Pet friendly?

Discussion in 'Rentals - Vacation' started by Underthebluemoon, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

2. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

Blue Moon:

You have a point with kids. It's a problem when people who have dogs and don't pick up dog poop. It's also a problem when people let babies who aren't toilet trained in pools and do not put leakproof diapers on their babies. If a baby poops in a pool you have to close the pool for 24 or 48 hours which affects everybody. Whenever I worry about dogs, I hear the response about kids and I think it's a fair response. I had one guest who said in our cottage guest book, "Great news, our son was finally toilet trained while at your cottage!" Hmmm. And we still love renting to families and think that's cute.

I think it's the responsibility of owners of rental properties to let their guests know what is expected of them as pet owners/parents. Most people will live up to those expectations. This thread is reminding me to put up a note in the cottage reminding parents to put leakproof diapers/pants on non-toilet trained kids when they're at the pool.

So, let me say (since we can't read each other's faces or respond quickly to assumptions) that you sound like a great pet owner. And if I had a pet, I'd defend my pet as much as you defend your pet. Though I haven't had a dog and never wanted a dog, all this talk on these threads about how much people love their dogs is really tempting me to get a dog in a few years (a really small non-allergenic one)...

3. iwishiwasthere

iwishiwasthere Beach Fanatic

Paula..I have just the breed for you! My children had serious allergies, and I had never considered an indoor pet. In a moment of weakness, I gave in and took a Bichon that a lady did not want....she said the dog did not bark enough. :confused: What a gift Maggie has been :wub: She came house broken and command trained. Doesn't shed but rather grooming is pricey if you want them to look good.

When and if you are ready, it is a good breed to consider....highly intelligent but very perky. Our second one does not have emotional issues, but I do believe she is ADD....cannot focus well....but still just precious.

4. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

Thanks. Several people have recommended the Bichon to me. So, perhaps I'll start thinking about that and figure out how a puppy/dog would fit in our lives. We do travel quite a lot because we have family we visit in California, Maine, Florida and Massachusetts -- and we like coming to FL, too, and I don't think we'd pay to bring the dog on all those flights. If I could figure out the travel, it would make the decision much easier. I was thinking about a year or two down the road, when the kids are still at home but old enough to help out with the dog and grow to love the dog. They'd be absolutely thrilled.

5. iwishiwasthere

Good points to think about when traveling. Most of our travels are by car, and the girls are very good riders. Pets are like children, they need to be wanted,not just a whim. And they do require quite a commitment. You will chose the right pet when you are ready..just let us know about it.

6. Paula

Paula Beach Fanatic

Yes, I'll definitely take my time on this decision (I'd guess about 2 years and maybe won't do it at all). But now I at least pay attention to people with little dogs and watch them as they walk them and play with them. Frankly, though, if there was a non-allergenic cat, I'd go for one of those right now -- we grew up with cats so I'm familiar with them as a pet.

7. dbuck

dbuck Beach Fanatic

Dogs are definitely a commitment. We always had a dog when I was growing up, but it was an outside dog, and frankly I didn't pay much attention to it. So when my son wanted a dog, and I finally gave in to get one, everyone said get an inside dog so he will become part of the family. A dog in the house:eek:, but I forged ahead. Long story short, I love, :wub: love him. He truly is part of the family. Only one problem, he is a Boston Terrier, and they are so HYPER, he should be in a family with 4-6 boys.

8. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    My brother works for Delta. He says to avoid flying your dog unless there's absolutely no other alternative. When my sister moved from ATL to Dallas with her 3 dogs, he stayed with the dogs on the ramp until they closed up the baggage compartment. Then he had someone meet the dogs at DFW as soon as they opened the baggage compartment.

My sister still has 3 dogs and takes a private plane from Dallas to Ft. Walton so she can fly the dogs to the beach and not have to put them in the baggage compartment. Obviously, most people can't afford that alternative.

9. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

You can avoid difficulties like the one you're mentioning by owning a dog small enough to fly up front with you. My friends have a second home in Tortola and they bring their King Charles spaniel with them all the time--and this is a trip involving 3 airplane rides. There is no way on earth that their fur baby has ever ridden baggage! Although she, like them, does ride commercial. ;-)

10. Unplugged

Unplugged Beach Fanatic

Underthebluemoon: you're right, things got a bit impersonal and off-track, as I've seen happen so often. I received the same treatment in an earlier thread a while back.

Back to the original question... I have PM'd you with some options.

Please accept my apologies for the tone in some of these posts. SJ has just summarized quite nicely (in post #34) mine - and I suspect those feelings of many others, who enjoy traveling with their pets. As Paula also stated, there is a unique etiquette among traveling pet owners and those who rent to them. You asked a simple question, and some proceeded to explain why you should instead, board your pet, which was not what you had originally asked.

Our experience as owners of pet-friendly rentals has been wonderful. I would even go so far as to say that our properties are in better condition than many other properties I've seen that are not pet-friendly. Maintenance issues have been non-existent for the most part, and certainly LESS then those times when small children are part of the equation. We love chidren too - and accept normal wear and tear as the cost of doing business.

I consider it a high compliment when pet owners rent with us. Those who travel with their pets and care enough to search out the very best accomodations possible so they can share the vacation with the 'entire' family are very special people indeed. These individuals have ALWAYS treated our properties with the utmost care - and certainly respect the beach ordinances that we communicate to them.

Mermaid: thanks for the mention in your earlier post. Underthebluemoon: best of luck to you!

11. DBOldford

DBOldford Beach Fanatic

Perhaps it would help to consider the beach trip from the dog's point of view, then decide whether it's best to bring the dog or get a pet sitter. We do both with our Havanese puppy, depending on the circumstances of each venue. We take him aboard the aircraft cabin (would never check a dog as baggage...far too many mishaps that the public never hears about), and we have a permit for him to go onto the beaches at Grayton during "on" hours. The permit is $30 for one year, and it is only issued if you include a copy of your property tax billing and a copy of the dog's up to date vaccination verification. So if you are renting at South Walton beaches, either the dog gets to stay indoors all day or in areas other than the beaches. We definitely have a different type of vacation when Butter is along than when not. We love having him, however, and he is non-shedding and hypoallergenic, so it does not create a problem for people coming into the house afterwards. The allergies thing, when it is real, is major for some. We would never take the cat along, for this and other reasons. She likes to stay at home in CA with the can opener.

I can really appreciate the reasons for wanting the dog along. And from a homeowner's standpoint, a dog will typically do far less damage to a house than say, a 3-year old or a 19-year old or some adults. A dog will not jump up and down on a new bed until the mattress springs break. A dog will not throw the cable remote into the swimming pool. A dog has enough sense to not attempt a 30-ft. dive from a balcony into a swimming pool, no matter how much beer it might have swilled as contraband. Most dogs will not drag a BBQ grill up onto a wooden deck and then leave it unattended overnight, or throw charcoal remains into the pool. And many dogs will bark at the local neighbor's intruding dog who runs off-leash and uses your landscaping as a toilet three times a day, 365 days a year. (Good boy, Fideaux!!)

On the minus side, few housekeeping crews can clean all the dog hair from every bed, sofa and chair and do everything else needed with a three-hour turnaround during busy seasons. Some management companies charge the "deep clean" fee (3X regular) if a pet has been in the house at all, even the owners' pet. An otherwise great, but unhappy dog left alone has been known to chew an entire door or sofa to pieces, or bark the entire time the owners are away from the house. (Are you willing to give up beach outings, too?) There is a home next door to us where the renters once left their Labrador on the small deck during our entire visit. It barked incessantly and didn't seem to be enjoying its vacation, either.

That said, the best thing is to look for the "pet friendly" houses on this and other Web sites. Check to see if the floors in the house are other than carpet, because that's a happier visit for you and less worry about damages. Consider where your dog is allowed outside in the area you want to rent in, since the beaches are pretty much "off limits" and the fines are hefty. If your dog is an escapee, be sure he has a micro-chip.

Most airlines now allow animals under 30 lbs. that can fit into an airline certified Sherpa bag (under the seat). The cost ranges from $50 to $80 each way, and you have to go through the ticket counter to check the pet in. You also must produce at least a record of recent vaccinations, and sometimes a vet-certified health ceritification that is no more than 30 days from the date of travel. Widebody aircraft are best for carrying a dog on board and it's worth your while to fly first class or business (a good use for those flyer miles), if you can when you take the dog. Also, most flights into the airports serving South Walton are very small craft that offer no upgraded seating, so a good idea to take connecting flights that are shorter in duration = Atlanta. Our dog does very well on the flights, but you have to be psyched up for this. And the dog carrier counts as one of your carryons.

Good luck to you. Our dog absolutely adores the beaches and is happiest when he is with us, regardless of where that might be. There are many rental options that will happily accommodate you and your pet. People on this Board really mean well and want to be helpful. Chances are, they have seen the consequences of certain situations, both from the perspective of being a visitor and a homeowner, however. So things can seem rather pedantic at times. But, all in all, it is a very :welcome: -ing place.

12. iwishiwasthere

I keep reading that only property owners can bring pets to the beach. I bring our dogs each year, and they get a late night walk on the beach most days. Have I just been fortunate the last 8 years that I have not gotten a ticket? Can pets be on the beach at all if you are not a property owner? I apologize for my ignorance...that is why I like this board so much, to learn about the area. Thanks Kurt!

13. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

Here's the thread you need to read. I guess you have been lucky thus far!

http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php?t=3549&highlight=dogs+beach

14. iwishiwasthere

Yikes! Thanks, that would be a hefty fine....not much FUNN after paying it.

15. Unplugged

Unplugged Beach Fanatic

It's interesting to read on this and other threads just how many folks have poor housekeeping that is unable to cope with pet hair; how many folks leave their pets alone for such long periods of time, and how so many pets are destructive when left alone for any amount of time :confused:

We've never had these problems with our pets when we rented - nor do we encounter these problems with any of our guests. Guests who travel with their pets have been a cut above in our experience.

Common sense, basic pet training and simple vigilance on the owner's part is all that's necessary to enjoy a more well-rounded vacation with a pet.

16. Underthebluemoon

Underthebluemoon Beach Lover

17. Unplugged

Unplugged Beach Fanatic

Your quite welcome. Responsible pet owners all too often get a bad rap.

jdarg: appreciated your thoughtful PM :D