• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Iris

Beach Fanatic
Aug 10, 2009
Seacrest
Guess my new fall venue for pizza is now Bruno's. Cafe Thirty-A has already become once again my favorite bar for food and drinks, as it was 15 years ago. They both have TVs and are muted making it one's own choice.

Last edited:
Guess my new fall venue for pizza is now Bruno's. Cafe Thirty-A has already become once again my favorite bar for food and drinks, as it was 15 years ago. They both have TVs and are muted making it one's own choice.
We have been to SoWal at least 20 times in the past year. Don't remember any sound being on TV in any establishment except a few times in January when we were the only customers so they turned the sound on just for us.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
I have never been to a bar specifically to watch TV. I think most people will be okay without watching a TV while they drink. Maybe they will meet and talk to other people at the bar.

We talk while watching TV. We have great conversations about football game plays, current events, the contestants on American Idol we like the best and why, etc. Hubby grew up being asked math questions by his father at the dinner table. When we got married we started watching game shows during dinner (not during special dinners) and competing with each other. Our daughter got us started watching Jeopardy during dinner when she was about 11, and the three of us competed with each other. She always won -- it was fun. Now she is amazing at trivia. We ate all three meals together every day as she was growing up and had plenty of family discussions about our day, our joys, our concerns, etc., at the table. Now that she is married, hubby and I (and Pepper) still eat three meals a day together. Pepper only eats when we eat. So TV has not jeopardized our quality family time.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Talking about the TV show you are watching and playing along with the TV game show is quite different than having an actual conversation.

Watching TV, playing a game on your phone, texting, taking calls, and using the internet while at the table or at a social event with others is incredibly rude. (Unless it's a party to watch that event on TV.)

Almost every rental unit on 30-A has a television and many people have phones that allow them to watch or follow a sporting event. There is no need to also have them in every business.

We have sports bars for the TV deprived to enjoy events.

ktschris

Beach Fanatic
Nov 18, 2004
St. Louis
I don't mind the tv in bars, but I did stop going to a nail salon because the techs would watch tv as they were giving a pedicure!

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
That is not true as I know it. The TVs are only being removed from my Restaurant's. I am doing it at the request of my landlord. I agreed for a variety of reasons but primarily to keep the focus on the food, drink, conversation and the beautiful gulf and sunsets. These days anyone who wants to watch a game or follow a score may do so with a smart phone. While I struggled with this decision, I stand by it.

Apparently TVs have just been banned from Seaside restaurants/bars. We are in the area very frequently in the off-season (during the college football and basketball seasons). I guess we'll have to go elsewhere to dine and watch college sports.

:sosad:

Talking about the TV show you are watching and playing along with the TV game show is quite different than having an actual conversation.

Watching TV, playing a game on your phone, texting, taking calls, and using the internet while at the table or at a social event with others is incredibly rude. (Unless it's a party to watch that event on TV.)

Almost every rental unit on 30-A has a television and many people have phones that allow them to watch or follow a sporting event. There is no need to also have them in every business.

We have sports bars for the TV deprived to enjoy events.
We do have actual conversations.
We ate all three meals together every day as she was growing up and had plenty of family discussions about our day, our joys, our concerns, etc., at the table.
We just happen to like being entertained while we have casual meals at home. But family conversation takes first place -- we're yappy, so family conversation happens before, during, and after meals, regardless of whether or not the TV is making background noise.

We wouldn't dare have the TV on with guests in our home except during a Gator game, and then we ask for their indulgence (right, Mermy?). My hand has been slapped by someone with whom we dined at a restaurant while we were keeping up with scores during a big Gator game. We just truly didn't realize that was a no-no at the time. We don't do that anymore unless it's the two of us. As long as the two of us are dining out together and don't disturb others, I think it's none of anyone's pucking business and not rude.

I reserve the right to answer calls from our daughter (because she freaks out when she can't get me), calls from Mom's assisted-living residence (in case there's an emergency), and calls from my husband when he's on a different continent -- with no apologies. I keep my phone on silent, but it flashes when a call comes in. I step outside and answer these particular types of calls. Is that rude?

Last edited: