• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I've said it before and I'll continue to say it. Until the electorate create a situation where the superintendent is appointed and the school board dictates policy, we will have the problem we now have. The superintendent tells the school board what to do. That is not the way excellent school systems are operated.

meggiemom

Beach Lover
Jun 24, 2012
Walton
IT- I agree with most of what you say, however let me clarify a few points. Rick Scott gave the money to the teachers then the legislature said it could also go to other personnel, and that the decision on who gets the money would be made at the district level. What I've seen many other districts did give the money to employees other than teachers, I would like to find a statistic on this. So the Florida government basically passed the decision buck. The school board is not involved in the decision of how this money is distributed. The contract negotiations are between the district office and superintendent and the teachers, represented by their union. The school board will only get involved there's an impasse in the negotiation process. That is how it is set up. Until the superintendent is appointed instead of elected, we will continue to have a two part school system where there is no accountability, and no team effort.

And since we have mentioned the school board, Mark Davis is the only school board member that is not touched by petty and small Walton County Republican politics. (Sorry but that had to be said. Some are more strangled by the local partisan politics and squabbles than others.) Every decision he has made has always been well thought out and looking towards the betterment of this school system for all, not just a few, and not caring about what his political cronies tell him to do. He doesn't have to be on anybody's "team", which leaves him with the mental bandwidth to do what needs to be done, not encumbered by political strings. We need more like him, but God knows where we are going to find them.

I don't have a clue what your point is.

Silence*Dogood

Beach Comber
Feb 10, 2014
Rick Scott...stealing 2 billion + in teacher salaries to balance the state budget. No raises for teachers in years. Our teachers being denied what amounts to less than one half dollar an hour raise. Everyone reading these posts are equally culpable in their silence. What possible motive is there for treating educators this way? The entire process is devoid of any human decency and virtue. What say we throw another Tea Party?

Well said!
Deplorable and unacceptable.
It is time for some serious changes.
What say you Walton County?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Everyone please pay attention to what is happening with the Walton County teacher contract negotiations, as education issues play a huge part in this community's quality of life. While an "agreement" was reached in a very one sided negotiation with the school district,the teachers are not at all happy with the contract they are supposed to be voting on. There are threads on SoWal, the DeFuniak Herald has a great op ed piece today written by Alicia Leonard, or ask a teacher if you know one- they have found their courage and voice and will be happy to tell you the details of why they are unhappy with the salary schedule and proposed contract.

Also, it is time to get a referendum changing the superintendent from an elected to an appointed position. If appointed, WCSD employees still report to a superintendent, but the superintendent would be hired by the board and would be accountable to them in terms of job performance or non-performance. Our county needs to start moving forward.

The superintendent and some district employees are holding a news conference tomorrow morning to discuss the salary schedule- the one that has NOT been voted on by the teachers, only agreed to by a union who was run over like a freight train during the contract. Again, talk to a teacher for the reality of this proposed contract and what it means to them, as I am sure there will be some interesting spin by the district as the teachers' vocal and public opposition is a new thing here- new territory for sure .

Abby Prentiss

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Let's get our teachers PAID!

momof2kids

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Santa Rosa Beach
Also, it is time to get a referendum changing the superintendent from an elected to an appointed position. If appointed, WCSD employees still report to a superintendent, but the superintendent would be hired by the board and would be accountable to them in terms of job performance or non-performance. Our county needs to start moving forward.

Do you know how we get a referendum process started? If not, is there anyone on the forums that would be able to help? Or give direction on where to start?

I've looked online and I've found info on initiatives which seems to be the same as (or similar to) referendums... I'm not at all well versed at legal or political procedures, however this needs to start somewhere and soon!

This is the link I looked at this morning.
http://ballotpedia.org/Laws_governing_the_initiative_process_in_Florida