• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

skier

Beach Lover
Mar 7, 2005
Why reconsider, this is a no risk deal. Prices are going up, up, up. I'll make money hand over fist. Can't wait. :D

Travel2Much

Beach Lover
Jun 13, 2005
Well, since making money hand over fist appears to be one of the important things in your life, go to it! :D Good luck!

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal
skier said:
Why reconsider, this is a no risk deal. Prices are going up, up, up. I'll make money hand over fist. Can't wait. :D
Ok folks, You've got your intangible, let's just call this stock over here an apple...then you have land, improved and unimproved...good ole mother earth, dirt if you will ,...let's call that oranges. One Skier, is nothing but speculation. Always was and always will be. It's such BS speculation that the news readers every night pull a random piece of news to fit their reasoning as to why the NASDAQ or Dow Jones went up or down on any given weekday. Pure unmitigated, BS speculation. Land, on the other hand has many uses, one of which is speculation. There are thousands of SoWal owners enjoying their investments today without any thought as to what will happen to ten year Treasury yields. Not everyone is speculating,and the market is too fundamentally strong to be tipped over by flippers.

skier

Beach Lover
Mar 7, 2005
Main Entry: spec?u?la?tion
Pronunciation: "spe-ky&-'lA-sh&n
Function: noun
: an act or instance of speculating : as a : assumption of unusual business risk in hopes of obtaining commensurate gain b : a transaction involving such speculation

Bob,

As you can see from the MW dictionary above, the definition of speculation would definitely include buying stocks, bonds, real estate, gold, silver, oil, etc, etc. There are real estate speculators, stock market speculators, etc. A stock, while it is an intangible, believe it or not, it actually grants you an ownership interest in a real live operating company. You have folks that speculate in stocks and then you have long term investors. Do you think that the folks that invest in utility stocks are speculating? Certainly not. They are typically investing in a real live business for the long haul to receive a dividend stream and more than likely get their principal back way down the road. On the other hand, if you buy Google today at a market cap of over $70 billion, I would say you are moving toward the speculating end of the spectrum. Similar to the stock market, the real estate market has both speculators and investors as you appropriately described above. Tangible or intangible, investing is investing, speculating is speculating.

Both markets can get overstimulated and both can crash. As others have said, stock markets can crash very quickly. On the other hand, real estate markets don't move quite as quickly due to the nature of the beast. Stocks can trade minute by minute. Homes usually take months and months to change hands and the transaction costs are much higher. So, they don't move as fast up or down typically. But, again, both can crash.

landlord

Beach Lover
One person on this board seems like those people who short stocks and spend their time on yahoo stock message boards trashing the stock that they are currently shorting. I rarely post on those boards,yet i am puzzled by the amount of time and energy devoted to arguing against a stock and its fundamentals.
Anyway I miss the objective of running down the value of south walton values on a board that is intended for people who love sowal and come here to ...

landlord

Beach Lover
Continued... anyway, it is tiresome on this type board to endure this negativity. but it is America so bash away!
I am a professional real estate investor with commercial properties in 9 states, but i have little interest in coming home and trying to deride my fellow posters over how their sowal investment is going to heck in a hand-basket. i, for one, dont know how values will perform in the future. and i for one am not concerned about it one way or the other.
let's talk about what we love about soway. There. I said it . Sue me.

skier

Beach Lover
Mar 7, 2005
landlord,

Yikes--I assume you are referring to me. Sorry I offended you but I'm simply sharing my thoughts on the market just like others are sharing their opposing views. The world would be a very dull place if everybody thought the same way. Fortunately, we don't live in China, Iran, or other places that tend to stomp out dissenting points of view. Instead, we live in America where healthy debate is a part of our culture.

I've never shorted a stock and never will. However, I do try to call things as I see them. I am only offering my opinion, that's all it is. I might be wrong, I might be right. Time will tell. I certainly don't think my opinions are going to cause "run down the value of RE in SoWal". There are way to many economists (including fed governors) and others talking the same way about real estate bubbles in overheated markets.

This board is called the real estate board and that is what we are discussing. If you want general interest, go to the general forum.

However, as a professional real estate investor, you probably know what you are doing and can spot bull and bear real estate markets. For those not as astute as you that tend to follow the latest trend whether it be in stocks, bonds or real estate, a healthy dialogue could be very beneficial. Get them thinking rather than following the herd before jumping into the market. Maybe you should share what you are doing locally? Are you currently buying loads of properties in Rosemary, Seaside, Watercolor, Draper Lake, Redfish Village, Adagio, Watersound, Seacrest, etc.? Or, are you sitting on the sidelines or buying elsewhere? Not sure how good your credentials are, but if you are successful at what you do, I would sure like to hear your opinion.

skier

Beach Lover
Mar 7, 2005
Mack,

I never heard back from you re: buying my place at a 29% discount to the house in Seaside that just sold for $1700 per square foot.

By the way, if you and landlord don't like the debate, you don't have to review this or any other thread.