• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013

Last edited by a moderator:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I tell you what, put the battle flag back up so at least one side will be happy and put it on the ballot in September 2016. Let the people decide.

Hell yeah!

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
This week, Pensacola became the latest in the growing number of cities where Confederate memorials have been vandalized.
The words “Confed lives don’t matter” were spray-painted in black on the south-facing side of the memorial sometime between Thursday night and Friday morning.
The granite monument, located in Lee Square at 602 N. Palafox St., was erected in 1891 to honor “the Uncrowned Heroes of the Southern Confederacy, whose joy was to suffer and die for a cause they believed to be just,” according to the inscription on the memorial.
The Pensacola Police Department was notified of the damage just before 7:30 a.m. Friday, according to a news release from the department. Damage to the statute was estimated at around $1,000.

PENSACOLA NEWS JOURNAL
Milton to keep Confederate flags

“We are investigating this as possible felony criminal mischief because of the extent of damage,” Pensacola Chief of Police David Alexander III said in a written statement.
In another statement, Mayor Ashton Hayward said, “Acts such as this negatively impact the city’s image and take time away from the day-to-day duties of city personnel.”
The act of vandalism is the latest in a wave of similar incidents around the country. Confederate memorials in Baltimore, St. Louis, Austin, North Carolina and South Carolina have been defaced in roughly the past month.
The defacings come in the midst of a national movement against the flag that has seen it removed from public facilities, retails stores and even the famed General Lee from the “Dukes of Hazzard” TV show.

PENSACOLA NEWS JOURNAL
Rebel flag didn't last long at graffiti bridge

In Pensacola, Allen Armentrout stood in front of the monument Friday afternoon holding a large Confederate flag and a smaller flag that belonged to his great grandfather’s great grandfather.
“I’m just out here trying to protect my heritage today, because it’s trying to be erased from the history books,” said Armentrout.
Auby Smith — head of the local camp of the Sons of Confederate Veterans — said he was saddened and disappointed to learn of the local memorial’s defacement.

PENSACOLA NEWS JOURNAL
City, county lower Confederate flags

Smith said that while others have many assumptions and opinions about what the Confederacy and the Confederate flag stand for, he and his organization only wanted to honor the tens of thousands of soldiers who gave their lives in battle.
“For us, our ancestors is what this is all about,” he said. “We are paying our respects to them. Nothing more, nothing less.”
Anyone with information on the incident is asked to call the Pensacola Police Department at 435-1900 or Crime Stoppers at 433-STOP.
LEAVE A COMMENT

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
People continue to say that the Walton BCC in April 1964 voted to erect a Confederate Flag at the Civil War monument in order to protest desegregation. Those gentlemen have passed on and they are not here to tell us why they did what they did. However you can read the DFS Herald from April 14, 1964. At the April meeting they voted to ask the State of Florida to erect an historical marker recognizing the monument and also voted to erect a flag near the monument. No mention of desegregation, which was 5 years in the future, or the 1964 Civil Rights Act, which was passed in July were made. From the article the evidence would suggest that they were looking to improve the monument, not protest a law that had not even been passed yet.

http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00028316/00224?search=april+1964

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
There was also an act of violence against those flying the Confederate flag (on private property) here in Walton County a few days ago. Someone from the Pride Ride said that her fiancee was driving north on 331 and stopped for someone making a turn and people advanced on his truck and ripped the flags down destroying the poles. The victim said the people responsible were ticketed for destruction of private property by a cop who witnessed the altercation.

P.S. I fully expect that some dumb a$$ will at some point, target the monument itself.

Last edited:

carson

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2014
Seagrove
There was also a random act of violence against those flying the Confederate flag (on private property) here in Walton County a few days ago. Someone from the Pride Ride said that her fiancee was driving north on 331 and stopped for someone making a turn and people advanced on his truck and ripped the flags down destroying the poles. The victim said the people responsible were ticketed for destruction of private property by a cop who witnessed the altercation.

P.S. I fully expect that some dumb a$$ will at some point, target the monument itself.

I just got back from a business trip from Jacksonville, Charleston, Augusta and Atlanta. I drove because I had a lot of stops, needless to say I saw a lot of North Florida, eastern Alabama and a lot of Georgia and South Carolina. I can 100% say without any hesitation, that Walton Co. can stand toe to toe with any other redneck, backwater county in any of those states. I understand rights, history, honor and heritage. Many southern states chose to put a version of, or the actual confederate battle flag up on state capitols in the early 60s, odd timing considering that the Civil rights movement was in full swing. The flag is a symbol of intolerance, not heritage. It is today and always has been. Flags flown in public places should be representative of the people as a whole, regardless of its history or heritage. I am not from Walton Co., I am from Texas, but I am a full time resident here now. It is borderline embarrassing about the fervor over a flag. We should also fly the flags of Senegal, Gambia and the Congo seeing as that is where a majority of the slaves were from. How would that play out? That is heritage too.