• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SpringStreetBuilders

Beach Comber
Oct 31, 2017
Seagrove Beach
Nah. You had a lot to say and mostly it went unchallenged years ago as Aabsolute until you caused it al all to unravel. No one has been trolling you for ten years. You’ve been in 23 states outrunning your past and present remember? This is nearly brand new. I saw someone pompously posting delusional blatherings and happened to take a guess it was you. Anyhow, I do hope you have grown. “Benevolence” sounds patronizing though so....no.
You're using a fake name so you don't count

Evansc

Beach Comber
Nov 3, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
Name remains Charles (Chuck) Evans.

What goes around, comes around CROOK.

Can’t build in Rosemary Beach, Alys Beach, Watersound Beach, Origins, Retreat or Watercolor.

Why?

How many people/companies currently suing the CROOK?

Lou Deman

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2017
South Walton
John
I don't know you but, as a quality home builder, some of the things you are writing are rubbing me wrong. You keep mentioning collusion among the local builders, you have to understand you are staining a profession that many people take very seriously. What collusion are you talking about? The material prices you mentioned early in this thread are out of line for the majority of the local high end market. Material prices vary tremendously based on client / architect selections. Not stating this seems disingenuous and misleading. My signature is my name because I am proud of it and I want people to be able to find me (and research my past). I also have 20+ years of experience and have recently received my Florida builders license. I wish you the best of luck and caution you against smearing our profession.
Thanks
Lou Deman

SpringStreetBuilders

Beach Comber
Oct 31, 2017
Seagrove Beach
John
I don't know you but, as a quality home builder, some of the things you are writing are rubbing me wrong. You keep mentioning collusion among the local builders, you have to understand you are staining a profession that many people take very seriously. What collusion are you talking about? The material prices you mentioned early in this thread are out of line for the majority of the local high end market. Material prices vary tremendously based on client / architect selections. Not stating this seems disingenuous and misleading. My signature is my name because I am proud of it and I want people to be able to find me (and research my past). I also have 20+ years of experience and have recently received my Florida builders license. I wish you the best of luck and caution you against smearing our profession.
Thanks
Lou Deman
I've built over 100 buildings here. I said 3,000 psi, regular rock, no fiber concrete mix on 30a is presently about $94 per yard. How much do you pay? Will an average house 100% concrete residence in Alys Beach use 350 cubic yards? How about 450 yards? If we split the difference that's 400 cubic yards of 3,000 psi concrete at $94 per yard makes $37,600 of concrete delivered to Alys Beach to place footings, stem wall, 6" slab, 7 5/8" cast walls, 10" elevated slabs and 8" slab roof. Insert your own numbers now. Tell me you can't buy concrete for $94 because your smaller so you have to pay $100, that's still only a difference of $2,400 making your cost for all the concrete just $40,000 for a whole Alys Beach residence. Say they sized up 50% just to waste more money, that's still only $60,000. Where was I wrong on the estimation for the concrete? I'll wait

SpringStreetBuilders

Beach Comber
Oct 31, 2017
Seagrove Beach
Let's calculate the steel reinforcement now. Assuming spread footings on the centerline of each bearing wall with eccentrically loaded footings on the zero lot lines. Let's calculate a soil bearing strength of 2,500 psi and oversize our footings to 10' wide, 32" deep with #5 continous at 8" oc each way, top and bottom. I show +- 600 #5 bars @ 20'.
Let's cast every single interior and exterior wall with #5 @ 8" oc Horizontal and 12" oc vertical. I show +- 1,200 #5 bars @ 20' That's a 100% cast concrete floor, walls and roof Alys Beach residence using an oversized 1,800 20' rebar at over paying $8.50 per bar makes $15,300 for steel. Correct my math with your theoretical Alys Beach concrete residence. I'll wait

Lou Deman

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2017
South Walton
John
I did not say your material cost on concrete was wrong. I am paying more then you are though. The material cost for most any local builder is going to be with in 4% of each other (which makes it fairly negligible). I don't know if you build in Alys Beach (I do not) but what is your out the door build cost run per square foot (Alys Beach standard finishes)? This seems to be what most customers are concerned with, the owner don't care what the concrete costs they only care about what the final product will cost.
Also, please use a little less attitude, I'm just stating that you saying local builders are colluding to raise construction costs is not accurate. Or, if it is, is not practiced by everyone.

SpringStreetBuilders

Beach Comber
Oct 31, 2017
Seagrove Beach
So
John
I did not say your material cost on concrete was wrong. I am paying more then you are though. The material cost for most any local builder is going to be with in 4% of each other (which makes it fairly negligible). I don't know if you build in Alys Beach (I do not) but what is your out the door build cost run per square foot (Alys Beach standard finishes)? This seems to be what most customers are concerned with, the owner don't care what the concrete costs they only care about what the final product will cost.
Also, please use a little less attitude, I'm just stating that you saying local builders are colluding to raise construction costs is not accurate. Or, if it is, is not practiced by everyone.
First, I just quoted the cost for all the concrete and steel to build a typical 100% concrete building at +-3,000 sq ft on 30a. I think my numbers are accurate, but so far I'm the only person who presented them in the whole thread. I hope someone else does the same for transparency. Here's where the exponential difference comes in. Does your contractor hire the actual workers who place the steel and concrete? If he does, he'll budget +- (6) men at $18.00/hr for (18) 40 hour weeks. That's $77,600. Add 50% for Workman's Compensation and taxes makes $116,640 for all the labor to cast the building. If my numbers are innaccurate please clarify and let's specifically adjust them. I'll wait.

Last edited:

Evansc

Beach Comber
Nov 3, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
John

No, he does not build in Alys Beach, in fact, he has been banned from there, Rosemary Beach, Origins, Watersound Beach, Watercolor and The Retreat.

He is a well known crook in the area.

SpringStreetBuilders

Beach Comber
Oct 31, 2017
Seagrove Beach
To answer your question specifically, I built this home in WaterSound West Beach. This home is 4 beds 4 baths 2,450 sq ft. I used wood floors throughout, solid seamless granite slabs for all bath floors, Viking Appliances, Pella Windows, Mahogany Doors, perfection cedar siding, pressure treated fire retardant #1 Heavy Shakes for the roof, brick pavers and homogenous landscaping. It took 110 days from permit to Certificate of Occupancy. It's been rented ever since. My price was $350,000 which is $142.85 per sq ft Closest Home To Pool & Beach, No Roads To C... - VRBO