photos - Grayton Beach - Oct 22 2005

Discussion in 'All About SoWal' started by Smiling JOe, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

... and from the toxic fumes, died two years early, and still left rusty metal on the beach.

2. cassie

cassie Beach Lover

Just wanted to say thanks again for posting such great pictures all the time. Every week I snag one for a new "desktop" on my computer, it's very uplifting. I also e mail one or two to my husband at work to remind him why we write that check out every month for a home so far away ... he he he, thanks!

:clap_1:

3. Waterman

Waterman Beach Lover

It is ironic that I logged on today for the first time in quite a while. Smiling Joe has provided me all the way on the other coast with pictures of South Walton for a long time now. I only agree with the rest that this man puts more smiles on peoples faces, not only nationwide, but around t :clap_1: he globe as well. Thans again SJ for your contribution to me, but the public service as well.

4. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

We elect you president of the Smiling JOe Fan Club! I'll take the post that talks all the time!!!

5. aquaticbiology

aquaticbiology fishlips

oh, no, I wouldn't have stuck around to watch - the owners of the 'beach trash' or their supposed 'friends' would have probably called the cops if someone 'messed with their belongings'. Just dress up (or down) to look like your lest-favorite person, chuck a...hmmm, I'd better not tell y'all exactly how to do it just in case y'all get some hare-brained ideas...and POOF, then run like hell! But I would have loved to seen the looks on the stupid faces the next day when all their stuff they left behind was all charred and useless. The 'hand flap' and the 'foot stomp' are the best. Fire is so cleansing. Tents make the most pretty colored fire. If someone leaves it on the public beach, then they take the risk of some crazy beach lover (like me) torching it to make a point. And it will be removed much quicker, since the beach patrol can call it in to be removed if its charred but cannot touch it whole. Passive resistance never won a war.

http://www.wjhg.com/news/headlines/859647.html (panama city beach - you are not the only ones with the problem)

"The board wants to refocus the trash pickup to public areas of the beach, therefore requiring beach front property owners to step up their effort in keeping the world's most beautiful beaches beautiful."

Be sure you have your tetanus shot SJ!

6. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

The reason these were piled up is probably due to the owners leaving town, and leaving their crappola on the beach. Your burning it would do nothing, except emit toxic fumes into our atmosphere. I guess you still burn tires for your campfires in MS? [​IMG]

7. aquaticbiology

aquaticbiology fishlips

why, of course! it get's rid of the mosquitos! :razz:

just kidding, we retread them and use them on our cars! :twisted:

toxic fumes not withstanding, perhaps it would be a warning to the others

but I bet they said "we'll leave them for somebody else to use" and felt good about themselves as they walked away

if everything left unoccupied overnight were torched, the County would have to act, which they wouldn't if the items just disappeared.

so if we can't burn them...

how about processing them CSI style and sending the owners a bill

maybe a grand per item?

'local company gets big contract for beach cleanup and forensic processing'?

'said to have huge prospect for additional county earnings (and clean up our beaches)'?

like that planet in 'hitchhiker's guide' where the difference between what you consume and release comes out of your fleshy bits

or we could just let the TDC worry about it - they sold out to these people

or we could retreat the houses back, force the oily cars and suv's off the beach and make the beachgoers lug their trash under armed guard

you live there, you decide

8. DBOldford

DBOldford Beach Fanatic

I confess, our own Smilin' Joe caught me walking the beach at sunset in clamdiggers and a baseball cap, the SoWal poster. Heather Lockyear, eat your heart out... :funn: What a gorgeous week it was, even with the red tide coming in one day pretty bad. Where else in the world could you walk up to a guy on the beach, ask if he's the guy who reported on your house after the storm, and hit the jackpot? It was great to meet you. Hope we see you over the holidays. We are thinking about that little party sometime between Christmas and New Year's.

How was the fish??? Our neighbors brought over a big bag of freshly caught red snapper and grouper, which was the best fish I've ever eaten. I made a low country boil one night and the shrimp were fine and tasty. We also had some flounder that was yummy. FYI, the new Publix Market Bakery made a red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting for my mother's birthday party and it was wonderful! Also very reasonably priced at $13 and served 12. (Christmas is coming...)

I loved meeting all of you, Smilin' Joe and the anniversary couple from Atlanta and Kurt (Finally! a Kurt meet'cha-in-the-face!) Kurt, the photography show at Bud & Alley's is stunning and I love our baby sting ray print.

One would think that I wouldn't be so stunned by the beauty of our beaches, having lived there for so many years. But this past week just took my breath away (and I'm not talking about the red tide). It's a spot worth saving and fighting for, in spite of the storms and rising costs and ever increasing crowds. We are so excited about being able to spend the holidays there this year.

And...oh, those crab cakes at The Red Bar!!! :clap_1:

9. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

[​IMG]

10. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Sounds like a most perfect visit! Have you left so soon?

11. DBOldford

DBOldford Beach Fanatic

Alas, yes. Turned out that a number of my clients were effected by the huge wine warehouse fire that occurred right before I went down there. One lost her entire 2003 vintage (cult wine) and several others lost their entire wine libraries, which really is the history of the winery and a sort of "owner's manual" for them. A huge tragedy and occasioned frenzied board meetings, etc. Florida gets hurricanes and the wine country gets arson. The losses were in excess of $100 million and still counting. This was a building where nuclear submarines were once built, 4-ft. thick concrete walls and roof, 2-ft. thick steel doors, indestructible. Problem is...the firefighters could not penetrate the building in order to fight the fire. Now we have to figure out how to get the wine and break the necks off the bottles so that the ruined wine is not sold to a rogue discount outfit that will sell it at reduced prices and ruin the reputation of the wineries effected.

Back to South Walton, however...we are looking forward to spending two weeks down at Grayton during Christmas and New Year's. We will bring our new puppy, Butter because he loves the water. Will attend the party at Pandora's, have some pals over for casual dinners and good wine, and enjoy long walks on the chilly beach. Ya gotta love it, eh?

12. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Sounds like you will need another beach break soon! What a horrible tragedy for the grape folk. Was it really arson?

Well, at least SJ has caught you on film for posterity! It is an awesome pic! He caught me and Molly as well, but alas...we never have met.

13. beachbunny

beachbunny Beach Comber

Always the most beautiful pictures ,makes next summer feel like ages away. :sosad: