• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
I am still missing your point here. I asked you to help me out and explain your position. I make no claims on being an expert. I sell Real Estate. I bring in experts when I need a wetland determination. Wetland determinations are made by soil samples and visual foliage by trained experts in that area. I surely do not call the mosquito guy.

The soil test is done to see if there are hydric soils. If the land being checked has been disturbed, the plant species that would naturally grow in wet areas may not always be present, but a core soil sample can determine it.

Last edited:

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Can you help me out here? I was unaware of our twice daily tidal activity here, other than on the shoreline of the Gulf. Where does this activity happen?

Also, since when did Palmettos and Dollar Weed plants determine wetlands?

Did you know there was another shoreline? It's called the Choctawhatchee Bay.
Since they determined those plants grow in what's considered wet land.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Your personal anecdotes aside; I suspect that in the ?ole days? there weren?t nearly as many people in south Walton and the impact of one individual was negligible to the overall ecology.

I am more comfortable following the guidance, (and regulations) of educated civil and environmental professionals than with ?the way we always did it? mentality.

Well put, Uncle Timmy!

I doubt that there is anyone reading this that would not agree that they can gain wisdom from a knowledgable experienced elder who has not gone to college. And that experience is one of the best teachers.

There are strictly academic types, but there are also so very many people who are experienced in their fields of expertise as well as having studied it and continue to keep themselves up to date.

This message board is a treasure chest of a variety of expertise and experiences.

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Well put, Uncle Timmy!

I doubt that there is anyone reading this that would not agree that they can gain wisdom from a knowledgable experienced elder who has not gone to college. And that experience is one of the best teachers.

There are strictly academic types, but there are also so very many people who are experienced in their fields of expertise as well as having studied it and continue to keep themselves up to date.

This message board is a treasure chest of a variety of expertise and experiences.

Exactly! All the data must be included before a reasonable judgment is made. Don't just believe the first one who comes along. Do some investigation for yourself! Just because someone has "accreditations", doesn't mean they were deserved! Use that grey matter 'tween your ears! Search it out for yourself! You might be surprised. Frankly, not all "elders" are wise either, yet we still suffer the consequences of our own decisions regardless.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Exactly! All the data must be included before a reasonable judgment is made. Don't just believe the first one who comes along. Do some investigation for yourself! Just because someone has "accreditations", doesn't mean they were deserved! Use that grey matter 'tween your ears! Search it out for yourself! You might be surprised. Frankly, not all "elders" are wise either, yet we still suffer the consequences of our own decisions regardless.
I think this may be your best post yet. It is certainly one in which I applaud the message. :clap_1: