• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
I've said it before and I'll say it again..."STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES". When people go right back into the water after the beach patrol leaves, after being warned as to what the double red flag means ( I've seen this first hand )I think there is nothing that will impress these people. Maybe they ought to be forced to leave the beach with all their belongings if caught ignoring the flags - no exceptions.

The exception would have be to surfers. They already tried it years ago and were shut down immediately. You wanna see a fight. Try to ban surfers from the water. Double red flags, and red flags are play days in my world and community. My gosh. These waves and rips are nothing like in CA. or HI. Educate, educate and know people will still drown. We can't control everything folks.

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
We actually use rips to paddle out in on big days. I have always taught my kids to not get in unless they are attached to something. That's a rule I know will stick. Telling people they cant do something has never ever worked in the history of people. Just ask Adam and Eve.

Last edited:

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
If you get caugh in a rip and have the ability to float on your back for long periods, isn't it a fairly simple matter to get washed back in to shore once you get out of it? Or will a rip carry you all the way to Mexico? I'm talking about for a moderately strong swimmer who can float. I haven't done much swimming in a while, so I don't currently trust my own fitness, but I never used to worry about swimming even when conditions were at their worst. I didn't know better, didn't care, had a great time, and have no regrets.

I think a person could have a lot of fun in rough surf just wearing a life jacket. At least you'd be able to keep your head above water, and you'd make it back to shore eventually, like I always did back in the day without a flotation device.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I've said it before and I'll say it again..."STUPID IS AS STUPID DOES". When people go right back into the water after the beach patrol leaves, after being warned as to what the double red flag means ( I've seen this first hand )I think there is nothing that will impress these people. Maybe they ought to be forced to leave the beach with all their belongings if caught ignoring the flags - no exceptions.

I believe this stupid phrase being used over and over in this forum seems to indicate that there is becoming a serious disconnect from reality. If any of you believe that you are not fully capable of making an error in judgement (doing something stupid) then you must also believe that you are a superior human to the rest of us. The issue should not be who is superior in intelligence but how do we solve the problem. It is stupid to believe that the red flags will work 100% of the time. I do not have the answer but this forum's ridiculous notion that these drownings are anything other than a very unfortunate tragedy caused by a misunderstood or respected force is appalling. I am losing respect for this kind of thinking...

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
If you get caugh in a rip and have the ability to float on your back for long periods, isn't it a fairly simple matter to get washed back in to shore once you get out of it? Or will a rip carry you all the way to Mexico?
[...]

Floating is absolutely the best idea ... if you can do it. But floating in rough seas is not easy. If there's high surf you might have several rows of breaking waves. Past the surf zone you still have the up and down swell and some pretty good chop usually.

A rip will not carry you to Mexico. Whether it rotates you back towards shallower water or not depends. A lot of sites talk about them doing this, but not all rip currents are the same. Some will carry you out beyond the breakers and leave you. Some will carry you out and, if you float long enough, circulate you back toward shallower water. Even if you are a strong swimmer, the best tactic is to avoid struggling, conserve energy, and float as much as possible.

A lot of sites say the idea of swimming parallel to or at an angle to shore is outdated and tends to add to fatalities because it's just another expenditure of energy leading to exhaustion, hyperventilation, and loss of ability to float. The first suggestion shouldn't be to try to swim anywhere, but to relax, float, and breath.

If you have a lifejacket, boogie board, or some other form of flotation, I believe you could survive any rip every time.

Aside from the rip currents, another problem is the surf. Most people don't know how to handle minor surf let alone the kind of surf you get during reds and double reds. Learning some simple tactics like duck diving to avoid getting pummeled by waves, and not turning your back to the waves would help. Getting back in through surf is probably more difficult than going out through surf.