• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
Press Release
Memorial Day Weekend Safety and Sobriety Checkpoint
Walton County, FL (May 24, 2010)- The Walton County Sheriff?s Office will be conducting a Safety and Sobriety Checkpoint on the Westbound roadway of Scenic Highway 30-A, 1.4 miles East of Highway 98, in Santa Rosa Beach. The Checkpoint will be on Sunday, May 30, starting at midnight and concluding at 4:00 AM.
This checkpoint is not only to detect and apprehend alcohol and drug-impaired drivers, but also to increase the public?s awareness of the DUI problem, encourage drivers to use good judgment and moderation when planning to drive, and to encourage persons who consume an alcoholic beverage to seek and choose alternate methods of transportation rather than driving themselves.
The Walton County Sheriff?s Office is committed to promoting safety for motorists using the public highways and providing a deterrent for those who violate laws that regulate and control motor vehicle traffic. The WCSO reminds everyone to obey traffic laws and encourages everyone to have a fun and safe Memorial Day weekend.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Thanks AL! am i reading that right though, the westbound traffic on the West end of 30A, that would be right around Butler? Too many directions in one sentence and i'm :shock:

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
Thanks AL! am i reading that right though, the westbound traffic on the West end of 30A, that would be right around Butler? Too many directions in one sentence and i'm :shock:

That's how I read this. Great heads up~~~~~~

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
If I'm reading that right then the drunks leaving Stinky's should head East and go up 393?

Butler sounds right since it will give them a parking lot to utilize for sobriety and safety checks.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Just an observation. And Arizona stops people for a reason and all hell breaks loose in the media? Back to the thread.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Just an observation. And Arizona stops people for a reason and all hell breaks loose in the media? Back to the thread.

It's 2AM you're driving back from the airport. Do you want a sober illegal immigrant on your tail or a drunk?

Also it's one spot for one night, not random pulling of vehicles based on skin color.

Last edited:

Desso

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2008
At that particular spot, they should do a pretty brisk business. I will be curious see what they come up with. I wish they wouldn't announce the times and the spots. Do they do this for a legal reason or is it a just a courtesy to drunk drivers?

Lynnie

SoWal Insider
Apr 18, 2007
SoBuc
At that particular spot, they should do a pretty brisk business. I will be curious see what they come up with. I wish they wouldn't announce the times and the spots. Do they do this for a legal reason or is it a just a courtesy to drunk drivers?

You won't find annoucements like this here, that's for certain. :blink:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
It's 2AM you're driving back from the airport. Do you want a sober illegal immigrant on your tail or a drunk?

Also it's one spot for one night, not random pulling of vehicles based on skin color.
First of all, I won't be out at that time of night any longer, so it doesn't matter. I also suggest you understand that the Arizona law is not based on skin color as much as you might like it to be. Anyway you look at it, it is, to me, an invasion of privacy. I don't really care if it is one spot for one night or every night in many spots. I have always been against police check points in this nation unless they are necessary in a security situation. Sometimes, SWGB, for all your intelligence, your rationale on life escapes me, but then maybe its an age differenciation thing.

Last edited: