• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Newcomer

Beach Crab
Jun 24, 2005
landlord said:
Cavallino, Thank you for your informative and fact-based post. I agree with your assessment and am glad for the ebsco folks.

Agreed with Landlord - the overall speculation has been daunting to say the least but IMHO values in places like Seaside, Rosemary Beach, Watercolor and her sister projects and Alys Beach will retain their value and hopefully see modest gains because there continues to be a real demand for the area and the more discriminating buyers shall be just that.

skier

Beach Lover
Mar 7, 2005
OnMackBayou said:
Skier, my name is Alan Woodard. Please e-mail me the legal description of your property, along with any other info you can provide. My e-mail address is assetmgsrv@aol.com. As I have explained, I will pay for two appraisals and we will average them. If the property fits the criteria I outlined, I will be glad to pay 71% of that figure for your property.

Alan,

Thanks for the offer. However, I don't think I would get a fair shake from your brothers Larry and Larry. However, if you will allow me to use my friends Guido and Sal to do the appraisals, we might be able to strike a deal.

Seriously, as you will note in my previous posts, I am not looking to unload. Instead, if I can sell for a high price, I'll take it. I'm not interested in selling at a discount. Joe hit the nail on the head in terms of where I stand on selling except that my price would not be "ridiculously high" only at the top end of the recent sales prices of homes in very close proximity to mine.

You guys are taking all of my opinions way too hard. They are simply my opinions, just like yours. I respect your point of view, but obviously, I disagree. Can't we simply disagree???

By the way, you won't have to deal with any more posts from me for a while. I head out on vacation this afternoon :clap_1: and won't really get back into town for 4 to 5 weeks. Won't be doing any internet surfing while on vacation. Most of my time will be spent in Florida. So, if you see me slithering around, please only throw tomatoes or eggs--no rocks please.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Newcomer said:
Agreed with Landlord - the overall speculation has been daunting to say the least but IMHO values in places like Seaside, Rosemary Beach, Watercolor and her sister projects and Alys Beach will retain their value and hopefully see modest gains because there continues to be a real demand for the area and the more discriminating buyers shall be just that.
While I am not buying in Seaside, I do think it has strong potential to grow. Seaside is about to change the way in which most non-Seaside-residents see it. Have you guys seen the plans. When you drive down 30-A three years from now, you will not recognize Seaside town center.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
skier said:
Alan,

By the way, you won't have to deal with any more posts from me for a while. I head out on vacation this afternoon :clap_1: and won't really get back into town for 4 to 5 weeks. Won't be doing any internet surfing while on vacation. Most of my time will be spent in Florida. So, if you see me slithering around, please only throw tomatoes or eggs--no rocks please.
:rotfl: Have a great vacation skier. Good for you for getting away from it all. You shouldn't encourage the gallery to throw things, unless they are throwing offers your way.

iqueequeg

Beach Lover
Feb 2, 2005
Snowy Boston
Alys Beach prices seem out of whack to me. The lowest priced lot in the recent release was $785,000, a lot well north of 30a and fairly distant to the beach, with only an 18 month build out. Comparing apples to apples as much as possible:

http://www.peggygeppert.com/property.htm (scroll down)

$850,000 for a Watersound lot south of 30a, much easier walk to the beach, community further along.

Or;

http://rosemarybeach.com/realestate/homesites_listings.asp?search=3,All

3 Rosemary lots, priced $750,000 to $825,000, north of 30a, but in a community much further along than Alys Beach.

In my opinion, preconstruction is cheaper for a reason. There is the uncertainty as to whether the infrastructure will actually turn out to be what they say it will be (although EBSCO is a reputable company), plus you have to deal with all the construction nuisance (both yours and your neighbors).

I think Alys Beach is going to be nice, personal opinion of course, but if you accept that appreciation for the next couple of years is going to be flat, I think that if you?re interested in Alys Beach you?re better off letting someone else build, then buy a resale in 3 years.

I just wanted to add kudos to Kurt. I'm another lurker, but I must say this is the best run (and generally most civil) discussion board I've ever seen.

Travel2Much

Beach Lover
Jun 13, 2005
I live near Alys Beach and ride by there many times of late They are making amazing progress on it. Absent the condos at Watersound, they probably have more houses going up than at Watersound, or nearly so. I am beginning to "get" the Alys concept now that I can see the houses going up. When I saw their plans I was completely unable to see it.

While I don't like the architecture for my personal use, I can see the attractions. They have this really neat "compound" concept you can't build anywhere on 30A, so multi-generational families or even multi-families can live there separate or together (how's that for targeting the wealthy retirees looking to establish the family estate?--great idea). The downtown looks interesting. There is an international magazine shop that should be opening soon. The beaches on 30A east are substantially less crowded, and there is less traffic (subtract contractors in pick-ups, here).

So, close to Rosemary, first-mover on an innovative community, high end intellectual flair, the design factor. Lots to say for it for buying in. Also, some people might not want to live in a St. Joe community.

As a neighbor and a person who doesn't like flipping as a conceptual or economic matter, I am glad with the short build-out times. That is consistent in my view with things other people have said that these folk want to build a quality community, not just make piles of money.

Plus, their web site blisses me out.

STL Don

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
Cavallino said:
Let's get this thread back on Topic!!!
I believe it is entitled 'Let the bidding begin...Alys Beach'
Here are the results of the sealed bid process from a reliable source...

Fact #1 - It was a sellout
All Lots were sold during the sealed bid process

Fat #2 - Premium
The Lots were sold at an average 4% premium over minimum bid price.

Since the minimum bids on these lots were priced at a highest level to begin with......it appears to me that this result is indeed evidence that the upward trend is continuing.

I hope this is helpful.

Doug

I had the same nformation concerning lot sales.