• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
bmbv, any chance of delivering that in a larger format? possibly saving it to an offsite hosting service; www.photobucket.com . this way we can get a pretty good look at it in it's native resolution. thanks for that work.
Thanks. I set up an account.

Again, Redfish Village is included shown with a dotted line connecting to their private beach access.
The green shaded areas are areas that do not have any "dedicated" beach front other than the accesses themselves.

Here it is...

BlueMountainBeachAccess.jpg

Last edited:

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
thanks for the larger image.

so, based on that photo, where are all the people that live in the green zone supposed to go th the beach?
Good question, no great answers.
:dunno:

The obvious nearby places are Ed Waline, the one at Old Florida Beach, Blue Mountain Beach (such as it is) and Grayton. Hey don't forget the state parks!

There ARE places to get to the beach. They might not be as convenient as the one, people like Duchess thought was "fully available" to her.

JR, I am really just the messenger with an opinion which, at this time, is backed by law. PLEASE resist the temptation to paint me as an evil villain.

Tangent... remember how many people use to say, "Why should we pay for beach renourishment to benefit all those "greedy" gulf front owners?", especially right after Hurricane Dennis? Well now, if one truly understands the entire picture, renourishment could be considered as a solution where there 2 birds are killed with one stone (just a saying y'all).

And I currently have mixed emotions regarding beach renourishment when I look at how nicely our section of the beach has recovered so far from the hurricanes on its own in such a short time. If we get hit again anytime soon, my tune may certainly change.

Duchess

Beach Lover
Sep 11, 2005
Blue Mountain Beach/Reynoldstown
Hello, Sowallers,

I was originally just going to report on my visit to the beach today,
but I now realize that Yippie and BMBV have addressed my post from yesterday.

First, Yippie, thank you for re-elevating my post from the morass of cross-
talk on this thread. The other sideline was valid, but not what I was trying
to address. I wanted to provide a first-hand account of what was happening
here.

I hung out at the beach today from 4 -6 pm CST with no problems and maybe
3 others that I can only call my 'posse'. (The beach, including the 'Retreat beach' , was almost empty). We were all appropriately within the
MHW line, so I assume we're not 'Inn people'. That said, I thought that we
all walked upright, spoke a type of English in which our subjects and verbs
agreed, etc., etc. We caused no problems and left no trash on the beach.
I must also note that there was rain from about 2:30 pm (when I wanted to go down to the beach) until 3:50 pm.

I have always understood that I had access to and use of this beach since
our purchase of our lot in August 2001. I have seen documentation of this
then and since then, when we bought a lot across 30-A in 2006. Our lot there is closer to the public beach access at CR 83, but we were assured of our access to and use of the beach between the Retreat and the Inn. We didn't question this, as we had always enjoyed that right and access. Even
after the split between the Inn and the Village.

BMBVagrant has questioned if we'll sell if we can't use the BMB beach closest to our home. NO! I don't believe that will happen, honestly. We'll still be able to use it, even if in a miniscule way. My hubby and I will make it our new goal to use that beach any time we want and suffer the inconvenience of moving our stuff if we need to. Honestly, we're two people (and it's usually the same number of family using our place if we're not there, maybe plus a couple of shorter kids) who just want to spread out a towel or two with a cooler in between.

So BMBV is maybe wondering if we think our property will be devalued because of this issue? We can weather it. I can understand his concern
since he seems to be a beachfront owner to our east whose property mayl be facing this issue potentially very soon. It is an enormously sticky issue. All I can say is that I am trying to work out tomorrow early enough so that I will have my butt on the beach near the Inn at BMB by about 10 am.

Although my name here may be Duchess, I'm not very formal and will
welcome all comers so we can talk about this!!
:blush:

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
thanks for the larger image.

so, based on that photo, where are all the people that live in the green zone supposed to go th the beach?

John,
This is why a "private" beach will never hold up in court especially looking at the green area. This area has been used by the public for years and will easily fall under the prescriptive easement rights.
Has anyone researched a case where a "private" beach owner has ever won a private beach law suit. I am not trying to instigate, just curious.

rocket136

Beach Comber
Mar 1, 2007
St. Louis
I've been reading intently and a picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks BMBV:D .
It's real interesting to note that clearly 1/3 of the beach at Blue Mountain is in front of the retreat. Just compare this with the pictures of no one on the beach posted in that area posted earlier. Every one seems to be getting licked off the little segment next to the Inn.

Also didn't St. Joe own all (or most) of the land along 30A. When did they start developing it?

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Oct 28, 2005
A local
I've been reading intently and a picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks BMBV:D .
It's real interesting to note that clearly 1/3 of the beach at Blue Mountain is in front of the retreat. Just compare this with the pictures of no one on the beach posted in that area posted earlier. Every one seems to be getting licked off the little segment next to the Inn.

Also didn't St. Joe own all (or most) of the land along 30A. When did they start developing it?

St Joe is the largest land holder in the State of Florida. They started developing it several years ago. SEVERAL years ago.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
BMBV, I didn't ask to point a finger at the messenger, I just asked. It's just so glaring that that those public accesses actually do 'lead to nowhere'

Bobby, I share the same hope as you, I'm just wondering if it really will be on a case by case basis, or a blanket decision.

CampCreekLou

Beach Lover
Feb 25, 2005
Vagrant,

It appears that the dark blue beaches on your image should be 'PUBLIC". Is that correct? I've labeled them "No Problem?" from the Walton County GSR. Notice how the property lines stop at the dunes.

Blue.JPG

Why doesn't the state just use a little eminent domain, and take the beach back for the public for these few PROBLEM properties? Back to the vegetation line?

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Hi again Duchess. I had all kinds of things to post but deleted them and started over.

If anyone has a right to be mad as hell it's you! However you have exhibited such composure and clarity not often found on this message board for someone in your situation and it is a breath of fresh air.

Your intent is pure...purchase property near the beach fully thinking you have "full" beach access. BTW, can you clarify if that access is public or private (I'm too lazy to look at TDC's website:D )?

You truly sound like a neighbor anyone would love to have. Again, I really hate that all this is happening to nice people like you.

PLEASE keep us posted as you have been doing!
Thank you.