• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider

Franny

Beach Fanatic
Mar 27, 2005
Pt. Washington
Ok I have a question. We were on the beach last night, Grayton Beach that is and one family left all their stuff/shi$$ on the beach saying it only cost us $50 for the tent so who cares if the county takes it away..:dunno::bang:My ? is... there was a huge amount of tents, kayaks and who knows what left over by the lake..is this included in the 'dispose' county ordinance. Really pi$$ed us off especially after covering numerous holes at the waters edge.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Ok I have a question. We were on the beach last night, Grayton Beach that is and one family left all their stuff/shi$$ on the beach saying it only cost us $50 for the tent so who cares if the county takes it away..:dunno::bang:My ? is... there was a huge amount of tents, kayaks and who knows what left over by the lake..is this included in the 'dispose' county ordinance. Really pi$$ed us off especially after covering numerous holes at the waters edge.

Sheetheads. :angry:

Thanks for filling the holes...y'all are good people. :love:

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
While in Publix today I overheard a woman (visitor) that was complaining (well... more like a word that is filtered on this site) because she was told by the VRBO homeowner that they would not take their stuff off the beach but they went back down there today to find about $100 worth of stuff removed. But was saying that she was there to but more stuff to take down to the beach. I wonder if she is going to leave it overnight AGAIN?

JustaLocal

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2007
SRB
Walton County, FL-- Changes to one Walton County ordinance may make it easier for beach property owners. The "Leave No Trace" program keeps beaches clean by removing articles from the sand each night, after complaints from private property owners, county leaders are making alterations. Still, some have questions.

http://www.wmbb.com/gulfcoastwest/mbb/news.apx.-content-articles-MBB-2008-06-11-0013.html

From the referenced article:
"The posts to the net have been there for 25 years, 10 feet into the ground. When the county told Edgewater to take it out, they filed suit.
Harris says 175 condominium owners signed, agreeing to pay legal fees to take the county to court. That's when the county decided to make changes, allowing the net to stay once owners get a permit for semi-permanent structures.
But for some, that may not be enough.
"an individual who owns their land to the water who can't leave their own beach chair on the beach at night," said Harris."

I find it disturbing that they all agree to pay legal fees when a more turtle friendly solution would be to pay someone to take in the items after sundown and replace then at sunrise.

I find it hard to believe that Ms. Harris, President of the Association for many years, is unaware of turtle nesting habits and the problem leaving beach chairs out can cause.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
franny, tents are covered in the new ordinance, as are chairs, umbrellas, toys, swimming crap, towels, etc. However, kayaks and sailboats are not addressed, YET.

Alicia Leonard

SoWal Insider
I didn't get to include everything Kevin H and I discussed in the code article but he also brought up the point of things left on the beach can hinder a rescue vehicle getting to someone in need. I thought it was a good point as well to make about things left on the beach.