• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Today [Sunday, June 9, 2103] at approximately 5: 45 pm, the South Walton Fire District responded to two unconscious victims in the Gulf of Mexico behind the area of S. Spooky Lane in South Walton.

An unidentified male had entered the gulf and was apparently caught in a rip current and taken under water. A second unidentified male entered the gulf in an attempt to rescue the first male. At this time, the second male was also overcome by the rip current and taken under.

SWFD Lifeguards responded from the closest towers located 1\2 mile from the victims. Within minutes, 3 SWFD guards entered the water and retrieved both male victims.
Once on shore SWFD Paramedics were able to sustain a pulse in one victim and quickly transport him to the hospital where his condition is unknown at this time. The other victim was pronounced dead. His identify is unknown at this time.

At the time both victims entered the water, red flags were flying and weather conditions were rain with lightning in the area. This was an unguarded beach area.

SWFD continues to urge all beach goers to obey the flag warning system at all times.
For more information contact Sammy Sanchez, Fire Marshal/ PIO at ssanchez@swfd.org

This is so sad. I know that people want to get the most of their vacation week at the beach, but flags should not be ignored. Next time rent a place with a community pool. Then you won't be tempted to get into the Gulf when there were red flags.

Maybe those swimming in the Gulf with red flags should be a charged with an infraction of the law.

tomboymuldowney

Beach Comber
Jul 3, 2012
This is so sad. I know that people want to get the most of their vacation week at the beach, but flags should not be ignored. Next time rent a place with a community pool. Then you won't be tempted to get into the Gulf when there were red flags.

Maybe those swimming in the Gulf with red flags should be a charged with an infraction of the law.

Their lack of judgement puts others at risk as well trying to save them. Prayers for their family but please obey the warnings.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
Update this morning from NW Florida Daily News. Both have died. Please, please stay out of the water during red flag conditions.. It is not uncommon for the rescuer to drown with you.

Two men drowned Sunday after getting caught in rip currents in the Gulf of Mexico behind an area of South Spooky Lane, according to the Walton County Sheriff’s Office offense report.

Witnesses called lifeguards at the beach access stating that 44-year-old Memphis, Tenn. resident Annazar Nazarov was 75 yards off shore and a civilian, 48-year-old William Haithcox of Spartenburg, S.C. went into the water in an attempt to save him.

Firefighters responded at 5:45 p.m., according to a South Walton Fire Department news release.

Lifeguards responded from the closest towers located half a mile from the men, the news release reported. Three lifeguards entered the water within minutes and rescued both men.

Both men were pronounced dead after being transported to Sacred Heart Hospital on the Emerald Coast.

A red flag was flying and weather conditions were rain with lightning in the area, the SWFD reported. This was an unguarded beach area.
http://www.nwfdailynews.com/local/update-two-dead-after-caught-in-rip-current-1.156629?tc=cr

Last edited by a moderator:

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
In this case, I don't think there is anything the county could have done to have prevented this. You can fly all the flags you want, but the bottom line is, if you feel like going for a swim in weather like we had yesterday (with severe T-storms and lightning) you really have limited at best ability on how to properly account for potential risk.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
I believe there is a fine for swimming when red flags are flying but I doubt that anything other than a warning is issued in most cases. " Stupid is as stupid does" to quote a famous persons' Mama. Maybe a scoreboard of fatalities occurring under red flag conditions should be posted at every access during season.

Cathy Goode

Beach Crab
Apr 19, 2010
Just spoke to my sister in Blue Mountain Beach. About an hour ago, a man was pulled out of the water. CPR was done until and after paramedics got there. Does not sound good. She said there was a red flag flying but now they have changed it to 2 red flags. I'm so glad I ALWAYS follow the red flag rules even when everyone else wants to go in because they are "good swimmers". So sad!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
This was posted about 4 hours ago, before the change to double red:

There have been 10 water rescues so far today. Please be reminded that our Walton County beaches are under a red and purple flag warning, and entering the Gulf past your knees is very hazardous. Most that enter are not familiar with the strength of the surf and exceed their capabilities. There has also been reports of jellyfish in the area. PLEASE USE CAUTION AND ADHERE TO THE FLAGS AND REMEMBER KNEE DEEP IS TOO DEEP.

Flag Warning System:
•Double Red Flag: Water is closed to public (dangerous water conditions)
•Red Flag: High Hazard (high surf and/or strong currents)
•Yellow Flag: Medium Hazard (moderate surf and/or currents)
•Green Flag: Low Hazard (calm conditions, exercise caution)
•Purple Flag: Marine Pests Present (jellyfish, stingrays, dangerous fish)

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
I believe there is a fine for swimming when red flags are flying but I doubt that anything other than a warning is issued in most cases. " Stupid is as stupid does" to quote a famous persons' Mama. Maybe a scoreboard of fatalities occurring under red flag conditions should be posted at every access during season.

Or we could try a bit of sensitivity and and compassion rather than insulting the dearly departed and their families. One of whom died as a hero trying to save a life of a stranger. Your scoreboard idea is one of the most callous and insensitive things I've seen in a long time.

Last edited: