• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

InletBeacher

Beach Comber
Dec 2, 2019
Inlet Beach
I’m looking to build a custom home on property I own in Inlet Beach north of 98, and am currently working with a local architect on plans. House isn’t in a flood zone, lot will need to be partially cleared and is relatively level, 800ish sq ft existing cottage will be a teardown. House will be on a monolithic slab, will be approx 3k sq ft on a single level, metal roof with a simple roofline (no bumpouts etc), L or J shape with screened pool/patio area. I don’t plan to start construction until late next year. Any estimates on what I should expect to pay per sq ft, so I can have my heart attack and recover before building starts?

Lou Deman

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2017
South Walton
Hello,

I am considering a piece of land treetops subdivision on Seacrest beach and the Preserve at Grayton Beach. Looking for insight on quality builders and any info on the subdivision. Is this the best forum for these questions?

Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving.

Legrita
I do not know if this is the best place to look but it is a good one
Talking to the local suppliers (lumber, windows, cabinets, appliances, ect.) is going to tell you who stays busy and who pays their bills.
Local people in the trade will tell you which way to lean and who to stay away from.
Just ask them who they would use to build their own homes.
Also be careful of builders that are too busy
As far as subdivision info I would ask your realtor. 30-A has a lot of different flavors as you move from one end to the other.
It comes down to where you want to be, you don't want to travel down 30-A too much while your on vacation (unless you like traffic)
If we can help you with anything give us a call at (850) 389-7006
Thanks

Lou Deman

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2017
South Walton
I’m looking to build a custom home on property I own in Inlet Beach north of 98, and am currently working with a local architect on plans. House isn’t in a flood zone, lot will need to be partially cleared and is relatively level, 800ish sq ft existing cottage will be a teardown. House will be on a monolithic slab, will be approx 3k sq ft on a single level, metal roof with a simple roofline (no bumpouts etc), L or J shape with screened pool/patio area. I don’t plan to start construction until late next year. Any estimates on what I should expect to pay per sq ft, so I can have my heart attack and recover before building starts?

This is a very loaded question that builders get all the time
Without knowing levels of finishes I would plug in $225 to $350 per square foot
Thanks

InletBeacher

Beach Comber
Dec 2, 2019
Inlet Beach
This is a very loaded question that builders get all the time
Without knowing levels of finishes I would plug in $225 to $350 per square foot
Thanks
Thanks Lou! I thought building in the mountains of Colorado was pricey (and it was!) but this is a whole nother ballgame. I know the question is impossible to answer completely accurately, but having some idea will help. I honestly thought keeping the home on a single level would help lower that cost but I guess not! Maybe dirt floors and cupboards made of cinder blocks and 2x4s, eh? LOL

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen
one considers potential resale and hence the higher price. I could build a spartan house for $80 a foot perhaps that would be of value to me but a tear down to anyone else down the road. Then I've just wasted the money I spent unless I commit to dying in the house and successfully do so. Like many spots this isn't a budget area nor do many wish it to be.

outofadream

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2008
Thanks Lou! I thought building in the mountains of Colorado was pricey (and it was!) but this is a whole nother ballgame. I know the question is impossible to answer completely accurately, but having some idea will help. I honestly thought keeping the home on a single level would help lower that cost but I guess not! Maybe dirt floors and cupboards made of cinder blocks and 2x4s, eh? LOL
It’s called.. building a home in an incredible location location location

InletBeacher

Beach Comber
Dec 2, 2019
Inlet Beach
The location is definitely the key, and we know we’re lucky to be in a position to build here. We don’t want to waste that opportunity on building a cheap home or cutting corners, and we won’t. But there’s definitely some sticker shock involved, even coming from DC and being used to high housing costs.

oasisfaninparadise

Beach Comber
Aug 25, 2015
It’s no wonder you have been banned up and down 30-a.

Common criminal.
I’ve just been scammed by this “builder”. I’m beyond livid!! He took our money ( double what we were quoted) did not complete the work, what he did do was a completed disaster one after the other. I’ve had four contractors come to look at his mess. They can’t believe he even has a contractors license!! I did not do my due diligence and now I am paying for it dearly!! Beware!!
Name remains Charles (Chuck) Evans.

What goes around, comes around CROOK.

Can’t build in Rosemary Beach, Alys Beach, Watersound Beach, Origins, Retreat or Watercolor.

Why?

How many people/companies currently suing the CROOK?

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
I’ve just been scammed by this “builder”. I’m beyond livid!! He took our money ( double what we were quoted) did not complete the work, what he did do was a completed disaster one after the other. I’ve had four contractors come to look at his mess. They can’t believe he even has a contractors license!! I did not do my due diligence and now I am paying for it dearly!! Beware!!
Unless you where paying cash for construction.... every bank I’ve contacted for construction loan have told me the builder MUST be on their approved lenders list... was this guy on any banks approved list?