• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Thank you for chiming in everyone! Any of these options seems viable ... it is good to hear from others with different experiences. We are still deciding but we are taking all this info into consideration. Much appreciated. :clap_1:

P.S. Beachlover2 I don't think there's anything you can do about the pen mark. That is the one potential problem with leather. :sosad:

Unplugged

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2005
TooFarTampa said:
Thank you for chiming in everyone! Any of these options seems viable ... it is good to hear from others with different experiences. We are still deciding but we are taking all this info into consideration. Much appreciated. :clap_1:

P.S. Beachlover2 I don't think there's anything you can do about the pen mark. That is the one potential problem with leather. :sosad:
Leather is virtually maintenance-free as a furniture covering, but ink from a ballpoint pen is not the end of the world - and it's a very rare occurance even in a rental home.

Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) will remove ink from most fabrics as well as leather. Cuticle remover may be another solution: let it sit overnight, then wipe off with a soft cloth. Once the mark is removed, wash the area with Dove soap or leather cleaner.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
Unplugged said:
Leather is virtually maintenance-free as a furniture covering, but ink from a ballpoint pen is not the end of the world - and it's a very rare occurance even in a rental home.

Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) will remove ink from most fabrics as well as leather. Cuticle remover may be another solution: let it sit overnight, then wipe off with a soft cloth. Once the mark is removed, wash the area with Dove soap or leather cleaner.

Word of caution: The alcohol trick might work very well with a lighter leather couch, but it started taking the dye off my husband's darker recliner. Fortunately the mark does not show as badly either, and it has worn off a little bit. Have not tried the cuticle remover. :scratch:

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
Tried the alcohol - did not work - will give the cuticle remover a shot the next time we are down there - Thankfully it is in a not - obvious spot.

Thanks for the help.

30gAy

Beach Fanatic
Jul 4, 2006
The greater SoWal metro area
Airhead Designs of Sunshine Plaza in Santa Rosa Beach offers a wide selection of inflatable furniture.

Now, I know what you are thinking -but just consider the affordability, and practicality of this idea. It's as comfortable as an airbed and you'll never have to worry about that pesky storm surge issue again -your entire living room will simply float off to higher ground.

Designers Tiffany and Amber will be happy to assist you in the selection of new furniture. They have asked me point out the eco-friendly nature of their product as well -the air used to inflate the chairs was from polluted industrial cities and is a clever way to store and thereby reduce the amout of greenhouse gases that would otherwise be pumped into the atmosphere.

Glad I could help.

josebby

Beach Lover
Aug 14, 2005
I'm back from time at the beach! And while I'm no 30-gAy, I've got some thoughts on your decor.

You've got wonderful ideas about the bunk room, but maybe focus on the living area given budget constraints. The bunk room is great for what it is right now. If you want a change, try solid color quilts in a dark khaki which go with the carpet color to add depth to the room.

A couple ideas for the living area:

A change of thought! Think about keeping the sofas as they are and spending your current budget on changing the wall color, adding curtain panels the color of the walls, iron curtain rods and a couple comfy chairs in a neutral color.

Bring the chairs into a conversation area with the sofas. Choose a color now for the sofa slipcovers to coordinate with the chairs and do them as budget permits. Tone down the current sofa colors with a couple neutral pillows that blend with wall/curtain colors.

Your room would benefit from added depth and warmth. Wall color is the best way to add that. Do paint a warm neutral! Think about bringing small touches of the black from the kitchen into the living area (maybe dining chair upholstry?) and adding an oversized wood (white?) coffee table to put feet up on.

You have wonderful room sizes, a great kitchen and hardwood floors. Study Coastal Living Magazines and add some coastal touches. Replace the faux florals with hurricanes filled with shells found on the beach and so on.

Just my thoughts! Hope I helped a little. You've got a great place!

jo

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Mermaid said:
Here, take a look at this, from Sandcastle Designs:

http://www.sandcastledesigns.com/slipcover.htm

We've been very happy with the Rowe sofa we bought from them, so I can imagine that this line of sofas would be equally nice. It looks like you can choose slipcovers from whatever fabric you want, so this might be worth investigating!

I have a Rowe slipcover sofa where the pillows and cushions can be washed right in the washing machine. I have this in my den at home. Its cream colored. My nephews are on it all the time and we eat a lot of meals in that room as well. It's great. I wash it about twice a year, have had it for 9 years, and it still looks like brand new. Suggestion though, I have a commercial washing machine in my house due to hubby being in the business, and it is less stressful on the items than domestic washers.
I also wash them in cold, and let hang dry.
I am not sure if Rowe makes the sofas like that anymore. But Rowe sofas have extremely durable frames.

If you decide to buy slipcovers, I like the light blue denim idea and Khahi colors together. I am actually going to do that on my sofa in my rental . Its a Rowe as well, but I am not happy with the color. Its a burgandy with flower print. But it hides dirt well since my place sleeps up to 12 people, and they have lots of kids.

Britni

Beach Crab
Oct 13, 2008
Comfortable, accommodating, supportive. If only everything in life was as perfect.
Godrej Interio Home offers a complete range of furniture. You can choose to relax in the arms of beautiful sofa sets, or unwind on a range of coffee tables, home entertainment centers and showcases that complement your sofa set.
The living room accessories are necessary and at same time expensive components in setting a certain preferred mood or theme to display a overall comfortable and cool look.
-------------------
Britni

Guaranteed ROI

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
If you go with slipcovers get two sets. This allows them to be changed between renters and cleaned. Also it's cheaper to have them dry cleaned than a carpet cleaning company to come out and steam clean. Dry cleaners generally have better success getting stains out.

The easy solution is obviously a busy fabric in lots of colors. If you must go with white slipcovers definitely get two sets, be prepared to replace them regularly (at most two years), and if you feel confident about it provide a stain stick or clorox gel pen for renters to use. This may help keeping stains from being set when the cleaners finally arrive.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I love leather furniture - the stuff mom has gotten off abused leather in our family is amazing - she uses some $ leather conditioner for the major issues (like the chair that spent years in grandma's art studio).

Only issue w/ leather is the fade w/ darker colors.