• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
Concrete man, not asphalt.
Gotcha. Someone on the architectural review board for his house said he had something to do with road building, so I assumed asphalt.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
phdphay said:
Gotcha. Someone on the architectural review board for his house said he had something to do with road building, so I assumed asphalt.
Being a concrete man, Charlie probably cut himself a deal on the materials for his house.

Camp Creek Kid

Christini Zambini
Feb 20, 2005
Seacrest Beach
Charlie Hilton actually formed his own construction company to build the house because he couldn't find a contractor who would tackle it. I go to a church with a woman who works for Charlie's wife. Ironically, the Hiltons (the local ones) own most of the motels in Panama City. Anyway, all the rumors about the house are rumors. In fact, Charlies wife has said that if they knew how long construction was going to take, they would never have attempted to build the house. While the house is 9,500 square feet, the volume is much larger because of the open design.

The house next door (the one that everyone likes) was designed by Philip Spann. Philip told my husband that there is $1,000,000 worth of materials in that house.

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
I think I heard or read that the Hilton House in Paradise by the Sea across from/adjacent to Alys Beach in the Seacreast area is designed in the shape of a Dove? Anyone heard that too? My boys rant and rave about the house but we all just can't believe how long it is taking to complete.

wetwilly said:
I think I heard or read that the Hilton House in Paradise by the Sea across from/adjacent to Alys Beach in the Seacreast area is designed in the shape of a Dove? Anyone heard that too? My boys rant and rave about the house but we all just can't believe how long it is taking to complete.

I have heard Seagull and waves:dunno:

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
RiverOtter said:
I have heard Seagull and waves:dunno:

http://mfproducts.nos.noaa.gov/storms/dennis/19422219.jpg

This is the link to the NOAA's satellite photo. Zoom in for the best view. I can't figure it out, but it definitely has wings.

Funny, from 30-A, it still looks like a cruise ship or yacht to me. :dunno:

Those dunes look pretty close. For his neighbor too.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread....50&page=1&pp=30

http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php?t=475&highlight=hilton

http://www.arthurdyson.com

HILTON RESIDENCE

Panama City, Florida (under construction)

Nestled amid the sand dunes on the Gulf of Mexico at Panama City, Florida, the Hilton residence contains 9,500 square feet of living space. Primary rooms are suspended on concrete pods at various levels within a greenhouse structure of coral-tinted reflective glazing. One interior stairway encircles a glass-enclosed elevator, while another winds around fully grown native palms. The top lacuna of an exterior two-level saltwater swimming pool fountains into the lower basin, then enters the interior by flowing beneath the edge of a glazed wall. Tiered roof wings sweep upward, forming a series of clerestories that shield the open floor plan from excessive sun exposure while presenting unobstructed views of the oceanfront during daytime and allowing stargazing at night. Remote-controlled fabric panels placed strategically over the glazing provide additional solar protection.

Interior spaces flow freely without walls or partitions, while scale and volume are tempered through the placement of palms and other tropical flora. Level changes rhythmically establish area separations and maximize direct ocean views. The varying colors and textures of terraces, walls, planters, and pools avoid sharp definitions of boundary, integrating the the interior and exterior of the home into a sense of contained movement. The gestures of the form join harmoniously with the surrounding swell of seabird, ocean waves, and sand dunes that embrace an exceptional building site. Everything set forward for the program by the clients indicated a desire for fluidity. All the exterior benefits of the site, such as sea breezes and ocean sunsets, are integrated into the residence to establish a refuge from the hectic pace of a busy business life and create a soothing place to relax, read, and write.

BeachDreamer

Beach Fanatic
Mar 19, 2005
The Peaceful Piney Woods.
Okay, I am impressed. I admit to being one of the ones who thought this house was a ridiculous looking behemoth of concrete rising up out of the sand. (Ugly ugly ugly, very commercial looking.) But the inside sounds amazing. Maybe they will show it on the Travel Channel if they ever get it done.

Hey, if future hurricanes introduce it to the sea, they could probably seal it airtight and have the first underwater habitat dome complete with elevator.

bsullie

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
Seacrest Florida
Camp Creek Kid said:
Charlie Hilton actually formed his own construction company to build the house because he couldn't find a contractor who would tackle it. I go to a church with a woman who works for Charlie's wife. Ironically, the Hiltons (the local ones) own most of the motels in Panama City. Anyway, all the rumors about the house are rumors. In fact, Charlies wife has said that if they knew how long construction was going to take, they would never have attempted to build the house. While the house is 9,500 square feet, the volume is much larger because of the open design.

The house next door (the one that everyone likes) was designed by Philip Spann. Philip told my husband that there is $1,000,000 worth of materials in that house.

First post! had to jump in to say hi and direct y'alll to
www.arthurdyson.com for a good look at the architect and this house which looks lke the Titanic to me! Love this site and all the info for lovers of SoWal. We bought in Seacrest last year with an ongoing love affair with the area. Thanks for all the great pictures and info!!