• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Coffee, Round 3

Yesterday was an overwhelming day in many ways. So many people have contacted me directly and indirectly- parents, teachers, community members whose opinions and intelligence I have admired for years, total strangers, teachers from our old hometown, family members, even a long, detailed, sad, and very honest letter mailed to me anonymously. Apparently giving the teachers’ issues legitimacy by writing about them on social media when they don’t feel they have a “safe” voice is actually empowering the educational community here in Walton County, and I hope the momentum to create a culture of teamwork and respect continues. I see the teamwork and respect on the school level in many of our individual schools, but wouldn’t it be grand to have everyone from top to bottom working towards the same goal instead of against each other? The only goal I have as a parent and community member is to give these teachers a voice until they feel confident enough to use their own, that is it. Most people who know me know that I am the biggest cheerleader for the Walton County Schools, because I believe in great public schools for every student, not just a select few.

Kudos to Principal TAMMY Smith, from Butler Elementary. I have always heard wonderful things about her and Butler, and her leadership there has been the model of continuity that so many of the schools need here in Walton County (but continuity of leadership is a whole other topic!). Anyway, she cared enough to get on a rambling FB page and clarify how teachers could attend the contract negotiations scheduled for tomorrow, and I thank her for knowing how the system works and being sensitive to the Butler teachers who want to attend.

I have received quite a few anonymous communications, and that is great. Unfortunately, the local press can’t publish anonymous letters or use unnamed sources, and I respect that rule. However, I don’t have to abide by that rule, so I will pass along some of the words and information that I think is important for the community to know, also the teachers, because it appears that there is a huge communication black hole when it comes to their contract negotiation, the Rick Scott money (I snicker when I write that, as he is such a champion of education, let’s roll our eyes now), and who represents them in the union are just a few. This anonymous note has some great information about contract negotiation attendance, corroborated by Principal Smith’s post in my Coffee Round 2 post:

Most teachers I know in WCSD appreciate the schools they work in, the kids they teach daily and the parents they interact with. What they don't love is being underpaid, underappreciated and the unprecedented attempts by the district they serve to stifle their rights and regard their service as disposable.

WCSD Teachers CAN show up on THURSDAY morning, they MUST have requested PERSONAL time off, in writing to their administrator, at least 3 DAYS in advance (as with any time when personal leave is to be used)…
What teachers can not do is take "COMP" time and attend the negotiations.

Compensation time is what teachers earn above and beyond their assigned duties. For instance, pre-approved comp time set by the administrator for "FCAT tutoring" or helping out with a school function after hours (a school sponsored dance,etc). Teachers can 'earn' this time, however - in order to use the time, a teacher must adhere to the collective bargaining agreement rules and the request to take hours off using their earned comp time - approved by the building administrator.

So, what it sounds like is this- because the meeting time was scheduled at 9 am, teachers would have to know that they could attend using the personal time, and would have had to arrange this no later than Monday. Considering the teachers in the meeting I attended on Monday did not even know they could participate by caucus at the meeting until they were told by the union negotiator, they did not think they had any reason to take time away from school. Now it turns out that yes, it is possible to attend using personal time, but unless they knew to put in for the time on Monday, it is too late. What a mess.

Some teachers I have talked to understand the importance of “rebuilding” their union, in a positive, structured way. What has begun has reactive can be rolled into proactive, and excitement and energy can build with teacher participation in a group. It doesn’t have to build out of negative energy, but the desire to move forward and make Walton County a place where teachers are happy and supported. It’s like being a good parent- many of our own needs have to be met to be the best parents possible to our kids, and the same holds true for teachers, or any profession for that matter. It is going to be hard- a complete overhaul and mindset change in such a large group will be difficult, but is there any other option? As a community, we need to support their efforts to come back together in support of each other.

The letter in my mailbox contained many examples from the letter writer’s experiences as a teacher in the WCSD, including the salary issue, low quality and ineffective professional development options, programs implemented at schools that don’t fit the school demographic (but as teachers they have to spend time working on them), reluctance to write up disciplinary/office referrals for fear of reprisal, reluctance to attend board meetings, union meetings, etc. for fear of losing their jobs, and more. It is disheartening to say the least, especially when sentences like this jumped out at me
As I am writing this, I’m physically nervous and in tears because I feel like anonymous letters are wrong and am wondering how I have been reduced to this.

Wow. I am so so sorry that things got so bad, and we didn’t see it the big picture. Once again, thank you to the teachers who put being professional and doing their job before their own well-being. It’s going to get better. It has to.

Every day should be teacher appreciation day.

[FONT=&amp]Jenny Dargavell[/FONT]

Last edited:

Silence*Dogood

Beach Comber
Feb 10, 2014
Well said!

It has often been said that if you don't like something, change it. This is exactly what must be done.
The best leaders are the best servants.
Public organizations that are well run and answer to the public...should not only accept constructive criticism and helpful suggestions, but welcome them. If the public they serve or various media outlets have questions, then perhaps the criticism has truth and there is something to hide.
Truly fine educators need the voices of Walton County residents.
This is our county, our children (and their education), not to mention our future.
Walton County residents speak up for those that cannot, out of fear, speak for themselves.

Pirate-1

Beach Comber
Feb 6, 2014
Ditto!
- well said, as always! The teachers are very fortunate to have your support - as well as the support of so many others who have posted comments!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Good morning to all the teachers! Hopefully today is the day that good and positive decisions start being made for the very people who are the backbone and heart of the school system. If anything has come out of the years frustration, I hope it is a renewed commitment to each other as teachers, to support each other, work together, and demand a real team approach with the district in decisions affecting you, your schools, and your students. We can set the example of how it is done.
You truly are our "co-parents"- we couldn't raise our kids without you.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I left the meeting at the lunch break. Not feeling warm and fuzzy. Watch channels 7 and 13 tonight. Do not know yet if sides have reached an agreement or not.

j p nettles

Banned
Jul 1, 2012
Ebro
Looks Like Teachers got the shaft again

As expected. I note that no teachers would appear on camera. The queen continues her rule.

CM

Beach Comber
Mar 31, 2007
The Walton School District negotiation team and the union for the teachers and education support personnel have a tentative agreement. The proposal now goes to the members for ratification and the the school board for their approval. This is a third year contract so all parts are open to negotiations. If both parties give approval, then the contract goes to the state for the DOE’s blessings. Walton is one of only a few districts not completing the annual agreement. The agreement includes a step and additional money, .49 for the teachers and .41 for the ESP’s. The Board will also pay school administrators from the general fund.

Unfunded mandates from the state, corrections in what was legislated and how to distribute additional funds from the governor caused many of the delays. Consultant for the Board, Jerry Copeland, called the offer good and said it was late due to a variety of conditions beyond either side’s control.

Copeland began by explaining how the half cent millage swap, the voter approved tax referendum, is used. The voters approved taking half a mill out of the capital side of the budget and using it for the general side, specifically for pay. This generates about $5 million a year. Since 2004, all increases now total almost $10 million more than what the tax swap provides. For the first few years the swap generated an increase. Since 2008-09 there has been a decrease . This year there is a small increase. The fund balance was used to help supplement, but that has been depleted to a minimum amount required. Copeland said the total amount to cover all raises since 2003-04 is $15.7 million with the tax swap only providing $5 million.

Due to the fund balance, Copeland says the Walton School District has had no closings, no combining of schools, no cut in salaries and no layoffs yet the costs stay the same. He told the union team this shows the commitment of the district. He showed how giving a raise in years past is still in effect, yet the tax revenue has dropped. About $400,000 goes into leveling steps. Using all the money from Gov. Scott, the Board will still have to take $6,087 from the general.

Copeland presented a contract proposal that uses the money from the governor and gives a step raise. He said the extra money is in for this year and is promised for next year. This does not mean it will be provided after that. This means the extra .49 or .41 could go away if the state does not continue to provide it.

Copeland told the group they have received something every year, sometimes a step raise, sometimes a bonus, but some type of additional money. He said everyone will not be moved to the steps they are actually at, but will move one step. One employee in the audience spoke out, saying that the step system is not accurate and walked out instead of being removed. The negotiation meeting is open to the public, but does not allow public input. It was later explained several factors can mean some are not at the step level their years of service says they should be. One reason is steps are based on years of experience, not years working. The first year is year zero. After that you can move to step one. Another reason is steps are a negotiated item and sometimes the agreement does not give a step. This would mean an employee could have 10 years of experience, but not be at step 10 due to the years steps were not agreed upon.

The tentative agreement gives all the money from governor Scott to the teachers and ESP. The general fund will take care of the school administrators. They will agree to a continuation of a year for the language. If all sides approve, this will close the contract for the year.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Let's make this clear- the teachers in that room today were not happy with the union's acceptance of the district proposal. All the news reports saying an agreement was reached between the 2 parties are not telling the whole story- the word "agreement" is not the right word for what went down. A lot of people have a lot of questions. This story is not over.

Pirate-1

Beach Comber
Feb 6, 2014
Obviously, this district does not value it's teachers and the union is not working in the teacher's best interest. Too many teachers struggle financially - with no real raises in sight. Too many teachers are forced to work two jobs to make ends meet. This blatant disregard for doing what is right is embarrassing to the community and insulting to teachers. A token raise, which is not even guaranteed to be permanent, isn't worth accepting. Even though it is difficult, hopefully the teachers will continue to fight for what they deserve. It's sad and infuriating that the same school district that brags about its "A" schools refuses to fairly compensate the very people who were instrumental in accomplishing this!