• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

WaltonIsOne

Beach Lover
Nov 14, 2009
Walton County, FL
Scooterbug, again, you need to go back and read and comprehend the proposed legislation once again. ALL short term rentals will not be allowed to hold wedding events. Therefore ALL short term rental units are affected. ALL = 100%.

This fact does not meet the traditional criteria associated with the use of the expletive "Baloney".

Obviously, this "ain't" no "THINK tank". :banging:

Last edited:

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Sooo... this is an area that promotes itself as an exclusive beach destination area. There are probably a number of short term property owners who actually would like a less restrictive version of this because it keeps their area from seeming overcrowded, and the overflow from the 'sleeps 24' beach house next door from parking on their lawns and interfering with their renters' quiet enjoyment of their beach time.

WaltonIsOne

Beach Lover
Nov 14, 2009
Walton County, FL
Hey Beachmouse, the following county ordinances should be able to deal with the parking and beach rental property noise issues, when enforced. No county ordinance I can find deals with the "seeming overcrowded" issue unless fire safety becomes an issue due to an overcrowded building, etc.

Parking Ordinance

Sec. 20-10. Parking on lawns, pathways, in front of driveways, on private property and in certain rights-of-way.

(a) No vehicle shall be permitted to park on public building lawns, or in front of, or so as to block entrances or driveways into public or private property from streets, avenues, highways or boulevards.

(b) No vehicle shall be permitted to park in any private alley, drive, driveway or on other privately owned property without the permission or consent of the owners of such private alley, drive, driveway or property.

(Ord. No. 2003-15, ? 8, 9-9-03; Ord. No. 2005-09, ?? 2, 3, 4-26-05)

Sec. 20-11. Violations declared civil infractions.

Violations of section 20-3, 20-5, 20-8, 20-9, and 20-10 are hereby declared to be noncriminal, civil infractions and may be prosecuted in the name of the county, in a county court civil traffic hearing, by the sheriff's deputy who issued such citation.

(Ord. No. 2003-15, ? 9, 9-9-03)

Sec. 20-12. Enforcement procedures.

If a sheriff's deputy discovers a vehicle parked in violation of sections enumerated in section 20-11 as well as in violation of Florida Statute, he shall issue a notice of violation to the vehicle on a form to be provided by the county administrator and place a copy of the notice in a conspicuous place on the vehicle. The original notice shall then be filed with the clerk of the circuit court's traffic division which shall process it in accordance with F.S. ? 316.1967(1)--(4). The notice provided the violator and the clerk shall identify the vehicle, license plate number, time, date, location and violation charged. Additionally, the notice shall inform the violator that he has been charged with a noncriminal infraction and that he may elect to either:

(1) Pay a fine of $30.00; or

(2) Waive the scheduled fine and request a hearing with the traffic division. At such hearing the presiding judge shall, upon a finding that the violator committed the infraction charged, impose a civil penalty not to exceed $100.00 plus court costs.

(Ord. No. 2003-15, ? 10, 9-9-03)

Beach Noise Issue (for properties on the beach)

Sec. 22-40. Regulation of use and conduct on the beach.

Items I and J in the county code are as follows:

(i) Sound amplification. No audio device, such as loudspeakers, television, radio, compact disc, tape, or record player, or musical instrument, except equipment used by law enforcement, rescue or beach safety personnel, will be used on the beach in any manner, that can be heard by a person using normal hearing facilities, at a distance of 100 feet or more from the source of the sound without a special permit approved by the Board of County Commissioners, Walton County, Florida, for a fee of $25.00 per occurrence.

(j) Breach of the peace; disorderly conduct. No person shall commit such acts as are of a nature to corrupt the public morals, or outrage the sense of public decency, or affect the peace and quiet of persons who may witness them, or engage in brawling or fighting, or engage in such conduct as to constitute a breach of the peace or disorderly conduct.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Scooterbug, again, you need to go back and read and comprehend the proposed legislation once again. ALL short term rentals will not be allowed to hold wedding events. Therefore ALL short term rental units are affected. ALL = 100%.

This fact does not meet the traditional criteria associated with the use of the expletive "Baloney".

Obviously, this "ain't" no "THINK tank". :banging:
The word you are missing is negatively. I know it potentially affects them all, but those who did not allow/hold weddings and who are not currently exceeding the proposed occupants will not be negatively affected.

Mango - it is 1400/200=7 or 2x2 +4=8

You said the house was over 1400 so I wasn't sure if they would round up. Either way it's 7 people in a 2 bedroom.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
The word you are missing is negatively. I know it potentially affects them all, but those who did not allow/hold weddings and who are not currently exceeding the proposed occupants will not be negatively affected.

Mango - it is 1400/200=7 or 2x2 +4=8

You said the house was over 1400 so I wasn't sure if they would round up. Either way it's 7 people in a 2 bedroom.

Duh. I read it quickly as 2X2 =4. :lol:

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I have two questions for waltonisone and beach_umbrella:

1. Are you affiliated with a local rental agency?
2. Are you affiliated with a local "political movement"?

rdelong43065

Beach Fanatic
May 28, 2007
Seagrove
I just figured out what NIMBY meant.

BeachbumAggie

Beach Fanatic
Jun 6, 2008
Arlington, TX
Not being any owner now nor likely anytime soon, and being as it's just hubby and me, it likely won't be an issue for me when it comes to rentals. I do have lots of friends who come to SoWal with their kiddos. I have several friends whose family consists of 2 adults and 3 small kids and several of them prefer to rent a one bedroom with hall bunks since they are only in their condo long enough to sleep, they just don't really need a larger and more expensive 2 bedroom-sounds like this would force them into that rental option which could certainly make them decide that Pensacola, Ft Walton or Destin might work better for them. We've also had had 2 families of friends rent a 3/2 house with 4 adults and 4 kids in the bunkroom-since this house was probably less than 1500 sq ft, sounds like this would eliminate that option as well. I can see not wanting large parties to be held in a neighborhood since the unit's facilities and parking aren't designed for large parties but it seems overkill to make it where families or a group of friends can't rent a unit that meets their need in the smallest and most affordable space for them.

Groovegirls

Beach Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
I know many of the people on both sides of this issue. I have not run into many wine sipping, birkenstock wearing hippies. I have encountered some very nice and very frustrated retired folks who simply want to enjoy their living environment. For the most part, on the other side we have legitimate business people who have suddenly found their way of making a living on the chopping block. I say suddenly but this issue has surfaced in several ways many times now. I do feel that the ordinance is over reaching because I do believe it will adversly affect revenue for all of us directly or indirectly. That doesn't mean that I believe that the homeowners should be stuck with all the chaos in their neighborhoods. I don't understand, however, why the county doesn't use the laws already in place to deal with these events on an individual basis. I have been the D.J. at many weddings from Panama City to Pensacola. The major majority are pleasant celebrations of two people joinning their lives. I would hate to see everyone suffer because of the minority. If the county would deal with the problem events and not punish everyone for the activities of the few, we might just be able to all get along. Walton County has been struggling with the issue of quality of life verses interest of business for as long as I can remember. All I can say is that we have to find a balance because one cannot exist without the other. I would love to see all of you and everyone else at the commision meetings because too often the vocal majority overshadows the actual majority on all sides. I, like everyone else involved, am speaking from my personal experience. Perhaps if we could get a large enough representation of the whole community, we could settle this issue once and for all.

Yankeegal

Beach Comber
Mar 4, 2011
What I don't understand is why is this ordinance necessary if there are already noise and parking ordinances in place? It seems that most of the complaints about the "wedding houses" are a result of noise and parking, so wouldn't it just make more sense to enforce the laws that are already on the books?

I have attended several outdoor weddings (as a guest and as an employee), and they all have shut down at 10 PM. The DJ/Band usually makes an announcement at about 9:45 that the night will be drawing to a close at 10, and the vast majority of guests are respectful of that.

Also, why is it that areas such as Seaside, Rosemary Beach, Sandestin, etc. can hold outdoor celebrations (aka: weddings)? These celebrations often take place in the midst of residential neighborhoods. I don't see the County trying to put a stop to these functions.

This ordinance won't simply put a stop to people using rental homes as a business, it will also have a serious negative impact on caterers, photographers, florists, tent/chair/party supply companies. It will also have a serious negative impact on the "little guy" who works for the aforementioned companies. These businesses and people are trying to recover from the negative impact of the oil spill last season, and now the County wants to do this?