• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Faith Powers

Beach Comber
May 6, 2020
Connecticut
Most people have no clue there is at least a 50 foot buffer required for every waterfront lot in SoWal - you can't cut or landscape within 50 feet. Yet almost every waterfront lot I see these days are cleared right to the water. Even worse often they plant grass and fertilize a bunch and the runoff is pollution.
I’d love to have no grass and just a natural yard. I lived on a lake for years and know about runoff. It’s not healthy for our waters and can be avoided.

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
The beautiful landscape is the reason we love it here. I have a lot to learn about plants down here. So different from what I’m used to.
Many People from the cities see our wildflowers and think they're weeds. They see our magnificent coastal landscape and call it scrub.

They see our pristine forests and want to pave roads through it.

There are native plant walk and talks at the state parks. Embrace the rare beauty 9f SoWal.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
The beautiful landscape is the reason we love it here. I have a lot to learn about plants down here. So different from what I’m used to.
Two words, cold hardy.
I learned this lesson the hard way. These big box nurseries will sell anything.

bob1

Beach Fanatic
Jun 26, 2010
I’d love to have no grass and just a natural yard. I lived on a lake for years and know about runoff. It’s not healthy for our waters and can be avoided.
Sure! I inherited a yard with mostly trees and some grass. I have ignored the grass and it is becoming beautifully wild and the butterflies and bees love it.

bob1

Beach Fanatic
Jun 26, 2010
Two words, cold hardy.
I learned this lesson the hard way. These big box nurseries will sell anything.
It is ridiculous how much non-native plants are planted around here. And we have so many beautiful ones that are native and thrive.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
It is ridiculous how much non-native plants are planted around here. And we have so many beautiful ones that are native and thrive.

You mean like the development that owns a palm tree farm to replace their non-native species?

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
You mean like the development that owns a palm tree farm to replace their non-native species?
Only cabbage palms in NoFla!

I wish there was incentive to only use native plants. Oh that's right, there is! Cold hardiness, drought tolerance, and food and shelter for local animals.

I guess we nned a law to get people to be sensible.

SUP Boarder

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2019
Seacrest
Only cabbage palms in NoFla!

I wish there was incentive to only use native plants. Oh that's right, there is! Cold hardiness, drought tolerance, and food and shelter for local animals.

I guess we nned a law to get people to be sensible.

No law, but there is an ordinance...

Local Florida friendly landscaping ordinance

Whew. I'm feeling really good now about my all native landscape...replanted longleaf pines, Choctawhatchee sand pines, fakahatchee grass, saw palmettos, beautyberry, and of course muhly grass. No watering necessary!

UF/IFAS Extension has a great Florida-Friendly Landscaping Program and resources