Policy on Personal Beach Chairs vs Vendor

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by dragonflycafe, Jun 18, 2016.

1. LarsAtTheBeach

LarsAtTheBeach Beach Fanatic

2. LarsAtTheBeach

3. m1a1mg

m1a1mg Beach Fanatic

Funny, I moved to SC last August. Isle of Palms beach has maybe 75-100 rental setups in 7 miles. There is an easement from the beach road where daily visitors are allowed to park. There are many beach access points, although no facilities. Of course, all beach in SC, except on private islands, is public.

When SoWal property owners became the greedy SOBs that they are today, it just got to be too much. Having beach vendors move your setups is just part of the issue. I've had guards tell me I had to continue to move along the beach, even though I was in wet sand.

4. Lucas Reynolds

Lucas Reynolds Beach Lover

Of course ... NOT all beaches in SC, except seaward of the MHWL, is public. Just like in FL.

And these photos are representative of the customary-use you want private property owners to accept on the property they pay taxes on?
    What is wrong with the over 6 miles of Walton public beaches (some you can drive on!) with over 5,000 acres of public parks with parking, restrooms, and camping that you want to take legally recognized property rights FL owners have today?

5. carson

carson Beach Fanatic

I wondered where you went, I hadn't seen you post in a while. I love Charleston, Isle of Palms is kind of the best of both. The Long Island cafe and the Boathouse, two of my favorite spots.

6. Dreamer

Dreamer Beach Lover

I also love Charleston. Have family in Mt. Pleasant & Hollywood. The food is amazing, but the beaches are horrible. Isle of Palms has dark water and dark sand. It gets so hot in Charleston during the summer that you literally can't go out. We thought about selling our Grayton property and buy in Charleston, but after spending some time there we just couldn't part with the beautiful beaches and gulf of mexico. Also, doesn't hurt to be so close to NOLA!

7. Born&Bread

Born&Bread Beach Lover

Obviously all the people that go there every year love it. We live in a tourist town these things are going to happen. People come here on vacation and yes they want to rent beach chairs. They come down here have the time of their life and come back every year. They save up all year and come down here and spend it. This is how our economy works and expecially a county that needs tourist's money to operate. I hear Mexico Beach is a good nice quiet place and Navarre Beach.

8. Born&Bread

Born&Bread Beach Lover

What about the public that wishes to rent chairs?

9. Born&Bread

Born&Bread Beach Lover

Maybe like where vendors can only use 50 percent of public beach. Then let the public use all 100 percent. Sounds like a good compromise.

10. Born&Bread

Born&Bread Beach Lover

What happens when a vendor has used those public beaches for years to make a living for their family. So just shut them down? Fend for yourself? I know Jones had a son in the beach vending but I believe he got out of it. He had his company on orivate property. I think Mrs Jones knows most vendors are getting a raw deal. How would you like it if someone came to your job or business and shut you down because they didnt like it?

11. Gingersnap

Gingersnap Beach Lover

A raw deal? LOL! That's the cushiest deal in the country! If someone came to my business, located on privately owned property, that I paid for or that I hold the mortgage or lease on and set up rows of chairs blocking my customers path to my business, they would need the county swat team and an armored vehicle for protection. The chairs would look like match sticks and I couldn't guarantee the safety of the squatters.

We aren't talking about privately owned land. We are talking about publicly owned land that vendors have been literally given that was not legally the counties to give.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

Then let the public call one of the many vendors,arrange a deal, (I need 2 setups at such and such public beach access,on Sat.and Sun.) The vendor then meets customer,gets paid and puts the 2 setups (2chairs/1umbrella?for each?)on the beach. They then return that evening, pick up setups and repeat the following day. I am pretty sure how the chair vending business started years ago.....(might want to check with Chip (Beachchairs4u?) since he is the first person I can remember doing it around here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Born&Bread

Born&Bread Beach Lover

Ok so what if they go up for lunch? Empty set up = mad locals. If a vendor is setting up unrented chairs on public beach they need to be punished.

14. LarsAtTheBeach

I do not believe anyone has issue with the beach vending business. I actually think its a great business.

The issue is vendors operating on PUBLIC property.

And this does not single out the chair/umbrella vendors. I feel the same way about weddings or any special or large gathering.

It should not be happening on PUBLIC beach property.

15. m1a1mg

m1a1mg Beach Fanatic

In SC, from the sea oats out is public. And the owners share their front yards for visitors to park.

And really, what is so horrible about sharing the sand? You are just another greedy ***.

16. Dreamer

Dreamer Beach Lover

jodiFL has it right! The only place vendors should be allowed to set-up without a rental is behind the big resorts (Sandestin). Otherwise, there should be no set-up without prior rental.

17. MRBS

MRBS Beach Lover

Yes, agree. That's how it used to be in the early days...like around 2004 is the first time I ever heard of chair vending outside of resort.

18. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

Most people do not want to be forced to Rent chairs ....as always you reports are false..must be retired national news agency

19. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

Well that's about 90% that needs punishment...TDC ain't gonna do that..to,lazy

20. Lucas Reynolds

Lucas Reynolds Beach Lover

M1 do you have any proof or facts of your claim? SC state statute? You made the claim that SC littoral private property with title to the MHWL is public from the vegetation line to the Atlantic. You have the burden of proof.
    You can call me/people names but I'm not ignorant of the facts. Prove your claim. Your are entitled to your opinion but you are not entitle to your own facts.
    Education of property rights is key. "The fewer the facts the stronger the opinion."