• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Do you really think that the county will do any more than collect the fee and hand them the piece of paper? If they collect insurance and check qualifications and inspect the premises then the process will take forever and the processing cost will be substantially higher than 25-50 dollars. Plus, there is no way they will deny even the worst business a license without due process so there be nothing here that will tell anyone the quality of any business. I have no doubt that this would simply be a paper-pushing exercise.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
For what it's worth the Walton County Small Business association was started 2 years ago to fight the implementation of a one time $50.00 business license. That organization charges $100.00 per year. If you joined during its inception then you've spent $200.00 to avoid paying $50.00.

I'm no small business owner, but I feel like this is the sort of accounting that leads to bankruptcy.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
It just seems like a common sense thing to do. Keep an accounting of the number and type of businesses operating in your county. You know, 25 restaurants, 62 rental companies, 5253 beach vendors.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
For what it's worth the Walton County Small Business association was started 2 years ago to fight the implementation of a one time $50.00 business license. That organization charges $100.00 per year. If you joined during its inception then you've spent $200.00 to avoid paying $50.00.

I'm no small business owner, but I feel like this is the sort of accounting that leads to bankruptcy.

Just when I thought I had heard everything, here comes something like this.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Do you really think that the county will do any more than collect the fee and hand them the piece of paper? If they collect insurance and check qualifications and inspect the premises then the process will take forever and the processing cost will be substantially higher than 25-50 dollars. Plus, there is no way they will deny even the worst business a license without due process so there be nothing here that will tell anyone the quality of any business. I have no doubt that this would simply be a paper-pushing exercise.
You see no value in knowing what businesses operate in the county or who the principals of the business are? I was appalled when I first came here to find out that anyone could provide a "taxi" service with their private vehicle. It may have changed since Uber and other services have gained so much attention, but it was disconcerting to find that I could have been riding in an uninsured vehicle that was listed as a taxi/shuttle service to and from airports with no checks on drivers or insurance. Maybe I lived in larger cities too long!

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
You see no value in knowing what businesses operate in the county or who the principals of the business are? I was appalled when I first came here to find out that anyone could provide a "taxi" service with their private vehicle. It may have changed since Uber and other services have gained so much attention, but it was disconcerting to find that I could have been riding in an uninsured vehicle that was listed as a taxi/shuttle service to and from airports with no checks on drivers or insurance. Maybe I lived in larger cities too long!

I can see how knowing how many and what types of businesses are located in the county is good to have. Even knowing who the principles are would be good to know. But this information is available through various places that already exist. The Dept. Of Revenue knows the sales tax collectors in the county and Sunbiz has the principles for corporations and LLC's. As far as specific businesses such as taxis, I could see requiring a license for those that includes a vetting process. But I see no value in requiring every small business to buy a piece of paper from the county.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
I can see how knowing how many and what types of businesses are located in the county is good to have. Even knowing who the principles are would be good to know. But this information is available through various places that already exist. The Dept. Of Revenue knows the sales tax collectors in the county and Sunbiz has the principles for corporations and LLC's. As far as specific businesses such as taxis, I could see requiring a license for those that includes a vetting process. But I see no value in requiring every small business to buy a piece of paper from the county.
I have a great deal of respect for you, Danny, but on this item I think we can agree to disagree. I hope you will run for public office again. Even though we may disagree on this particular item, you strike me as one of the good guys.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
@graytonbeachguy instead of just disagreeing perhaps you could explain it? That's all I've ever wanted was an explanation of why it made sense to spend 4 times the amount to fight it. So far no one who's a member of the SBA can do that.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
I have a great deal of respect for you, Danny, but on this item I think we can agree to disagree. I hope you will run for public office again. Even though we may disagree on this particular item, you strike me as one of the good guys.

Thank you FactorFiction. Hope you feel that way in the future.