• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Wastin Away

Beach Lover
Sep 20, 2005
We had something similar happen to our dishwasher at our beach house. We think our problem was acutally caused by us. The dishes that we purchased, (heavy duty ceramic from Crate and Barrel so that if you dropped them they would not break), was actually too heavy for the drawer when loaded and when the guests kept bringing the drawer out to unload it finally tooks its toll on the door hindges when in turn caused it to be hard to shut when it turn caused the guests to push harder to close and the latch evertually broke. We don't know for sure that is what happened but between the dishwasher and the washer/dryer these applicances are the ones most used week after week after week. My husband and I talked about a heavy duty stainless steel dishwasher, which is what I have at home, but like he said these are not made to be used like ones in a rental home. We ended up replacing it with a new model of what was in there, a fridigdaire. We wanted to keep all of the applicances the same and I am sure like everyone else we have that typically builder package. I don't know if I would invest loads of money just for the fact that if something happens to the higher end it will cost even more to fix or replace. These applicances take a beating and our salesman told us that we are luckly if we get 3-5 years worth of wear with them being in a rental home, and a beach home in fact that has a lot of turnover each year.

Good Luck.

pmd8

Beach Lover
Jul 27, 2005
I have a Maytag which cost about $350 and has given me years of trouble free service. If you can, get a dishwasher with a knob rather than an electronic keypad. Those are usually the first things to go.

My dad has a KitchenAid which has given him nothing but problems. Bosch units are nice but expensive and the installation can sometimes require special fittings.

I've seen some pretty good ratings on Maytag. Anyone have any exterience with GE? Or Frigidaire (other than TFT's bad experience)? We had a GE for many years with absolutely no problems, but don't know if they're any good any more.

pmd8, you're right that a knob would be better than an electronic panel. That's what went out on our last one, and even the appliance repairman said the old-school controls last longer. When we call them tomorrow, I'll have to ask if they have anything with a stainless steel front that doesn't have an electronic control panel.

I do hate to spend even more money on a Bosch or hassle with needing special plumbing.

I really wish the KitchenAid wasn't flaky - I'd prefer everything matching since they're virtually side by side. Oh, well.

Thanks again for all of your input.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
I hope you can find something that works for you BR. I am extremely picky about my appliances, so take my advice with a grain of salt. My Frigidaire (circa 2002, builder's package) is unimpressive. One of my personal mottos is "friends don't let friends buy GE," unless you are talking about a GE Monogram built-in fridge or undercounter wine cooler. They are not made by GE but a Canadian company I believe. ;-) I have had three Bosch DWs installed, from low to high end, and never required special fittings or electrical work (though my Bosch W/D set did require some electrical upgrading). Perhaps Maytag is better than it was but they have been bought and sold recently and in general the myth of the bored Maytag repairman is more of a lie. (Our three Maytags sounded like freight trains but maybe that has gotten better.) And matching appliances is only important if you are more interested in aesthetics than performance, IMO.

HOWEVER, I agree that since this is not your personal residence, you need to go sturdy without too many doo dads. The one last thing I will add is that in an open floor plan, quieter does seem to be better.

Good luck ... hope you find some success!

P.S. Bsmart is right (of course!) about the Kenmore Elites. Very favorable reviews, if you do have that option of going to Sears.

Wastin Away said:
We had something similar happen to our dishwasher at our beach house. We think our problem was acutally caused by us. The dishes that we purchased, (heavy duty ceramic from Crate and Barrel so that if you dropped them they would not break), was actually too heavy for the drawer.
Actually, my dishes are Crate and Barrel. But how could a dishwasher not hold up to "dishes"? What did you do to solve the problem? Get rid of the Crate and Barrel stuff, or get a different dishwasher?

My dishwasher is just three weeks old. Even if the guests did two loads a day (our house sleeps 10, so I think that'd be the max), that's just 42 loads. Certainly any dishwasher should be expected to withstand that.:eek:

Also, TFT, thanks for the advice on the Bosch, etc.

Wastin Away

Beach Lover
Sep 20, 2005
Beach Runner said:
Actually, my dishes are Crate and Barrel. But how could a dishwasher not hold up to "dishes"? What did you do to solve the problem? Get rid of the Crate and Barrel stuff, or get a different dishwasher?

My dishwasher is just three weeks old. Even if the guests did two loads a day (our house sleeps 10, so I think that'd be the max), that's just 42 loads. Certainly any dishwasher should be expected to withstand that.:eek:

Also, TFT, thanks for the advice on the Bosch, etc.

When guests cram the dishwasher full on the bottom rack and you roll the rack all the way to the end to unload, the weight of all of the dishes, overtime, caused the hindges to give away and the door began to fall past the breaking point and pull away. Believe me I know because it happend to us. When the door began to pull away it then would not shut good therefore you had to push real hard to get it to close and once again , over time, the lock busted. We also had problems with when the dishers were loaded the guests would not get them on track and the heating element would melt the rollers. I did not get rid of the dishes, we just put the same make of dishwasher just a heavier duty one. I believe we paid about 699.00 for the new one. I have a very high end dishwasher in my home now and I just can't see putting something too expensive because you have no control over what happens week after week but on the other hand you pay for what you get so maybe putting a higher end may withstand the rental activity. I guess the only way to know is to do it and take your chances.

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
One of the good things about buying Sears appliances is that you go to the store wherever you live - pick out what you want and then place the order for delivery down there. We have done this numerous times and it works really well - at least I am seeing the choices instead of just talking to someone over the phone. We now have washer - dryers - dishwashers and stoves from Sears. Overall they have held up really well. Kind of funny cuz I don't have any Sears appliances in my home up here - might have to rethink this with my next purchase since they have held up so well in the rentals.

I am so sorry you have had such a string of bad luck with the rentals lately BR - Remember - they run in streaks - this too shall pass.

Unplugged

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2005
Beachlover2 said:
One of the good things about buying Sears appliances is that you go to the store wherever you live - pick out what you want and then place the order for delivery down there. We have done this numerous times and it works really well - at least I am seeing the choices instead of just talking to someone over the phone. We now have washer - dryers - dishwashers and stoves from Sears. Overall they have held up really well. Kind of funny cuz I don't have any Sears appliances in my home up here - might have to rethink this with my next purchase since they have held up so well in the rentals.

I am so sorry you have had such a string of bad luck with the rentals lately BR - Remember - they run in streaks - this too shall pass.
So true Beachlover2 - most absentee owners need a turnkey solution to this issue, and Sears is a great way to go for so many reasons.

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
We have replaced both of the dishwashers at Conch Out within five years. They really get a workout with the renters, lots of overloading and door slamming, etc. We have always purchased Kenmore dishwashers from Sears and it's a good idea to have those maintenance agreements on appliances in rental homes. (We'd never accept one here.) But I would never put an expensive appliance in a rental house...just not appreciated or taken care of.

Sounds like your renters clearly caused this problem and I would charge them at least part of the cost of the repair. Beachrunner, sounds like your management company is not doing their job.

I think the houses are taking a beating this summer, for some reason, and the management companies (including rental, pool service, etc.) are overloaded with accounts so not doing the job as well. Just a sense. I am also sensing that people are demanding more (even if your rents are reasonable) and this was confirmed by our management company. They say there has never been more kvetching from renters than this summer. I hate to say it, but I think some of the newcomers to SoWal are really stretching to rent these places and coming in expecting absolute perfection and luxury. I mean, it's a beach house, folks!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Donna said:
We have replaced both of the dishwashers at Conch Out within five years. They really get a workout with the renters, lots of overloading and door slamming, etc. We have always purchased Kenmore dishwashers from Sears and it's a good idea to have those maintenance agreements on appliances in rental homes. (We'd never accept one here.) But I would never put an expensive appliance in a rental house...just not appreciated or taken care of.

Sounds like your renters clearly caused this problem and I would charge them at least part of the cost of the repair. Beachrunner, sounds like your management company is not doing their job.

I think the houses are taking a beating this summer, for some reason, and the management companies (including rental, pool service, etc.) are overloaded with accounts so not doing the job as well. Just a sense. I am also sensing that people are demanding more (even if your rents are reasonable) and this was confirmed by our management company. They say there has never been more kvetching from renters than this summer. I hate to say it, but I think some of the newcomers to SoWal are really stretching to rent these places and coming in expecting absolute perfection and luxury. I mean, it's a beach house, folks!

I agree with you 100%. The "beach house" vacation has become less about the beach and too much about the house.