• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I don't know that "glad" is the right word - someone killing themself is never a cause for celebration and we don't know what made this guy so desperate - but I am certainly relieved that it is finally over and that we never have to worry about our community (or others) being in danger from this guy again.

Truthfully though - I certainly am finding it hard to be very sorry that a multi-day manhunt for an armed fugitive that endangered many people (both in law enforcement and civilians), probably cost hundreds of thousands of dollars we can ill afford in the current economy, and scared the crap out of us and our kids ended so definitively.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
All this took place all around my house. My son was locked in and we couldn't get him out when it all began on Friday. Thankfully we were able to get him out Friday night but we had to live with this guy lurking around since then. We returned to our home today only to get caught in the middle of this all over again.

When you have a SWAT team, bloodhounds, dozens of law enforcement cars in front of your house and in your yard it gets personal. This man was prepared to kill and attempted it before.

Sheriff Adkinson and all the teams involved need to be commended. There is nothing like seeing this unfold in front of you to make you realize the degree of danger our officers face daily.

And now perhaps we can begin to get our lives back to normal.

We have all had an awful weekend. I have to admit that we didn't have any charitable thoughts for this guy while he was alive- when you have a small child holed up in a room with the blinds drawn and the adults are peering through the blinds, it gets just a little bit weird. A neighborhood get together to just get to know all who were involved will be a great thing for all of us.

I never thought I would ever be in this type of situation again- it happened to us right outside of Louisville with a domestic dispute. SWAT team, the whole thing. Today was a bit more intense with the resolution happening 2 lots up from my house. I am just hoping to sleep tonight- we are tired, as I imagine the law enforcement people are too....

As far as judging the WCSO and other law enforcement goes- armchair quarterbacking is always really easy. Those of you judging and commenting have no idea.

Last edited:

srroth

Beach Comber
Sep 9, 2007
All said, I am glad this is over, not glad someone died. We have no idea what was going through his mind or what brought him to do the things he did, and they were BAD things. I will say, he had opportunities to get into someones home in Pt Washington, my neighbors homes, whether occuppied or not and steal food, money, car, etc...yet didnt. He had the opportunity to do some real harm when he was hiding in the woods. It makes me think he had a conscious, he didnt hurt us. Surely he was desperate, hungry, thirsty....yet he left us alone. My heart hurts for everyone involved, LE, neighbors, especially kids, the criminal and his family, it's tragic. Let's not rejoice that someone died, lets rejoice we are safe, that we have neighbors and friends that care and we are protected by an amazing LE community.

Well said. He was a bank robber not a killer.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I agree. While he did endanger others' lives, he wasn't out shooting at people in the hood. He was shooting at cops to try and avoid arrest. If he wanted to kill people, you would be reading about deaths of loved ones and neighbors in our community. I think we all know that life is precious, and that shouldn't need further explanation. I am thankful that the people in Pt Washington can sleep a little easier tonight. If I still lived over there, I would have had to break out the night vision camera and go looking for him myself and definitely let my dogs sniff him out. (well, maybe I'm not that brave.)

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
The only reason he isn't a killer (of anyone but himself) is that he missed when he was shooting at people or ramming them with his vehicle, not because he went out of his way to keep from hurting people. :roll: Sympathy level is still very low at Casa Scooterbug - the fact that he was shooting at cops doesn't mean he wasn't trying to kill our friends and neighbors - in fact it means the opposite!!!

Last edited:

LuciferSam

Banned
Apr 26, 2008
Sowal

I don't completely agree on that one. He just wasn't successful at killing. He shot at policeman both here and in Texas. Sounds to me like he was ready willing but just not able to kill. We will never know for sure, but I am willing to bet that under the right circumstances he would have taken one of our SoWal residents hostage or even killed someone if it would have helped him evade law enforcement. It may be sad that he died, but that's preferable to some of the other possible outcomes.

aggieb

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2007
ibx
What's "tacky" is the empathy being shown for this fool. He shot at a cop. Let me "say" that agin. HE SHOT AT A COP. Do you think someone who would do that would even think twice about shooting at you or at me? I have a 9 1/2 YO that is still terrified because of this. She spent almost 2 hours locked in her teachers office in the classroom. She was up until well after midnight literally shaking the entire bed (no, she would not go into her own room alone). She is literally sick to her stomach STILL.

I'll be the non-PC one and say it. I'm glad the dirtbag is dead.
i am not empathetic in the least little bit, but i am neither glad or happy that happened. i know the hell that you all have been through this weekend and now you can all get back to living your peaceful lives because he's dead.

Last edited:

redfish86

Beach Crab
Mar 9, 2008
You are gonna be the non PC one yet this is the only post you have ever made on this board? Oh puleeze.

Please forgive me for posting my opinion as my 1st post. I guess it is of less importance since I am "new". Never mind that I have a real stake in this issue.

Last edited:

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
We have all had an awful weekend. I have to admit that we didn't have any charitable thoughts for this guy while he was alive- when you have a small child holed up in a room with the blinds drawn and the adults are peering through the blinds, it gets just a little bit weird. A neighborhood get together to just get to know all who were involved will be a great thing for all of us.

I never thought I would ever be in this type of situation again- it happened to us right outside of Louisville with a domestic dispute. SWAT team, the whole thing. Today was a bit more intense with the resolution happening 2 lots up from my house. I am just hoping to sleep tonight- we are tired, as I imagine the law enforcement people are too....

As far as judging the WCSO and other law enforcement goes- armchair quarterbacking is always really easy. Those of you judging and commenting have no idea.

This post and others made me cry for all of you that had to experience such terror.

Thank you to jdarg and all the other PW residents that have taken the time to post their thoughts and experiences here. I will not judge anyone's initial thoughts after this harrowing event. I believe what these citizens have been through would bring the bravest of the brave to their knees. Many of these posters are new to this board and we have no point of reference in understanding who they might be under normal circumstances. I pray you all find the following days peaceful and that you get your sense of well being and safety back, soon. Knowing what a great law enforcement agency you have must bring you much comfort.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
I just wanted all of you to know that experienced this I am happy that you are all safe. I know it must have been very hard for those of you that have young children. It is so hard for them to understand that there are bad guys out there. I hope that all of you can rest peacefully now and get back to normal. I believe that good always come out of something bad, and maybe this will bring all of you together in a way that you never thought possible. Here is to peace in "hood" for all of you!