Public vs Private Beach [threads merged]

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by SoWal Staff, Feb 29, 2016.

1. NotDeadYet

NotDeadYet Beach Fanatic

Danny, there is a turnaround at the end of Blue Mountain Rd now. It was added a few years ago. You can see it on the property appraiser's aerial.

2. jkmason

jkmason Beach Lover

If I remember correctly, it is not really a turnaround; although I and others use it for that. The signage indicates the space is for emergency vehicle access, i.e. fire trucks, etc.

3. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

I'd like to focus on learning a bit more about the peoples opinions that feel the entire beach is "public".

What I mean is, let's start with some definition of the area we are discussing.

When I opine, it is in reference to the beaches of 30a, not Scenic Gulf (old 98).

Why? Well most of Scenic Gulf beaches received renourishment and thus by receiving a tax payer funded benefit, it is now public.

30a beaches refused, by a landslide (and much to the chagrin of the County), to NOT take this and thus don't benefit from tax payer money.

So what areas of beach are everyone arguing about?

I think it's good to define this upfront.

Anyone?

4. Danny Glidewell

Danny Glidewell Beach Fanatic

I remember a huge fight at several BCC meetings regarding the end of BMB road and the turnaround or lack thereof. My memory is that it is very narrow and that emergency vehicles have a difficult time turning around. So a large amount of traffic probably would not be a good idea. The "local traffic only" sign I remember was a standard yellow road sign. That sign appears to be replaced by a much more attractive yet unofficial sign.

5. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

They may have recently refused renourishment but in the past they have accepted government funded sand.

6. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

Interesting.

What exactly is government funded sand and how does it differ from the renourishment project?

7. FactorFiction

FactorFiction Beach Fanatic

Do you mean all of 30A or are you referring to specific areas? When was the government funded sand you are referring to?

8. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

The renourishment project was funded by taxpaxers, hence government funded sand. As for when, I have lived in Walton county since 1994, so it has been since then.

9. Danny Glidewell

Danny Glidewell Beach Fanatic

Bob Wells, wasn't that after one of the hurricanes, they used geotubes and used Ed Waline as the access point for the heavy equipment? I had forgot all about that until you mentioned it.

10. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

OK, getting somewhere, but now where Specifically was this funded sand distributed?

All of 30a, part of it? Where, and did everyone take this "sandout"?

Was it 100% tax dollars or only a portion?

11. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

If I remember correctly they moved the dredges all along 30a. It was after one of the hurricanes, may have been Ivan because there was the stink about some homeowners armoring the property past the dunes. Think it was around the time when Commissioner Cuchens was in office.

12. BlueMtnBeachVagrant

BlueMtnBeachVagrant Beach Fanatic

Bob, there was no sand deposited on private beach in our neck of the woods (or anywhere else that I know of) after and as a result of Ivan in 2004 and Dennis in 2005 by any governmental entity. ALL sand deposited in our area (Blue Mountain Beach) on private property was paid for by private property owners. I, like many others, know this first hand.

This is the kind of misinformation that does nobody any good but simply adds fuel to the fire to an already incendiary situation.

13. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

Some private beach homes DID install seawalls (installed by a company Cuchens was affiliated with) that came under fire for not being permitted correctly if at all by DEP. For a while it was up in the air if the DEP was even going to make the homeowners dig them back up and restore the area to previous condition.
    The geotubes were also only on private areas. (The Retreat and Gulf Trace come to mind) If I am not mistaken the heavy equipment at 393 was only used for rebuilding the area of Ed Walline which is public.

14. jkmason

jkmason Beach Lover

For those of you that have been here a long time, how much beach have we lost. I am reading that our part of the coast is losing 1/2 - 1' foot per year.

15. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

From the aerial pics I have seen it appears we have gained quite a bit in the last 10 years. We went to having ZERO feet in most places in 2006 to the width of the beach today.... all done by Mother Nature herself and no renourishment.

16. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

Vagrant: Please stop getting hostile about every comment made that doesn't fit your narrative. I also recall that there was some "re-nourishment" done on some beaches somewhere after Ivan or Dennis. I can't really recall the specifics and there was certainly a lot more private beach "re-nourishment" and armoring, much of which were without legal permits. It certainly may not have been in Blue Mountain Beach, but this issue isn't segregated to that one community. It seems like it would be helpful to look for compromises and possible solutions for the entire 30-A stretch of beach than to pick fights about what signs were where and when in your particular area.

17. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

18. jkmason

jkmason Beach Lover

I checked out the photos in the sowal photo archive. One photo references a DEP approved beach scraping in 2005. The reference was attributed to a photo of two beachfront homes located in Old Blue Mountain Beach. Does anyone know who did the beach scraping.

"Beach scraping is defined as the movement of sand from the intertidal zone to the dune or upper beach by mechanical means."

19. MRBS

MRBS Beach Lover

20. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

Beach scraping is what went on in Seagrove after one or both of Ivan and Dennis. It didn't involve "adding sand". Whether this constitutes government re-nourishment is kind of an interesting question.