• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Re: Help! Need remodeling references

kurt said:
You should start a new thread.

...and take some Advil for that headache!!!

ecopal

Beach Fanatic
Apr 26, 2005
to SHELLY,
I agree that this summer has been -and still is as far as I know-a buyer's market and that there are more listings than buyers . However, what the original article that initiated this thread is saying is that our area has considerably more POTENTIAL for growth than the grid locked "old Florida " to the south.

The article does meantion that the Panhandle has better water resources. But it fails to indicate that it has the only coastal property in Florida that is above even the highest recorded storm surge levels-specifically 30A.

Scenic 30A has the potential to become even more exclusive and expensive than it already is--not that I am hoping for that . Now could be a good buying opportunity -especially for selective "cherry picking"and bargain hunting -on 30A. However, I do not feel very optimistic about most other areas in Florida including any low lying areas in the Panhandle.

TooFarTampa

SoWal Insider
I absolutely agree with you, ecopal. Look for the building codes to get even tighter all around the state. And with so many of the houses already in compliance with better building codes (remember -- Seaside made it through Opal just fine), combined with the height above sea level, I suspect it won't be too long before it is "discovered" by the masses. The only people really in trouble are the owners of the gulf front homes that can't take any more storms. I feel for all of them. :sosad:

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
TooFarTampa said:
(remember -- Seaside made it through Opal just fine), . :sosad:

Opal hit miles and miles and miles from Seaside (Navarre to be exact). What if Opal--or Ivan--or Katrina--or Rita--had hit Destin smack in the chops? With Seaside on (and much closer to) the "bad side" of either of those I doubt the outcome would have been as rosy.

The eye of Hurricane Opal crossed the coast near Santa Rosa Island around 6:00 pm on October 4th. In a very fortunate turn of events - Opal weakened greatly in the final 8 hours before landfall, although still coming ashore at the lower end of a major hurricane. Sustained winds of 115 mph, with gusts to 140 mph, occurred across a short stretch of coastline between Destin and Panama City, Florida. Outside of the narrow stretch of coastline, winds of 80 to 100 mph were experienced. Hurlburt Air Field, near the eye of Opal, recorded 92 mph winds, gusting to 144 mph. Panama City recorded sustained winds of 65 mph with a peak gust of 86 mph.

Storm surge was recorded between 8-14 feet.

Even if it had come closer I believe the outcome in the Seaside/30-A area would not have been much different.

Do you really hate it here so much?

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Just_In_Thyme said:
Even if it had come closer I believe the outcome in the Seaside/30-A area would not have been much different.

Folks who were REALLY on to the "business" side of of any of those hurricanes would disagree.

monty

Beach Comber
Nov 23, 2005
Just_In_Thyme said:
The eye of Hurricane Opal crossed the coast near Santa Rosa Island around 6:00 pm on October 4th. In a very fortunate turn of events - Opal weakened greatly in the final 8 hours before landfall, although still coming ashore at the lower end of a major hurricane. Sustained winds of 115 mph, with gusts to 140 mph, occurred across a short stretch of coastline between Destin and Panama City, Florida. Outside of the narrow stretch of coastline, winds of 80 to 100 mph were experienced. Hurlburt Air Field, near the eye of Opal, recorded 92 mph winds, gusting to 144 mph. Panama City recorded sustained winds of 65 mph with a peak gust of 86 mph.

Storm surge was recorded between 8-14 feet.

Do you really hate it here so much?

I believe a direct hit by a 4 or especially a 5 would devastate the area along 30A. Few of the dunes are high enough to withstand a 25 foot storm surge. We would have flooding inland in most areas for hundreds/thousands of feet, especially with all the dune lakes and the bay that would get us from the backside. There would be widespread destruction by the surge. No one along any coast is safe from a cat 5 monster.

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
I agree with Monty about the strong Cat 4 or 5 storm. If the storm itself is extremely large and comes in at high tide, as Ivan did, then the devastation will be huge and will be far more encompassing than being on the low side of dunes or flood elevation levels. Most properties between the Gulf and Highway 20 will be heavily damaged if not destroyed. If we have a strong 4 or 5 hurricane, I assume our home at Grayton will be completely destroyed. I assumed as much with Ivan before it turned westward and lost some of its strength.

In October of 1995, Opal came ashore as a Cat 3 with a 16-ft. storm surge. It destroyed 20 to 30-ft. dunes (that have yet to recover) and washed older houses off their foundations (including the former 100-yr. old "Conch Out"). It also took out almost every mature tree in the Lake DeFuniak Lakeyard park. To think that you are safe from one of these monsters because you're on somewhat higher ground than Gulf-front is delusional. For that matter, folks in buildings that exceed three stories actually get the higher force hurricane winds. Best we can hope for is that our 35-yr. history holds, that most storms tend to clock westerward because of their counter-clockwise motion. For one to move directly north into South Walton from the Gulf usually requires a very strong front pressing in from the northwest, mercifully rare that time of the year.

hi n dry

Beach Lover
Sep 12, 2005
I agree that if you are in an area of less than 30 feet elevation you are very vulnerable. This would include any of the areas around the coastal lakes such as Draper, Oyster, Eastern, Western, Redfish Lakes etc.

Most areas of the Old Seagrove Beach area are over 30 feet in elevation which is higher than most of both Seaside and Watercolors. Sure Old Seagrove Beach could be overwhelmed in the perfect CAT. 5 storm but in the unlikely scenario that it was washed over there would be nothing else left: Destin, Sandestin, Panama City Beach, Fort Walton Beach and Navarre and Pensacola Beach would all be gone. Also note that some of the trees in OLd Seagrove Beach are hundreds of years old.

If I was lucky enough to have a home in Old Seagrove above 30 feet sea level I would not be too worried about storm surge unless I was right on the water. However being the pessimist I am, I might still buy flood insurance because is not that expensive.

I remember in the last big hurricane here even low lying areas like Grayton Beach survived inspite of their low elevation. The Red Bar was filled with sand and had to be shoveled out and the old Grayton cafe was destroyed just across the street. But older cottages just a block inland survived. And this was when the bridges at Eastern Lake and Western Lake were washed out.

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Flood insurance is always wise, because most flooding damage is not caused by actual Gulf storm surge. For example, if there is a frog-strangler rain and water goes into your house, you need flood insurance to cover the damage. Incidentally, damage goes beyond just drying the place out. If the water has touched the ground at all, the house really should be water vacuumed, dehumidified with many of those huge blowers (about $500/day for three days minimum) and then checked for residual moisture. You should also toss any carpet and padding (or other household items) that come into contact with such water.