• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

kitlit

Beach Fanatic
Dec 11, 2007
Seagrove Beach
Was at Publix this afternoon and was talking to one of the employees about the weather.

Had a young man behind me speak up and ask, "What's the deal with the two red flags? Does that mean it's illegal to go in the water? It's got an X over the swimmer, but the water doesn't look so rough..."

We explained it to him, and he was very interested and attentive. Told him that it was not only about laws, but about safety. I told him about rip currents and how quickly you could be pulled out and under... He said he had heard someone died. His father (I assume) looked at us a little strangely when he walked up on the three of us talking, but it was nice to see his interest and desire to comply with the rules. Hope that he will take the information to heart, as well as share it with others.

Having worked in resort rentals in Seagrove for many years, it can be disheartening to hear our tourists say things along the lines of, "I just paid $_______.__ and I'll swim if I want to!" but I think it's really important to recognize those moments where our guests are genuinely seeking advice and information. Sometimes it really IS lack of knowing any better, which is unfortunate.

Last edited:

justhavinfun

Beach Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
Eastern Lake
I just spoke with a gent who works for a beach chair rental company in Seagrove - He stated there were over 20 rescues today alone and the possibility of multiple drownings. I watched both local newscasts but have not been able to confirm. Hope this is not the case but can't help but wonder and pray

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
Or we could try a bit of sensitivity and and compassion rather than insulting the dearly departed and their families. One of whom died as a hero trying to save a life of a stranger. Your scoreboard idea is one of the most callous and insensitive things I've seen in a long time.

Ok, the scoreboard quote was a bit unfortunate, but the idea of posting drowning statistics has been mentioned before. Awareness and education is key to warning our visiters and a jolt to the senses might make an impact. The argument has been not to scare our tourists from the beaches, but it just may make an impact. An open, thoughtful and respectful disussion may help come up with more ideas. How about requiring the guest who checks into an accommodation to register for flag updates from the TDC or SWFD? The website update should make clear what flag is flying that day and what it means. It can also mention the drownings in the past 10 years and the dangers to someone and others who may try to rescue a loved one or even a stranger. Thoughts?

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Or we could try a bit of sensitivity and and compassion rather than insulting the dearly departed and their families. One of whom died as a hero trying to save a life of a stranger. Your scoreboard idea is one of the most callous and insensitive things I've seen in a long time.

Sensitivity and compassion are a waste of time on the stupid people who insist on going in the water no matter what. They need a good smack in the head with a 2X4 and a hefty fine instead of the coddling which is usually meted out by this county. I feel bad for the good samaratin and his family. Had the offender lived he should have been charged with reckless homocide and jailed.

justhavinfun

Beach Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
Eastern Lake
I was not trying to be insensitive at all but it seems the beach flag system even double red flags does not seem to work without some sort of consequences or enforcement by our local authorities. I have approached numerous visitors during the last week and attempted to explain the reasoning behind the flag system with little to no acceptance and a few snide remarks. The beach patrol is understaffed and overwhelmed and until the safety patrols and lifeguard staffing of our beaches is consumate with the amount of visitors enjoying guests our beaches we will continue to have this problem.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I think we need better signage and consequences for offenders.

Wave safely is a joke. Seymore was cool and easy to understand. That sign needs to be everywhere and more billboards and education needs to occur.

Posting the death toll seems callous, but it is the only way to show the horrible consequences of disregarding the flags.

It is tragic that people are dying so stupidly, and horrible that people's disregard for the flags is endangering good Samaritans and our emergency personnel.

I am a very strong swimmer and often choose to not swim on yellow flag days if there are strong currents. Going anywhere near the water when there are red flags is not safe for the vast majority of our visitors.

Swim on red, end up dead!

Last edited:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
So sad. I wonder if the supermarkets and grocery stores in the area could be provided with stickers or Seymore handouts to give to all shoppers at check-out. The stickers/handouts could be provided by the TDC and offered as a public service by the supermarkets and grocery stores. Most renters will go to the supermarket when they arrive for their vacation, and this is a good way to get the word out. Undoubtedly, some people will ignore the flags anyway, but it will certainly increase awareness and show SoWal's commitment to keeping visitors safe. All rental agencies could/should give the Seymore handout to renters when they check in.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
So sad. I wonder if the supermarkets and grocery stores in the area could be provided with stickers or Seymore handouts to give to all shoppers at check-out. The stickers/handouts could be provided by the TDC and offered as a public service by the supermarkets and grocery stores. Most renters will go to the supermarket when they arrive for their vacation, and this is a good way to get the word out. Undoubtedly, some people will ignore the flags anyway, but it will certainly increase awareness and show SoWal's commitment to keeping visitors safe. All rental agencies could/should give the Seymore handout to renters when they check in.

I can't tell you how many times we have suggested getting the businesses actually visited by tourists involved in this mission.:bang: Visitors go to the grocery store when they arrive, not the TDC welcome center.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Probably because they can actually get to the grocery store when entering town ;)
A visitor center that is inaccessible to people entering town is dumber than swimming on a red flag day!

I would like to see grocery kiosks, billboards (with actual information, not a text service), and magnetic signs on all the beach maintenance vehicles.

Chaser

Beach Comber
Feb 12, 2013
I think the planes flying banners advertising for happy hours should be used to tell people to get out of the water. I also think posting statistics of rescues and drownings should be known to tourist. I know when I used to vacation down here, I never heard about drownings. That would have gotten my attention. I love the way doughnut hole puts the flag system on their bags and wish more places would do that.