• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
I like the second choice better (the orange).

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
TFT, I don't understand why the Queen of Paint is so married to the cool wall colors. Is the other people who own the house with you who want to keep those colors?

andipandi

Beach Comber
Jul 12, 2006
I love slipcovers too. I have a Mitchelle Gold sofa and chaise that is over 10yrs old at our primary home with almost white slipcovers.It has been washed 100 times(cats and dogs on it) and still looks great!

I have a Rowe slipcovered sofa at the beach house in a chocolate brown (very soft texture). Purchased at Sandcastle's. It never shows dirt. I would want a slipcover I could throw in the washer. I hate the smell of dry cleaning fluids.
I love the blue. I have always dreamed of an ALL blue and white cottage.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Mermaid said:
TFT, I don't understand why the Queen of Paint is so married to the cool wall colors. Is the other people who own the house with you who want to keep those colors?

Oh, I am not married to the paint colors, though I do like the blue in the bunk room and the sunny yellow in the queen bedroom very much. I however am married to my cash flow (since I have to stare at the balance all the time) and can't imagine paying someone to paint the main portion of the interior, because it will cost a fortune in the SoWal market. I sure as heck can do it myself and can do a better job than 90 percent of pro and so-called-pro painters, but at nearly 7 months pregnant, I can't see any time that I can reasonably do it, especially since the color goes up the stairwell. But I can't stand to pay anyone to do it either. I mean really -- the idea of paying someone to do it makes me absolutely nuts.

Also, we will have to get the exterior painted soon, because the construction behind us (going on 2 years now) has really ruined the finish. And you know that means big $$$. So, an interior paint job is not in the budget. Cool pale greenish grey is going to have to stay, and it really does look better in person than in the photos. You can come over the week of NYE and see. We should be there! :clap_1:

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
andipandi said:
I love slipcovers too. I have a Mitchelle Gold sofa and chaise that is over 10yrs old at our primary home with almost white slipcovers.It has been washed 100 times(cats and dogs on it) and still looks great!

I have a Rowe slipcovered sofa at the beach house in a chocolate brown (very soft texture). Purchased at Sandcastle's. It never shows dirt. I would want a slipcover I could throw in the washer. I hate the smell of dry cleaning fluids.

Thanks for the input andipandi. White slipcovers in a beach house are soooo dreamy, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it for a rental. I would be wayyyyy too nervous. But I am really intrigued by the slipcover idea. What I need to do is go shopping with Mermaid!! Hey ... now that is an idea ... :scratch:

Unplugged

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2005
TooFarTampa said:
What holds up best at the beach?

Believe it or not, leather holds up very well at the beach: kids, pets, whatever you throw at it, it's almost indestructible compared to ordinary fabric. Leather cleans up easily and wears like iron and it pays for itself over-and-over again in the cost savings you receive by not having to dry clean or wash slip covers.

We have discovered through trial and error over the years that leather is the ultimate low-maintenance material for our rentals and looks much nicer IMO.

Food for thought...

KBB

Beach Lover
Nov 9, 2005
I purchased some microfiber sofas last year and after this rental season, I can say they did very well. Actually, a cotton pattern sofa and a denim sofa both received tears in them this summer. Its not just stains you have to look out for. If someone sits on the sofa with keys in their pants or if they are just rough, it can cause a tear.

Anyway, I have had good results with my microfibers and plan to buy more when needed to replace my other torn sofas. Only negative, is your choices are limited and usually most microfibers are solid colors.

Wastin Away

Beach Lover
Sep 20, 2005
andipandi said:

I have two Mitchellle Gold sofas at our beach house and they have done incredible. All the covers, cushion, back, sides, everything, I can put in the washing machine and they look like new. Everytime I go down there that is one thing I do because I know the housekeepers don't have time during the busy season. Also, I have a glider rocker that is also a Mitchelle Gold and I put a slip cover over it because it is easier. Anything I can slipcover I do because it is a lot cheaper replacing a slip cover than the furniture. The one thing I do also, which helps out my housekeeper, is I buy two of everything and leave the extra one in the owner closet so once a month they can change out everything and that cuts down on the wear of the slip covers and everything always seems clean.

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
Glad to hear this Rocco - We just purchased some microfiber sleeper-sofa and chair for our one unit in May and I am waiting to see how it survived the summer season when we get back down there in October.

I also agree with leather - we have a leather chair in another of our units and after six years it still looks great - except for the pen mark on the one side of the ottoman- how do you get that out?

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Wastin Away....I have the same set up. And, I have an OFF WHITE twill on my sofa! I had always wanted that look, and I was going to be damned to let renters stop me! So, we have two slipcovers for every piece of furniture, sofa and three chairs. The chairs have two different patterns, while the sofa is the same.