• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Seacrest said:
I did not have such good luck with 2-getaway. We rented a house from them for 3k, they did not tell us that they were building a new house next door and we would be up every morning at 700 to the sound of hammers and saws. I would not recommend for that reason.

No kidding!? Construction in the 30-A area!? Wow!!!

Blaming the property rental company for nearby construction (even if "next door") is kind of like blaming a car rental company for traffic jams.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
SlowMovin said:
No kidding!? Construction in the 30-A area!? Wow!!!

Blaming the property rental company for nearby construction (even if "next door") is kind of like blaming a car rental company for traffic jams.
I don't know that I agree completely with you on this one. If I am a guest who has never been to the area, but have heard how relaxing it is in SoWal, and the rental page on VRBO suggests that I will enjoy my peace and quiet, I think I deserve not to be awakened at 0700 with the hammering and sawing noices. They definitely do not fit the description which I have been given. A general note of truth should mention that construction is currently in the area.

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
I don't know that I agree completely with you on this one. If I am a guest who has never been to the area, but have heard how relaxing it is in SoWal, and the rental page on VRBO suggests that I will enjoy my peace and quiet, I think I deserve not to be awakened at 0700 with the hammering and sawing noices. They definitely do not fit the description which I have been given. A general note of truth should mention that construction is currently in the area.

Joe, I love ya man, but you live here...you should know better. You know how quick construction starts and stops. Those places go up in 6 - 8 weeks. If a company is managing more than a handful of houses in a high-build area (I assume we're talking about Seacrest here...I haven't seen as much construction going on in Grayton) I don't understand how you can expect them to keep up with it all. If I stand anywhere in Seacrest I hear hammers and power saws from 6 am until 6 pm. And I don't mean a muted, muffled background sound.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
SlowMovin said:
Joe, I love ya man, but you live here...you should know better. You know how quick construction starts and stops. Those places go up in 6 - 8 weeks. If a company is managing more than a handful of houses in a high-build area (I assume we're talking about Seacrest here...I haven't seen as much construction going on in Grayton) I don't understand how you can expect them to keep up with it all. If I stand anywhere in Seacrest I hear hammers and power saws from 6 am until 6 pm. And I don't mean a muted, muffled background sound.

Exactly, that is why I think a general note should be made, not one for construction next door or across the street, but something simple that doesn't scare away people. Perhaps something like, "While growth in South Walton continues, please note that there may be construction in the general vicinity of our rental home. Construction hours are regulated and limited by Walton County."

Underthebluemoon,

I am not sure where the rental home to which you are referring is located. Do you have an address?

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
SlowMovin said:

When you say "places go up in 6-8 weeks", do you mean framing? :dunno:

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
Exactly, that is why I think a general note should be made, not one for construction next door or across the street, but something simple that doesn't scare away people. Perhaps something like, "While growth in South Walton continues, please note that there may be construction in the general vicinity of our rental home. Construction hours are regulated and limited by Walton County."

You know that's probably a pretty good idea, now that I see what you mean.

Sueshore said:
When you say "places go up in 6-8 weeks", do you mean framing?

And most of the exterior--roofing, insulation, siding, etc. Interior trim and finish, exterior painting, landscaping, swimming pools, etc. not included. As always, YMMV--this won't always be the case...there are often delays due to weather, funding, too much work, not enough labor, etc. But I have seen some of these "McMansions" in Seacrest and parts of Seagrove go from land-clearing to interior in less than two months.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
SlowMovin said:
You know that's probably a pretty good idea, now that I see what you mean.

And most of the exterior--roofing, insulation, siding, etc. Interior trim and finish, exterior painting, landscaping, swimming pools, etc. not included. As always, YMMV--this won't always be the case...there are often delays due to weather, funding, too much work, not enough labor, etc. But I have seen some of these "McMansions" in Seacrest and parts of Seagrove go from land-clearing to interior in less than two months.

Would you consider this "quality" construction? Seems awfully fast to me.

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
Smiling JOe 350ft is roughly the distance from Bud & Alley's to Sundog Bookstore in Seaside. FYI - 1 mile = 5 said:
Okay, Smiling JOe, laugh all you want at my math skills but I googled this last night before I posted!!!

1760 yards = 1 mile
350 yards = 1/5 mile

I upped the ante to 1/4 mile from the beach because the beach is so wide in Grayton. By the time your toe hits the water, you've gone the full quarter. :cool:

But not to worry--you've simply mis-read the listing for Arcadia which says it's 350 yards not feet.

I'm in a pedantic mood today. :eek:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Mermaid said:
Okay, Smiling JOe, laugh all you want at my math skills but I googled this last night before I posted!!!

1760 yards = 1 mile
350 yards = 1/5 mile

I upped the ante to 1/4 mile from the beach because the beach is so wide in Grayton. By the time your toe hits the water, you've gone the full quarter. :cool:

But not to worry--you've simply mis-read the listing for Arcadia which says it's 350 yards not feet.

I'm in a pedantic mood today. :eek:

So sorry. My apologies. I misread and thought it was 350 ft, not 350 yards. My whole scenerio and gage for distance is totally wrong and I am going to immediately delete that part of my post to eliminate confusion. Thanks for the correction Mermaid. :blush:

350 yards is equivalent to about one lap around a track (running track).

bluemtnfriend

Beach Lover
Aug 18, 2005
Tennessee
UndertheBlueMoon
If you are going to take Russell to the beach, you will have to have a dog permit from the Walton County Courthouse annex. I got stopped last time with my Jack Russell Minnie Pearl and warned. I'm not sure how much the permit costs, but I will get one my next trip down. There is also something about dogs only allowed on beach a certain times of the day.

Good luck with your search for a rental. We don't board Minnie unless absolutely necessary as she's a runner too. And at 13 years old, she gets so stressed.