• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
The legal ownership of slaves in the northern states was abolish, state by state, in the late 1700's, although some slaves were kept illegally. The last state to completely abolish slavery, New Jersey, had 18 slaves in 1860.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
The ownership of slaves in most northern states ended in the late 1700's.

Actually they abolished slavery by the end of the late 18th century some with gradual systems that didn't free the last slave until 1820.

Rewrite history much LakeView?

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
The liberation of slavery from the northern states was started one generation after the Revolutionary War. It was virtually complete by 1860. This sounds like the north did have the morally correct attitude towards slavery. So basically, the assertion the north had slaves just flat wasn't true in 1860.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
The liberation of slavery from the northern states was started one generation after the Revolutionary War. It was virtually complete by 1860. This sounds like the north did have the morally correct attitude towards slavery. So basically, the assertion the north had slaves just flat wasn't true in 1860.

Who said 1860? I said 1820...you said 1700's.No one has the moral high ground.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Well, you're wrong again. People who try to evolve and make an attempt to be more compassionate to their fellow man have the moral high ground. People who legally abolished slavery in 1780 have the moral high ground over people who still, to this day, harbor delusions of white supremacy.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Well, you're wrong again. People who try to evolve and make an attempt to be more compassionate to their fellow man have the moral high ground. People who legally abolished slavery in 1780 have the moral high ground over people who still, to this day, harbor delusions of white supremacy.

And who harbors those delusions that you know of Lakeview? It certainly isn't the folks I know who agreed with the BCC.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
LVT just stop. Please stop. "Try to evolve and make an attempt to be more compassionate", really. Please just go to your moral high ground and be happy with yourself. You are a wonderful person and we who fly the Confederate Flag or support those that do are simply less than you. Not. You do not need to try so hard at being morally better....unless your are hiding from something. You do not know anything about those you say "harbor delusions of white supremacy". You want to believe something that is just not true. Look in the mirror and tell yourself, "I am a good person"!

The issue is not

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
No. It isn't political. It's deeply cultural. Many conservatives have come out against the flag, and not just recently. There are mixed feelings on the matter from apathy to strongly wanting to keep it flying for "pride and heritage". I believe Mayor Gillum when he goes into the details for his decision not to attend the conference in Sandestin. He has constituents and family to consider among other thoughts - I appreciate his words and stance on the issue. If only our community could consider the consequences of this flag flying over everyone (not just their pride and heritage) - but Walton County has made its decision - it's a decision we all have to live with but we don't all have to be proud of it.

Secondly, I am not going to Walton County. While the Chamber of Commerce had a business and logistical decision to make with regard to this years' conference, in addition to these concerns, my decision emanates from several additional factors. I serve as the mayor of Florida's Capital City. I am a black man, husband and father to two precious children, who need to look up to their father as an example of moral and principled leadership. I am still grieving over my friend and colleague, Rev. Clementa Pinckney of South Carolina's Emanuel AME Church, having been murdered under the premise of Confederate ideology. I learned from my ancestors at a very early age that if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.
You should believe whatever you need to believe but Mayor Gillum had pressure to "make a stand". He listened to others including his own family and made a stand. If politics and social justice crusaders had not hijacked the Confederate Flag for their personal or political agenda then he would not have had to make a stand. Neither would I. Your own words in this thread forced me to make a stand instead of allowing me to try and reason with both sides. You need to take responsibility for yourself and when someone tells you they are sorry for all of slavery and racism but that it has nothing to do with them then you need to listen really listen. Let African Americans speak for themselves like Curtis Richardson and Mayor Gillum. Trust me they do not need you to speak for them.

Last edited by a moderator: