• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

TN2FLA

Beach Lover
Jan 12, 2006
Dune Allen
Caught 6 pompano Wed. and another 2 yesterday...been using a 3 hook pompano rig with head-on shrimp. They have been biting best the two hours up until high tide. Good luck, they were great on the grill, cooked em last night!

TN2FLA

Beach Lover
Jan 12, 2006
Dune Allen
Have also caught alot of sting rays, be careful when wading out! Saw a group catch several salt water cats, a guy catch a black tip snapper, and another guy catch a permit.

Spencer

Beach Lover
Mar 27, 2006
Are you sure it was a permit? Kind of odd for our waters. Maybe a big pompano or smaller jack?

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
COBIA R RUNNING!!!

just had the phone call!!!!!

9904-54.jpg

"Where the rays go in northeast Florida, so go the cobia." - http://www.floridasportsman.com/sportfish/cobia/SR_9904_Working/

"Cobia fever hits hard in the Panhandle each year. The fish seem to spend the winter almost hibernating around offshore reefs in 180 to 250 feet of water. Before the spring run inshore begins, there are often reports of cobia being caught by grouper fishermen on the deepwater reefs." - http://www.floridasportsman.com/sportfish/cobia/S_9903_Wads/

"Cobia are usually first sighted off Destin. Then, within days, or even hours, sightings are reported from Panama City to Pensacola. Within the week, they are being sighted around Mexico Beach and Apalachicola. As the temperature warms, the fever intensifies. Several prestigious tournaments take place each year, and 'Class Act' was entered in a pair of month-long events based in Destin." - http://www.floridasportsman.com/sportfish/cobia/S_9903_Wads/

TACKLE
Since this is basically open-water fishing, casting-style tackle is preferable over bottom-fishing gear or the heavy boat rods that are often associated with cobia. A suitable outfit can be made up of either spinning or bait-casting-type gear. The rod should be in the 6- to 6 1/2-foot range with plenty of butt-section strength and a quick tip for the short and accurate casts that are regularly required. The reel should have a good drag and capacity for around 200 yards of 20-pound-test monofilament line, though lighter line can be used in a pinch. In fact, one May morning trip took an interesting turn when a 45-pound cobia appeared near an inshore rip during an outing for speckled trout. We ended up taking that fish on a popping outfit and 14-pound line. That's a bit extreme, but it illustrates what is possible in a pinch.

To complete the rig, a 3-foot length of 50-pound fluorocarbon makes a good leader. Tie it directly to the line with an Albright knot. Finish out with a 1/2-ounce jighead featuring a stout 2/0 or 3/0 hook. Tip the hook with a cigar minnow, a 4- to 6-inch menhaden, or a similar-sized soft-plastic imitation.

JOINING THE BATTLE
Cast the setup about three feet ahead of the cobia and immediately begin a fairly rapid retrieve with short pumps, and it is a good bet you will get a bite!

In fact, you will likely see the fish take the bait. But do not try to set the hook based on what you are seeing. Rather, keep reeling until you feel the fish's weight and then give it two or three short sharp jabs. After that, just try to hold on!

If everything goes in your favor, the cobia eventually comes alongside the boat. Here it is paramount to be careful with the fish. These brown fish are quite prone to playing possum. Fall for that trick and bring a still "green" cobia into the boat and he surely will make a shambles out of the contents of your vessel, and may even injure you or your crew!

Unless you can turn the fish handily with firm sideways pressure of the rod, he is still green. Be patient -- a lot of these fish are lost at this point by anglers attempting to gaff or net them prematurely. It is always best to drop the fish directly into an open ice chest, which should then be quickly closed. It is not a bad idea to then sit on the lid to prevent the fish from escaping the box.

The largest certified cobia to be caught in the northern Gulf of Mexico weighed 130 pounds, 1 ounce. Peter McCollester, who was fishing out of a marina in the Florida Panhandle, took the fish on March 21, 1997.

"- http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/saltwater-fishing/RA_0505_04/index1.html

my kind o fish!

prepare to get out of the way on friday night!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Second-hand report: Recently, Pompano have been seen 2 miles offshore swarming on the surface like bait fish. Plenty of Cobia offshore, too. Snapper season opens on Saturday, April 15.

redfisher

Beach Fanatic
Sep 11, 2005
Anybody caught pomps in the last couple of days...been out the last two days w/nothing...water seems to be churning a little more today, so will try a little later...just curious to know if anybody else has had good luck?...Red

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005

COBIA RUNNING!!!

My new favorite saying when I see a boat near the shore, or anytime the mood strikes!!!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Out of about 10 rods in the water yesterday at Grayton, I know of one guy who landed 2 Pompano, one of which dehooked himself on the beach and swam back into the Gulf. I think the water may have been a touch to rough for them yesterday. As Ms Kitty says, the Cobia are running. Saw two large ones yesterday at Grayton as the fishing boats were spot casting toward them. Then a few guys from the beach ran out throwing even more hardware at them. I think they know when they are being chased. Probably too rough for the Pompano again today.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Sueshore said:
COBIA RUNNING!!!

My new favorite saying when I see a boat near the shore, or anytime the mood strikes!!!

T-shirt idea!!

What do people with fishing poles do when they hear you? Go bananas?:rotfl: You are going to make boats crash into each other!