• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

dbuck

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
KY
Ok..if YA'LL want something relly southern and amazingly tasty try this:
Corn bread salad
1 packet ranch dressing mix
1 cup mayo (pref. Dukes)
1 cup sour cream
Mix these together

Make 1 Package Jiffy corn muffin mix in a baking dish according to directions and let cool
1 can corn nibblets, drained
2 med Tomatoes diced
1 green, red or orange pepper, diced
1 bunch green onions, chopped
12 pieces cooked bacon, chopped
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Make salad:
Crumble 1/2 of the corn bread into a glass dish. Sprinkle 1/2 of the vegetables & bacon on top, spread with 1/2 of the cheese. Repeat layer, reserving a small amount of vegetables for garnish. Refrigerate 4 hours or up to 8.
This is really to die for. I used to make this for tennis matches.

Allifunn, I just noticed something. Do you not put pinto beans in this? I do.

dbuck

Beach Fanatic
Jun 2, 2005
KY
Easy or Harder Sweet Potato/Yam Side dish
(for those that like easy or need to bring a dish somewhere else, or can be used with leftover turkey) You decide what you want to use:D

We usually cook sweet potatoes on the grill wrapped in tin foil (for some reason they taste much better)
I leave some out for those who want it just plain with butter or cinnamon for dietary reasons.
Then I make this recipe with the other potatos:
(After T-giving one can make it easily without the time of making it fresh with canned goods.)

I just use my eye for this, no exact ingredients.

Put sweet pototoes in a corning dish
Then I add fresh apple sauce (I use gala apples) layer over the top of the sweet potatoes or yams (I add cinnamon to my apple sauce)
then add a layer of brown sugar,
add layer of sweet potatoes again, apple sauce, and brown sugar
Top with oatmeal, then put in the oven briefly to warm through
Then I add a little butter to the top and more oatmeal, and then stick under broiler to make a crispy topping with the oatmeal.(just 15 seconds or so, it darkens and hardens quickly) I also put some cored apple pieces on top for decoration when I add the oatmeal. (but not necessary)

After the holidays or at holidays for an easy side, the above ingedients can be substituted for canned yams, and canned apple sauce and put in the microwave (covered with saran wrap) then put the oatmeal and broil 15-20 seconds.
Fast and easy and has always been a hit.

I will try this. This explains the sweet potato fries at Bud & Alley's, they were good - you must really like sweet potatos.

Allifunn

FunnChef - AlisonCooks.com
Jan 11, 2006
St Petersburg
Allifunn, I just noticed something. Do you not put pinto beans in this? I do.
No, I have never put beans in this....:dunno:
sometimes I put chopped green chili peppers (canned) in the corn bread.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
My Thanksgiving Recipe...Reservations at Sandestin Hilton:

Made-to-order omelet and Belgian waffle stations, fresh fruits, assorted breads, imported meats and cheeses, grilled and roasted marinated vegetables. Seafood and salads will accompany your choice of sage butter roasted turkey, pasta gigatoni with pancetta, spinach feta cheese and roasted red pepper cream sauce. The dinner will also feature cinnamon-honey glazed bone-in-ham with whole grain mustard sauce, pan seared filet of grouper with lump crabmeat, lemon, capers, tomatoes and fresh herbs and braised beef tips with pearl onions, baby carrots and wild mushroom cabernet sauce. Other accompaniments include a medley of roasted seasonal vegetables, parmesan cream whipped potatoes, candied roast sweet potatoes and southern-style cornbread dressing....and no clean-up.

Last edited:

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach

Made-to-order omelet and Belgian waffle stations, fresh fruits, assorted breads, imported meats and cheeses, grilled and roasted marinated vegetables. Seafood and salads will accompany your choice of sage butter roasted turkey, pasta gigatoni with pancetta, spinach feta cheese and roasted red pepper cream sauce. The dinner will also feature cinnamon-honey glazed bone-in-ham with whole grain mustard sauce, pan seared filet of grouper with lump crabmeat, lemon, capers, tomatoes and fresh herbs and braised beef tips with pearl onions, baby carrots and wild mushroom cabernet sauce. Other accompaniments include a medley of roasted seasonal vegetables, parmesan cream whipped potatoes, candied roast sweet potatoes and southern-style cornbread dressing....and no clean-up.

:lolabove: Sounds like you'll need to Supersize your clothing that day. :razz:

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area

omg - - this sounds heavenly. :drool: