• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Progressive Conservatives

New posts
I do not recall "ramming" anything down your throat. :floor:Explain what is wrong with "you go your way, I'll go mine?":idontno:

What's wrong with that???? You're not saying "You go your way, I'll go mine." You're saying, "I'll go my way and I expect everyone else to also." (I am specifically speaking about this situation of gay marriage.)

It has to do with the idea of voting against the right for 2 consenting adults to marry just because they are in a same sex relationship. That is putting one's personal judgment on someone else's life. If it's not one's cup of tea then fine, but banning someone from marrying for that reason is ramming one's beliefs down another's throat.
 
What's wrong with that???? You're not saying "You go your way, I'll go mine." You're saying, "I'll go my way and I expect everyone else to also." (I am specifically speaking about this situation of gay marriage.)

It has to do with the idea of voting against the right for 2 consenting adults to marry just because they are in a same sex relationship. That is putting one's personal judgment on someone else's life. If it's not one's cup of tea then fine, but banning someone from marrying for that reason is ramming one's beliefs down another's throat.


I respectfully disagree with you. Marriage is historically between one man and one woman. These individuals are historically two people who are not closely related (i.e. brother and sister) Once you open the door to changing the definition of marriage, then you open the door to other types of "marriages" outside the norm. Society has always maintained boundaries on the behavior of it's citizens. The goal is to maintain the boundaries for the benefit of the majority.

That is all I am saying, nothing more or less.
 
I respectfully disagree with you. Marriage is historically between one man and one woman. These individuals are historically two people who are not closely related (i.e. brother and sister) Once you open the door to changing the definition of marriage, then you open the door to other types of "marriages" outside the norm. Society has always maintained boundaries on the behavior of it's citizens. The goal is to maintain the boundaries for the benefit of the majority.

That is all I am saying, nothing more or less.

I have to respectfully disagree back. The whole "If you open the door" argument is not feasible, in my opinion. Marginalizing gay marriage out of fear that suddenly sisters and brothers will be marrying is just that: fear.

That was probably the argument in keeping interracial marriages illegal also. All kinds of chaos would happen when you allow blacks & whites to marry. Decades later, is it such a big deal at all? Nope, except for those who still have the tendency to have racist thoughts and values. IMO, the same thing will happen if the ban on gay marriage is removed. Gay marriage will be a non-issue, except to those still harbouring homophobic values.
 
I have to respectfully disagree back. The whole "If you open the door" argument is not feasible, in my opinion. Marginalizing gay marriage out of fear that suddenly sisters and brothers will be marrying is just that: fear.

That was probably the argument in keeping interracial marriages illegal also. All kinds of chaos would happen when you allow blacks & whites to marry. Decades later, is it such a big deal at all? Nope, except for those who still have the tendency to have racist thoughts and values. IMO, the same thing will happen if the ban on gay marriage is removed. Gay marriage will be a non-issue, except to those still harbouring homophobic values.

Please note that my responses comparing gay marriages & interracial marriages come from that's where my experience is greatest both in dealing with the issues at hand & as a diversity peer educator. It's not a hang-up of mine, just my particular point of reference. I could care less what an individual thinks, except in cases where their values are expressed in a way that would do emotional or bodily harm to my loved ones, both friends & family.
 
I respectfully disagree with you. Marriage is historically between one man and one woman. These individuals are historically two people who are not closely related (i.e. brother and sister) Once you open the door to changing the definition of marriage, then you open the door to other types of "marriages" outside the norm. Society has always maintained boundaries on the behavior of it's citizens. The goal is to maintain the boundaries for the benefit of the majority.

That is all I am saying, nothing more or less.

it was once normal to own slaves....dueling was deemed honorable....people were burned at the stake for following the wrong religion or discussing sporting events with witches....yes, historically the world was perfect
 
it was once normal to own slaves....dueling was deemed honorable....people were burned at the stake for following the wrong religion or discussing sporting events with witches....yes, historically the world was perfect

I thought you were talking about today....:floor:;-):floor:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top