is the logical reason behind it. BUT PLEASE DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT!!! Park at your own risk!!:D

Again, you've made a very valid point! Thanks.

Question: has anyone received a parking ticket on Blue Mountain Road? If so, was your vehicle completely on the right of way?

By the Sheriff not ticketing, the laws have not changed. It is still illegal to park in the road and on people's yards.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
....Maybe a class action suit brought by all the cheated buyers against some of these unscrupulous realtors/developers would do more good than a silly 60's style sit in.
Exactly what I have said (but better stated by 1st in '59)....
Anyone involved in ANY part of a real estate transaction where an inland property purchaser was told they had deeded private beach access but really did not (and not disclosed), should be very nervous right about now.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
So therefore I see the Florida Real Estate industry funding the law suits to attempt to convert private beach property to public property on a "case by case basis" as they possibly have a lot to lose here.