• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jill Tanner

Beach Fanatic
Jul 17, 2007
www.alaquaanimalrefuge.org
If you value the education of your children attending Walton County schools, take a stand. Attend the negotiation meeting scheduled for 9:00 A.M. on February 13 at the WISE Center (555 Walton Road) in DeFuniak Springs. If you cannot attend, like the many teachers throughout the district, please let your opinion be heard by calling Superintendent Anderson at (850) 892-1100, ext. 1302 or emailing her at AndersoC@walton.k12.fl.us and voicing your concern over losing our excellent teachers and principals to other districts where they are respected and valued.

The governor set aside for pay raises. This is the money that has started the teacher push for raises. It was available as early as July of last year and we are one of 3 (out of 67 total) counties that have not decided how to use the money because the district has canceled all scheduled negotiations meetings. Here is the link to the statewide teacher pay increase document: http://www.fldoe.org/doc/TeacherPayIncreaseQ-A.doc

• Teachers have not received a raise in 7 years.
  • Since 2009-2010 the percent change in average teacher salary has decreased each year. (-1.12%, -1.76%, -1.20%, -1.49% respectively)
  • Since 2009-2010 the percent change in superintendent salary has been as follows -1.95%, +2.20%, -0.71%, +0.10% respectively.
  • Per Florida Statute, elected county constitutional officer and school district official is authorized to voluntarily reduce his or her salary.
  • Walton County superintendent average salary has increased from roughly $92,000 when she took office to $103,000 last year.
  • The “step increase” received in 2011-2012 was based on an adjusted salary schedule in which an additional Step 0 was added.
  • Coordinators, assistant principals, athletic directors, and teachers (average salary of $45,077) received bonuses of $400
  • Supervisors, CFO (average salary of $94,073), directors, and principals (average salary of $87,000) received bonuses of $500.
  • Teachers are now paying 3% in to their retirement.
  • Quality of insurance program/benefits has declined while deductibles have increased.
  • Since the 2007-2008 school year Walton County’s average teacher salary has declined from 14th in the state to 31st in the state.
  • Since 2004-2005, average superintendent salary has increased by roughly $10,326
  • Since 2004-2005, average teacher salary has increased by roughly $4,111.
  • The teachers were encouraged to vote for the millage increase and encourage others to vote for the millage increase 2-3 years ago. It was insinuated that portions of these monies would be allocated for teacher raises.
  • Negotiations can NOT be “successful” if they DO NOT occur. The last three meetings have been canceled. The district canceled two and the most recent was canceled due to inclement weather.

The district has scheduled the next negotiation meeting for 9:00 am on February 13. This time will be difficult for many teachers and parents to attend, as they have to work. The 9:00 meeting was agreed upon by the union. The union, however, was under the impression that there would be other opportunities to negotiate prior to this date.

Sources:
Florida Department of Education
Northwest Florida Daily News (approved by the Walton County School Board)

Jill Tanner

Beach Fanatic
Jul 17, 2007
www.alaquaanimalrefuge.org
Every item listed above (Jill's original post) is completely true. Thank you for taking the time to post the details.
Let it also be noted, the contract negotiations being discussed on 02/13/14 are for "THE CURRENT" year's contract of your local instructional and non-instructional employees. Your local educators teach under no current contract (only a previous year's contract that is continuing), each school year until around winter time or when the negotiations are complete and/or agreed upon. Contracts are usually 'signed' around APRIL for for the school year which ends in May.

In regards to the "Step-Adjustment" 2011-2012 (which may have gone into effect in the 2012-2013 school year)
Here is an example, to make things a little more real for SOWAL readers and valued parents:
Beginning educators who began working in WCSD in the academic year 2007-2008 on beginning step 0-3 years, were still at step zero 4 years later.

For readers who are not familiar with an employers 'step' schedule…a step/salary schedule simply outlines what an employee will be paid for his/her years of experience. Therefore, an educator who had started a career in teaching with WCSD in school year 2007-2008 more than likely, looked at the advertised step/salary schedule when researching districts, interviewing, setting up their classroom, and all through the first 3 years of teaching…thinking, 'after 3 years, "I'll move up a step, for my years of service teaching in WCSD".

Only to find that did not happen at all. Finally in 2012-2013 school year, the district negotiated the revised pay scale, which deleted the 0-3 years of experience, and outlined it at 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, years etc. and negotiated to move teachers to where they "should" be on the salary schedule. When in fact, they negotiated a revised schedule and the teacher (mentioned in the scenario) moved to the 5th year of experience…with the **4th** year of pay (as was documented in the original step/salary schedule). Educators are still not getting paid by the correct line-item they should be paid. The salary and contract of WCSD Employees can be located on the Walton County School District website, under STAFF, under Collective Bargaining Agreement.

While negotiations will include Rick Scott's approved $2500.00 to be distributed as a salary increase, it is to be reoccurring for at least 2 years, but with state legislature working at their ends, and not always looking out for educators in our state, the 2 year holding period may not last. There is a great amount of discussion on the topic of to whom the money is to be allocated. This could play a part in the length of the negotiations and how WCSD comes to the table. As stated above, we are 1 of 3 counties who have not allocated the money, this pot of money should have no place on the agenda for Thursday, and should just be appropriated as the Gov. intended while he was out campaigning on such a platform.

"Many" educators were planning to attend the scheduled afternoon meeting on 01/28/14; the meeting was rescheduled for02/13/14 at 9am. Educators not part of the negotiating team will need to take 1 of their personal days to attend out of their 6 days total (combined sick/personal days totalling 6 for a school year). No attendees will be allowed to speak to the negotiating team.

On a side note, if you are interested in knowing the impact of Race-to-the-Top, check out the FLDOE.org site and do a little research on VAM (Value Added Model). 50% of a an educator's evaluation for the given school year is based on administrative scoring and
50% of an educator's evaluation for the given school year is based on student performance on computerized assessments over 3 years. Your WCSD Educators need support, and community conversations. Get the word out…Education and Educators at Stake.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Once upon a time, parents would send their children to school, participate in school bake sales, give their teachers sweet Christmas gifts, help in the office, and start all over the next year- all the while assuming that things like teacher satisfaction and adequate pay were givens. In Walton County, this is not the case. Our teachers need support, from every single person in this community, at the school and county level. As a parent, it is not a comfortable place to be, but do we have any other choice but to become informed and involved with the issues that affect the people who are responsible for our children's education? Despite it all, the teachers of the WCSD show up to work every single day, with a "can do" attitude and total devotion to their profession, students, and schools. They should be able to expect the same things that the rest of us expect in a professional/corporate environment: 1) Respect for their education, experience, and time spent devoted to one of the most important jobs in our lives 2) The security of knowing that salaries will increase with time and experience, without having to spend time and energy fighting for such a basic need 3) To work without fear of reprisal for having an opinion, pointing out an injustice, speaking up on an issue, or in defense of a grievance 4) Effective representation as a group, in this case, a union that is strong and capable of negotiating fair and reasonable contracts for the teachers. Once again, the phrase I dislike most in the world is what I keep hearing - Well, it's always been done this way here in Walton County. Enough. What I once thought were issues that would be resolved as they are under normal professional circumstances don't have a chance in hell of being resolved in Walton County unless there are some serious changes in attitudes and the structure of our district leadership. The employees in the district office, including the Superintendent, are paid a salary to take care of the teachers- their salaries, job satisfaction, human resource needs, and professional development. I have yet to meet a teacher who feels that any of this is happening. Yet, once again, despite it all, they keep delivering for the district, with high-rated schools and achieving kids. If this isn't a testament to the quality of these teachers, I don't know what is. I don't think anybody can see where the teachers are being put before everything else, as they should be, and the Rick Scott salary increase issue has brought these real issues into focus. Where do we start? Here it is- I am going to say it. It is time to stop doing something the way it has always been done in Walton County and switch to a superintendent that is appointed, not elected. This is nothing personal against anybody, but an educational system where the "boss" is elected in a race poisoned by politics instead of selecting a candidate based on their education, experience, and accomplishments is so archaic it is pathetic. There is no accountability or checks and balances in our current system- the school board and superintendent operate in completely different orbits, and as a team are completely ineffective. The extremely vast majority of school districts in this country APPOINT their superintendents, and that person is the boss, but has performance standards that have to be met or there are consequences. A school board and superintendent working in tandem, for the good of the students, employees, and community is the goal we need to be demanding. In the meantime, the teachers will not be able to attend the negotiation meeting on Thursday. They understand that attendance does not mean they will be able to speak, but they would like to attend to listen and try to understand what is happening. I am seeing that the teachers truly are not getting information they need to understand and be able to participate in positive change for their current situation. I will be in DeFuniak on Thursday morning, just to show that they have support from the people that depend on them the most- the families whose lives they touch every single day. Today would be a good day to give your child's teacher a hug, send an email thanking them for doing a job where they give so much but receive so little in return, and be thankful that we have these fine people. Because, as I have learned this year more than any other, they are some of the finest people in Walton County. They should be celebrated.

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
My apologies for a mistake- the majority of superintendents are appointed in this country not elected. Sometimes the words don't always come out right when I am typing at 6 AM and trying to get a kid to school and me to work!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I am hoping someone with experience in the voter referendum world will chime in with information. Other districts have made the change from elected to appointed superintendent, there us no reason why Walton County can't start moving forward.

Silence*Dogood

Beach Comber
Feb 10, 2014
To all South Walton residents:

My concern is these very qualified teachers are held to be responsible for the student scores. Are the hourly employees held accountable if the bus is late or the milk is sour? Please do not misunderstand, all employees are valued. Just pointing out a double standard.
Our teachers need our voices. Something must be done.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
One should bear in mind that when the superintendent is elected, they can't be fired. In some cases, such as Walton County, the superintendent dictates to the school board, not the other way around as it should be. I saw more than one superintendent fired where I lived previously and the schools were unparalleled in their education of our students. Parents here need to change the system.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
[FONT=&amp] Yesterday, I attended a meeting of teachers from a couple of schools and the negotiator from their union. I left that meeting close to tears, fully understanding the frustration of our teachers. The teachers had asked for the meeting to try to gain an understanding of what is happening in their contract negotiation process, to be prepared for the meeting with the district on Thursday.

In a nutshell, it is crystal clear that the district and superintendent hold all of the power, and the union and teachers have none. Yes, we have top-rated schools, but that does not mean the very people mostly responsible for the ratings feel valued or are compensated for their efforts. The fact that they show up and perform at the top of their game every day is a testament to the quality individuals who are teaching our kids. After what I have seen the last several weeks, these teachers have fortitude like I have never seen. This news might not sit well with some in our community, who don’t want to hear that our little piece of paradise is anything but perfect, but that mindset is not going to help the large chunk of this community composed of families and teachers.

My words are purely what I took away from the situation, and pieced together after conversations with teachers, friends, and alsofrom living in Walton County for 7 years. The time has passed to sugarcoat anything- a brutally honest assessment is unfortunately the only way to convey the reality of the situation. The union negotiator attempted to answer the teachers' questions, but didn't seem to have near the facts or confidence one would expect of someone in her position.

Doubts were raised about the ability of the union to be "equal" with the district negotiator when they sit down on Thursday, and I don't think anybody in that room felt comfortable with the union's chances of hammering out a contract that is fair (and years late), when sitting across the table from a well-paid professional negotiator hired by the WCSD. Someone even asked if there was a negotiator from the state union office that could come in and help, but that went over like a lead balloon. What the teachers are asking for is important (bringing the step raises current, the Rick Scott money), but the most important need is lurking like the elephant in the room- they have no power to demand anything.

So how did it happen that our teacher's union became so ineffective in Walton County? First of all, the offices are held by teachers. Every teacher in this county is working hours and hours beyond a 40 hour work week, so expecting them to be able to run a union is asking a lot for some really decent and busy people, not to mention it puts them in the hotseat between their peers and their employer.

As the effectiveness eroded over the years, many lost confidence in the union being able to really represent them, and when having to choose between money needed for bills, medicine, and food, and membership in a union that didn’t seem to be making any headway in truly representing their needs and job expectations, many teachers chose to stop paying the $45/month union dues. Yes, $45 a month. They don’t know what they get for that money.

As the union weakened, the district office strengthened and the WCSD became less of a team and more of an organization where all leadership is concentrated at the top level only.[/FONT] [FONT=&amp]On Thursday at 9 am, the teachers’ union negotiator will meet with the district negotiator. At yesterday’s meeting, the teachers learned for the first time, that if they are at the meeting, their negotiator will caucus with them on each key contract point.

What a shame that the meeting is being held at a time when none of the stakeholders (the teachers) can attend. No, they can’t take personal time to participate in this most important meeting- they are now within the “FCAT window” so no personal time can be taken. Each school has two building representatives, and supposedly they are allowed to attend.

It is sad because many teachers wanted to attend to understand what was happening with their contract, so you can imagine how upset they are now that they know they actually can caucus and be part of the process. Adding to the aggravation is the fact that the union sent a proposal to the district last August, and there has been no response.

The first scheduled meeting was not until December 2013, which was at a time when teachers could attend. It was canceled by the district with no explanation. The rescheduled meeting in January was also canceled with no explanation. The early February date was snowed out. Now mysteriously the rescheduled meeting has a 9 am start time that nobody can explain, and my requests for a time change or at least a response from the superintendent went unanswered.

We are now almost to May, which I am told starts the NEXT contract year. Wow.[/FONT] [FONT=&amp]Personally, I am at a loss for how to support our teachers in this mess, especially since it is a sure thing that quite a few will be planning an exit if their pay does not increase and they are not treated more respectfully.

All the parent support in the world doesn’t put food on their table or make them comfortable that they will have job security. Real change is going to have to happen, such as a stronger and more effective teacher’s union (the teacher’s responsibility- somehow they need to feel empowered and comfortable enough to be a group out in the open) and district management that makes the teachers feel valued, respected, and part of the team.

They have so many questions, like why is our economy coming back here, property values are up, businesses doing better, but their pay is decreasing? Yeah, I would be asking that too.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
The district level overhaul has to start with a referendum to change from an elected superintendent to one appointed by the school board, so we no longer have 2 groups who can’t seem to work effectively together trying to manage the school system, and of course accountability is completely necessary.

See the links below for proof (not that we need it) that we are behind the vast majority of the school systems in this country by having a politically elected superintendent (and therefore, a school system poisoned by local, low level, nasty partisan politics).

Out of 67 counties in Florida, only 26 appoint superintendents, which puts us only ahead of Mississippi, which has 63 elected superintendents. Ouch. [/FONT] [FONT=&amp]I will still be going to DeFuniak at 9 am Thursday, not because I think I can participate or really do anything, but I want the teachers to know that I support them, even if it is just to show up and watch the players walk into the negotiation room.

We need to pray, cross fingers, wish, hope, or whatever you do to help these teachers feel empowered and in charge of their jobs and futures. They need their confidence and mojo back, and most importantly, their dignity.
[/FONT] [FONT=&amp]
http://www.msparentscampaign.org/mx/hm.asp?id=ApptSuperintendents

[/FONT] [FONT=&amp]
http://www.sreb.org/page/1335/00s02_focus_on_school_district_superintendents.html
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
And making the case close to home-[/FONT] [FONT=&amp]http://www.lwvpba.org/issuesactions/AppointedSchoolSuperintendent.htm[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
Jenny Dargavell [/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator: