• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
I don't disagree with that. In fact I have been one of the harshest critics of the BCC for the last 25-30 years. I hate the hidden agendas, developers who influence the BCC and self interests . I hate that the people don't really have a voice in their own government unless they have a pocket full of cash larger than the developers pockets are deep. I use to write letters to the Editor on a weekly basis and attended every BCC meeting held in this County. I've exposed more BCC BS than I can even remember. I've seen BCC Commissioners come and go and when they left rather than STOP recycling the garbage people would re-elect them and it's still going on to this day. The entire BCC right now (with the exception of Cindy Meadows) is made up entirely of people who have served in Walton County Government for years and years in some capacity or another, who ALL promised change but have literally fought against one another to keep things the same. (Cecilia Jones calling Ms. Meadows a b*itch) at a PUBLIC meeting is but 1 example.

It tool almost 7 years after the BCC VOTED unanimously to build an animal shelter for them to actually break ground. It also took 3 different BCC boards and as many unanimous votes for them to do so. The landfill has leaked off county property for years. It was so bad the county actually bought up land the landfill had leaked on to. We have spent millions of tax dollars to fix a perpetual problem that's never been fixed. We have paid hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines to the EPA and now the "new thing" is to hire expensive lawyers at $725.00 an hour on how to customarily use the beach.

Seriously steelman...do you think incorporation is going to change that? If you do, you're as delusional as the folks who keep voting to keep these folks in office.

Cecila Jones called Commissioner Meadows a B!$@H at a meeting?

No way! She is a woman of Christian Values and would not do such a thing...

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Cecilia called her a Jezabell and the lawyers rate is $425/hr.

OOps...I stand corrected....I won't quibble over semantics and petty change. :)

JustAnotherTourist

Beach Comber
Jun 21, 2016
Atlanta
I know it will never happen, but I would love to see ALL vendor activity cease on the beaches of 30A. There are plenty of Atlantic Coast beaches where no vendor activity of any kind is allowed. When people have to carry their own stuff ... they bring less stuff! Most people don't bring over more than an umbrella, some chairs and a beach bag. You don't see the baby pools, huge speakers, giant coolers, mountains of toys, cots, hammocks, etc. etc. Less stuff = less trash, less noise, less crap that gets left behind as garbage at the end of the day. Plenty of rental homes provide chairs and umbrellas for their guests but they have to carry it to and from the beach themselves. If it gets lost or broken, it comes out of the rental deposit. There are companies that provide gear rentals like SUP boards, etc. but again ... you rent, you carry. When people bring less stuff, the beaches automatically feel less crowded. People and their belongings come and go all day, vs these giant encampments standing empty half the day. I don't necessarily think increased crowds are as much of a problem as increased STUFF which gives a sometimes false impression of more people / crowds. If vendor set ups went away, there would instantly be more room for everyone to spread out!!

Suzanne Harris

Beach Fanatic
Aug 19, 2008
[
Cecila Jones called Commissioner Meadows a B!$@H at a meeting?

No way! She is a woman of Christian Values and would not do such a thing...

QUOTE="John G, post: 849933, member: 26348"]Cecila Jones called Commissioner Meadows a B!$@H at a meeting?

No way! She is a woman of Christian Values and would not do such a thing...[/Q

JustAnotherTourist

Beach Comber
Jun 21, 2016
Atlanta
'A very aggressive beach' Vacationer sheds light how vendors can ruin enjoyment of paradise

"A manager at The Beach Chair Company spoke of Seacrest as “a very aggressive beach” and claimed his vendors do a great deal to keep the peace on crowded ground."

You guys! Those poor innocent chair vendors are just doing their very best to "keep the peace!" Don't blame them!! Uh..... who do you think created the "aggression" and "crowded ground" situation in the first place?? We've vacationed on that very stretch of beach for many years (the one shared by Seacrest and Sunset Beach). It's not that small. If there were NO CHAIR SET UPS taking up every inch of space .... it WOULD NOT BE THAT CROWDED. Can these guys not see that they are creating the very problem they are attempting to "solve" via their chair set ups???

"He declined to identify himself, detail strategies for setting up chairs or discuss O’Sullivan’s complaints. He referred questions to the homeowner’s association.

Lee Nettles, the association manager for the Seacrest Beach homeowners association, would not answer questions for the Daily News. He did send O’Sullivan an email, though, apologizing for her trouble.

“Seacrest Beach purchased a 50 percent interest in the beach late last year and inherited the third and final year of the current vendor’s contract,” Nettles said in the email. “We will have more control over the vendor next year, as we will be negotiating the terms of the contract.”

No comment from the beach chair company manager. No comment from the HOA. Visitors can and will make their "comment" heard - by not returning. Myself and many others don't want to vacation at beaches where HOAs "purchase interest" in the beach turnaround and lease their interest to a vendor on "their" beach. Of course they're not talking. They're too busy lining their pockets with this extortion scam. Utterly ridiculous.

Last edited:

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Letters with notification of the new Ordinance have been going out and they give a July 15th deadline for beach front owners to remove their signs, posts, chains, ropes, barbed wire, etc.

It also advised of a $500 fine...

Folks, we seen Sheriff Mike and the BCC do the "Walton Two Step" and win on dancing with the Stars.

Next we are going to see TDC Code Enforcement show use something called "Walton County Selective Enforcement".

July 15th, owners will be cited.

The problem here is that TDC Code Enforcement, is really good and has the track record to prove it, in giving "verbal warnings" and "written warnings" on other violations. Rarely do they issue a summons or civil infraction (fine).

If they plan to enforce the new Ordinance, I'll expect the vendors that stack chairs in the dunes and all the other left overs on the beach to not only be removed but also fined the same amount.

Anything less would scream of selective enforcement and one could argue discriminatory practices by a government agent / agency.

Sniff, sniff, smell another law suit!