• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

gisele

Beach Comber
Sep 15, 2006
just a suggestion that my family likes, and we call it heart attack potatoes, add cream cheese to the same recipe. or if you are having chicken or pork add some fresh rosemary, and if it is steak add some pepper jack cheese and diced jalepeno's.

Sheila

SoWal Insider
oh, spaghetti, meatloaf, porkchops. Did I say apricots were exotic?
They would definately think baked apricots on ritz would just be over the top for them. They're not MY family. Let's put it this way, they wouldn't dare touch an oyster on the half shell, bruschetta, etc. They're plain folks.

No, I said exotic.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Johnrudy...you are getting kinky.

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
Ok..if YA'LL want something relly southern and amazingly tasty try this:
Corn bread salad
1 packet ranch dressing mix
1 cup mayo (pref. Dukes)
1 cup sour cream
Mix these together

Make 1 Package Jiffy corn muffin mix in a baking dish according to directions and let cool
1 can corn nibblets, drained
2 med Tomatoes diced
1 green, red or orange pepper, diced
1 bunch green onions, chopped
12 pieces cooked bacon, chopped
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Make salad:
Crumble 1/2 of the corn bread into a glass dish. Sprinkle 1/2 of the vegetables & bacon on top, spread with 1/2 of the cheese. Repeat layer, reserving a small amount of vegetables for garnish. Refrigerate 4 hours or up to 8.
This is really to die for. I used to make this for tennis matches.

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee
I'll check but I doubt it. I imagine I will be able to special order some tho.

Yes, we LOVE your daughter's salsa recipe!

PM me your address, and I will mail you some....where I live it is on most family's (not mine) every night.

dbuck

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
KY
Ok..if YA'LL want something relly southern and amazingly tasty try this:
Corn bread salad
1 packet ranch dressing mix
1 cup mayo (pref. Dukes)
1 cup sour cream
Mix these together

Make 1 Package Jiffy corn muffin mix in a baking dish according to directions and let cool
1 can corn nibblets, drained
2 med Tomatoes diced
1 green, red or orange pepper, diced
1 bunch green onions, chopped
12 pieces cooked bacon, chopped
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Make salad:
Crumble 1/2 of the corn bread into a glass dish. Sprinkle 1/2 of the vegetables & bacon on top, spread with 1/2 of the cheese. Repeat layer, reserving a small amount of vegetables for garnish. Refrigerate 4 hours or up to 8.
This is really to die for. I used to make this for tennis matches.

Allifunn, I made this recipe for my birthday club this week, delish!! I also have another cornbread recipe (different than this one- has chopped sweet pickles) that is very good. I will post it later.

This is my favorite cornbread recipe:

Nancy?s Cornbread

I got this recipe from a dear friend. I especially love to serve this with Cajun food, with chili or any other hearty soup, with the traditional New Year?s Day meal, and with ham on Easter.

1 cup self-rising cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
8 ounces sour cream
1 (8 1/2 ounce) can cream-style corn

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine all ingredients and pour into a greased 9-inch cake pan. Cook for 30-40 minutes. Serves 6-8.

dbuck

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
KY
Baked Apricots

4-6 cans apricots, drained
Ritz crackers-crushed
Butter-not margarine or fake butter
Brown sugar

There are no measurements. Eyeball it. Spray square casserole dish with Pam.

First layer: Crushed Ritz
Second layer: Sprinkle with brown sugar
Third layer: Dot with butter
Fourth layer: Apricots

Repeat layers finishing with crackers, brown sugar and butter.

Bake for about 40 min. or until brown and bubbly in 350 degree oven.

I know this sounds so redneck, but this is the absolute favorite side for Thanksgiving at the DD house. :D Great with turkey or ham. (not too sure how it goes with crab:D )

I have made this also. You know I hate to cook if it involves numerous ingredients and steps, so this recipe suits my cooking style (5 ing. or less). You can also make this with peach halves instead of apricots, just decrease the cooking time.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Allifunn, I made this recipe for my birthday club this week, delish!! I also have another cornbread recipe (different than this one- has chopped sweet pickles) that is very good. I will post it later.

I think I will offer something Southern to my family this year, so I am going to try this one. Sounds Delish, thanks :clap_1:

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Easy or Harder Sweet Potato/Yam Side dish
(for those that like easy or need to bring a dish somewhere else, or can be used with leftover turkey) You decide what you want to use:D

We usually cook sweet potatoes on the grill wrapped in tin foil (for some reason they taste much better)
I leave some out for those who want it just plain with butter or cinnamon for dietary reasons.
Then I make this recipe with the other potatos:
(After T-giving one can make it easily without the time of making it fresh with canned goods.)

I just use my eye for this, no exact ingredients.

Put sweet pototoes in a corning dish
Then I add fresh apple sauce (I use gala apples) layer over the top of the sweet potatoes or yams (I add cinnamon to my apple sauce)
then add a layer of brown sugar,
add layer of sweet potatoes again, apple sauce, and brown sugar
Top with oatmeal, then put in the oven briefly to warm through
Then I add a little butter to the top and more oatmeal, and then stick under broiler to make a crispy topping with the oatmeal.(just 15 seconds or so, it darkens and hardens quickly) I also put some cored apple pieces on top for decoration when I add the oatmeal. (but not necessary)

After the holidays or at holidays for an easy side, the above ingedients can be substituted for canned yams, and canned apple sauce and put in the microwave (covered with saran wrap) then put the oatmeal and broil 15-20 seconds.
Fast and easy and has always been a hit.