• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lifeguards -- Do you want them on our public beaches in Walton Co.?

• Yes, I think we should have lifeguards on our public beaches in Walton Co.

Votes: 30 39.0%
  • No, I think we should let the public enter the water at their own risk.

Votes: 40 51.9%
  • I don't have enough info to make a decision or just don't care.

Votes: 7 9.1%

• Total voters

BeachDreamer

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2005
The Peaceful Piney Woods.
Why does it have to be either/or? Maybe the county could choose a few select locations in which to provide lifeguards, leaving the choice up to the public as to where they'd rather swim.

I am undecided on this issue. Lifeguards would keep more people in line and make the area safer.

On the other hand, parents or others who see a lifeguard on duty are likely to let their own guard down, or attempt to do things that they would never have attempted without knowing someone was there. So, danger may even be heightened rather than avoided.

JustBeachy

Beach Lover
Jun 11, 2005
Blue Mtn. Beach
Panama City has them, and I really don't see what a difference they make..I have my own built in lifeguard that travels wherever I go, at least until he heads off to college, so..

I'd hate to see our beaches get something like "Ed's"..then again BayWatch:So. Walton could be fun, if only they leave Hasselhoff at home!!! He frightens me!

Last edited by a moderator:

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
No. That many miles of beach cannot be effectively guarded and lifeguards give one a false sense of security. The occasional tragedy simply cannot be guarded against 100%. Part of the charm of the beaches is that they don't look and feel like a series of state parks, with lifeguard stations and parking lots and an increasing number of vehicles parked there all day. I vote for some more flag stations and educational materials for visitors, who might not otherwise understand the nature of the Gulf and the beaches. Not just water and critters, but intensity of sun there and "most dangerous intersections," etc. Should aesthetics trump public safety? No, but common sense goes a long way towards the avoidance of dangerous situations. :welcome:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
flipfloppammy said:
First of all I would like to comment on something I saw in another thread and question it. "Private beaches, such as Sandestin"....since when are ANY beaches in Walton County "private"? Just because you can't get access the beach through their security gates doesn't mean the "beach" is private, but from my understanding ALL beaches here are public...just not the accesses. Correct me if I am wrong, please. You can walk to any beach from any access or come in via the water.
Boy, that is a real question. I will give you a brief background. In Walton Co., I think the Gulf-front property lines extend to the mean high tide line, and therefore many Gulf-front owners scream that the beach between their home and the water is not public, but private. If the County put a stand if front of homes, we may have a big fight on our hands.

For the purposes of this poll, by "public" beaches, I mean the public access areas, where the County has flags.

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
That Hasselhoff thing is disturbing me.

CiaoBella

Beach Lover
Apr 20, 2005
I agree with Beach Dreamer. If anyone actually listened to what Mr. Ritter stated at the press conference, one would conclude that the counties in this area have some responsibility. Mr. Ritter stated his primary concern was for human life and planted the suggestion that changes should be made to attempt to decrease sharks from entering certain areas. He said that fishing areas, piers & etc. are too close to swimming areas. Perhaps lifeguards are not the answer but a "clean-up" of sorts.

Also, I am really disgusted at beach "homeowners" spouting nonsense out of their blowholes! Newsflash.....the beach is not yours and NEVER will be. The problem with most of you is that you have had everything handed to you and you don't know how to truly appreciate anything. Even if I was a billionare, I would never be so pretentious as to try and own a piece of a national treasure. Be thankful that you are so blessed and fortunate instead of griping because your view is obstructed. You people are unbelievable to those of us who have grown up with the beach!

:pissed:

So, I guess if any county wants to put a lifeguard stand up, they can do it where they darn well please!

:D

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Some guards in heavily used areas would be good. I'm talking about areas like Ed Walline Park or the Pompano Joe's park that have huge numbers of beachgoers every time the weather goes nice.

But it just doesn't make sense in an area like Tops'l Hill where you get a clump of sunbathers or swimmers every 50-100 yards along the beach. The cost-benefit just doesn't work out. And overall beachgoer density in Walton County is on the Tops'l end of the spectrum. Hit the popular public beach areas, and get a number of the bigger private areas (Sandestin, Seaside/Watercolor, Rosemary Beach) to supply their own guards, and you'll cover probably 80% of beachgoers on hot days.

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
JB said:
Do any of the other counties in the panhandle have lifeguards at their public beaches? If so, someone should do some research as to how well it works for them.

I am not adamently opposed to it. However, I would prefer to see Walton Co. direct their resources to more urgent areas (like learning how to properly restore beaches following a hurricane).

While visiting the area last May I spoke to the lifeguard down in Okaloosa County - Crystal Beach by the Crab Trap. He was putting out signs to close one section of the water due to a rip current being present. He stated that they only have lifeguards there on weekends.Saturday and Sunday from 9-5. Now that is is the high season I would imagine they are there everyday.