Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Easternlake lady, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

I think that raises a really good question. The TDC is suppose to be removing all objects left on the beaches overnight. These signs should be considered trash just as much as a beach chair.

2. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

The Sheriff's office told them to get more signs so that they could enforce whatever the law is about making people stay off private beaches. Apparently, the state issues permits for these signs. Shockingly.

3. justhavinfun

justhavinfun Beach Fanatic

And I spoke to a local who lives on Eastern Lake Road and his family and small kids had set up by the lake outflow close to the Right of way last week - Code Enforcement made then move away from the signs!! And we can barely get Code Enforcement to do anything!!

4. Mike Jones

Mike Jones Beach Fanatic

Is this guy showing his neighbors' sign or is that the guy who put the signs up? I need to know who to cuss.

5. Lake View Too

The direction to cuss is varied. The previous owner of the property ( who may still be a part owner) offered to sell that property to the County years ago. The County declined the offer because the property is unbuildable and they were asking too much. Recently, the "new owners"(no, I don't have names) have offered to sell the property to the County, again. The asking price and appraisal are in the works.

Meanwhile, most of us think the signs went up to cause a furor in the citizenry, to demand the County procure the property. It must be working because we all are a little more irritated.

Seriously, the BCC and the TDC need to as proactive as possible to procure and preserve all beach property surrounding the Coast Dune Lake inlets. And Eastern Lake Inlet should be number one on the list.

6. UofL

UofL Beach Fanatic

Google pic of area?

We stayed at Commodore's Retreat last year. Had stayed there years ago. Pool wasn't available last year. Parking is awful. Otherwise a nice spot but we didn't have any interest in the lake - they often look dirty - always wonder what's in them. Also, we like to park for the week and had to drive everywhere.
    Ellen

Attached Files:

7. Lake View Too

Just for everyone's education, when the Inlet was allowed to meander eastward (before the owner of the Sanroy house dumped 26 dump trucks loads of compaction sand in the floodplain) the Gulf waters more freely entered the Inlet as well as the Lake, and, after a breakout the Inlet was just as crystal clear as the Gulf. Those magical days don't happen much anymore.

8. Everytime

Everytime Beach Fanatic

UofL:

Currently (or at least as of a few weeks ago) the Gulf frontage of the subject parcel was part of an isthmus between Eastern Lake and the Gulf. You can look at the Tax Parcel Map in my post above (Post #9) and the general boundary of the parcel (although not an exact survey) is shown as the square parcel where my cursor arrow was. My picture below shows a more current configuration with the isthmus as I've seen it this summer; for reference, I included the eastern edge of Commodore's Retreat condos where you stayed (left border of pic) and the western edge of the parcel owner's house (right border of pic):

Isthmus.jpg

9. Dawn

Dawn Beach Fanatic

Too bad there are houses in those photos. :sosad:

10. Lake View Too

Imagine...

Attached Files:

11. Everytime

Everytime Beach Fanatic

Great pictures, Lake View Too! I've been visiting there since 1988 and have seen the lake open and close on the beach in many variations. For the longest time, though, it seems that even when it does open up, the outflow and the Gulf to the south and southwest remain brown with the tannin. Has the artificial sand dump from the Sanroy owner caused it to concentrate tannin at the south end of the lake, instead of naturally opening, flowing and flushing with Gulf water more frequently? I'm guessing this is the case or the 26 loads of sand "elevated" the beach, so that now any outflow is only an outflow and does not get as much Gulf water, as it would practically have to go "uphill" to get into the lake.

12. Lake View Too

The artificial sand berm has prevented the inlet from breaking out straight through, as it was prone to do, historically. If allowed to break out straight thru, it gains more force and gets much wider. A wider, less winding, inlet means more salt water can back flow and the lake is simply healthier. It's better for the aquatic plant life. It prevents the spread of invasive species. And it better for fish populations.

13. ddreneet

ddreneet Beach Comber

Just wanted to let you know that not all visitors/tourists have no respect! I know there are people anywhere you go that are like that but some of us do respect the beach and want to keep it clean.

14. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

who in the world would OK 26 loads off sand ( I understand colors didn't match) into a sensitive environmental area?

15. Lake View Too

To me, it was travesty. I have no proof, but it was the most questionable decision ever made by the FDEP. I wouldn't rule out bribery, but, then again, I wouldn't rule out another beer, at this time. :)

16. cpete

cpete Beach Lover

What about these? They are all over the place West of Rosemary

IMG_3881.jpg