• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
drsvelte said:
The Maw Maw's place reminds me of a Po-folk's and does seem a little out of character in Baytowne.

Are the drinks served in Mason jars too?

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
30A Skunkape said:
There is no good BBQ in Louisiana unless you do it yourself! Po-Folks does have pretty good fried chicken. It passes my fried chicken litmus test-it takes a long time to get it to the table. Fried chicken takes a long time to do correctly, so if you have it come right out, you can bet it was sitting under an orange lightbulb :roll:

I didn't realize LA didn't have their own BBQ - I guess they have everything else that is just to die for.

IMO, Florida ranks pretty low on the BBQ map too. We like it bama style...

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Tootsie said:
I didn't realize LA didn't have their own BBQ - I guess they have everything else that is just to die for.

IMO, Florida ranks pretty low on the BBQ map too. We like it bama style...

Oh gosh, north Florida BBQ is in the wonderful pseudo-Carolina style you find in Alabama and Georgia that I love so much. Nothing wrong with Memphis, St Louis or Texas (please don't start the BBQ wars which are second in acridity to only Shelly and any bullish person debating economics :rotfl: )I just like the hillbilly style :clap_1: .

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
30A Skunkape said:
please don't start the BBQ wars which are second in acridity to only Shelly and any bullish person debating economics

Keeping my fingers clear of the keyboard this time. Can't believe I was referred to as a "BBQ snob".

Beach Goddess

Beach Lover
Jul 8, 2006
I saw bbq mentioned and it's funny, my husband was craving bbq the whole time we were down there and it seemed like every block or so there was a bbq place. But he refused since pork is usually the speciality and ,living just next door to Texas, bbq to us is beef and spicy, not sweet like the Carolina style. We went to Jim and Nick's last year and didn't quite like it. I guess we are Texas bbq snobs just because that is what we are used to. Something about crossing that border into Texas makes the "q' taste better.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
miramargal said:
I saw bbq mentioned and it's funny, my husband was craving bbq the whole time we were down there and it seemed like every block or so there was a bbq place. But he refused since pork is usually the speciality and ,living just next door to Texas, bbq to us is beef and spicy, not sweet like the Carolina style. We went to Jim and Nick's last year and didn't quite like it. I guess we are Texas bbq snobs just because that is what we are used to. Something about crossing that border into Texas makes the "q' taste better.

Down here we have BBQ joints about every 10 miles on average. B'ham and other southern cities have BBQ on every block.

Carolina style is mustard based (north) or vinegar based (south). Sweet sauce is prevalent throughout the south, and probably anywhere you find BBQ. I find Jim & nick's at Sandestin inedible. The one in B'ham is probably good or it wouldn't survive. There is a lot of good BBQ in B'ham to compete with.

I would love to write one of those books about BBQ across America, but I just ate some and I'm too full so I think I'll just read about it.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
When my daddy get's moved up here closer to me..you all must come to our annual July 4th Bar B Q, because my daddy makes the best ribs you have ever tasted in your life......ever, I mean it!!!!!

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
All I know is we are having a SoWalgent at this place in October. I gots to git me some of Maw Maw's cookin'!!!

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Jim and Nick's is the only only restaurant in SoWal where I had a horrible, horrible meal and experience. The only place in 6 years! I will Never recommend them to anyone.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Sueshore said:
All I know is we are having a SoWalgent at this place in October. I gots to git me some of Maw Maw's cookin'!!!
Send me some money for about four lunches and I will be your ginnea pig and give you a full critique. Often, it is best to try a place 3 or 4 times, sampling the menu and making sure that they weren't lucky, or having a bad day, prior to giving a full review. I would guess about $50 will cover the four visits.;-)