• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
Hi there thank you for your response. Everything in Santa Rosa Beach is exaggerated now but definitely not my assessment of Entrepreneurship directly on the Emerald Coast

Please note, my posting actually Echoes your sentiments; I recommend Highway 98 and above, from Freeport up to DeFuniak and everything north.

I am honestly dissuading anybody from dreaming that they may acquire a business on 30A, because, quite simply, that requires a Herculean effort! Of course, if you're talking about investing in real estate there's still plenty of that to go around but the prices have skyrocketed and there is so much corporate investment that no one will see a sizeable return on their investment and that market. I relish the opportunity to converse with fellow business owners and analysts, like you, and appreciate the perspectives!
As the community matures and transitions to permanent residents there are lots of opportunities but yes the commercial spaces along 30A are sparse and overpriced.

Althea352

Beach Comber
Dec 1, 2010
Santa Rosa Beach
I have a concept and the funding. Finding the perfect space has been hard. I finally bit the bullet and just moved back full time, waiting for the perfect opportunity. Thinking I'll have more luck with boots on the ground. So if anyone knows of commercial space available ON 30A that isn't the space at Uptown Grayton, please keep me in mind. :)

UpNorth

Beach Lover
Apr 18, 2024
North
Hi there thank you for your response. Everything in Santa Rosa Beach is exaggerated now but definitely not my assessment of Entrepreneurship directly on the Emerald Coast

Please note, my posting actually Echoes your sentiments; I recommend Highway 98 and above, from Freeport up to DeFuniak and everything north.

I am honestly dissuading anybody from dreaming that they may acquire a business on 30A, because, quite simply, that requires a Herculean effort! Of course, if you're talking about investing in real estate there's still plenty of that to go around but the prices have skyrocketed and there is so much corporate investment that no one will see a sizeable return on their investment and that market. I relish the opportunity to converse with fellow business owners and analysts, like you, and appreciate the perspectives!
Agree. 30A is hard because the overhead is huge and there’s only so much overpriced tourist stuff you can sell; most of which isn’t even unique. Of the stuff the seems to work, it’s often a longtime local group or family that’s established relationships and owns the land their shop is on.

Same goes with real estate. There’s people who have been here longer, have better connections, know how to get things done. You see someone like Jason Romair doing his thing, and you know any opportunity you have in front of you is likely because guys like that already passed on it.

I am in the same boat as you, hoping to eventually find something that’s compelling, but until then I keep my remote job and occasionally buy some St Joe stock which is good enough for now.

Theresa Marie

Beach Comber
Mar 21, 2021
Bloomfield Hills, Mi
Agree. 30A is hard because the overhead is huge and there’s only so much overpriced tourist stuff you can sell; most of which isn’t even unique. Of the stuff the seems to work, it’s often a longtime local group or family that’s established relationships and owns the land their shop is on.

Same goes with real estate. There’s people who have been here longer, have better connections, know how to get things done. You see someone like Jason Romair doing his thing, and you know any opportunity you have in front of you is likely because guys like that already passed on it.

I am in the same boat as you, hoping to eventually find something that’s compelling, but until then I keep my remote job and occasionally buy some St Joe stock which is good enough for now.
You're darn right!
Incidentally, what is Saint Joe, the Patron Saint of greed and glutton, shares going for these days, pray tell?

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
You're darn right!
Incidentally, what is Saint Joe, the Patron Saint of greed and glutton, shares going for these days, pray tell?

Still overpriced in my opinion. The model is to replace land holdings with revenue generators like clubs, hotels and commercial with some housing; all of it predicated on tourism.

From what I've heard they've bit off way more than they can chew in regards to hotels. Perhaps with their employee housing coming online they can reverse some of the staffing issues.

UpNorth

Beach Lover
Apr 18, 2024
North
Still overpriced in my opinion. The model is to replace land holdings with revenue generators like clubs, hotels and commercial with some housing; all of it predicated on tourism.

From what I've heard they've bit off way more than they can chew in regards to hotels. Perhaps with their employee housing coming online they can reverse some of the staffing issues.
Now imagine not having free land, free advertising, no employee housing or greased wheels to get in labor from the Caribbean, and trying to make that venture work? Deck is so stacked against the regular guy who’s got some entrepreneurial spirit and a few million bucks to play with here.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Now imagine not having free land, free advertising, no employee housing or greased wheels to get in labor from the Caribbean, and trying to make that venture work? Deck is so stacked against the regular guy who’s got some entrepreneurial spirit and a few million bucks to play with here.

There's no special grease to get international labor here, just a willingness to sponsor them, put them up and provide transportation.

UpNorth

Beach Lover
Apr 18, 2024
North
There's no special grease to get international labor here, just a willingness to sponsor them, put them up and provide transportation.
Ya well I lack the resources to shack more than a handful of em in my medium sized Huff house. So rule me out.