• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Speaking of steel1man, not that he owes me a reply, but after a couple of attempts on my part to ask him to clarify his comment he chooses not to:

So glad I live in Old BMB, owners own ALL (3) access points( state of Florida approved not TDC)..they put those silly PVC vendor only signs between two of our accesses pointing toward each other over 800' of beach. They came back in a few days and removed ALL signage TDC/ code enforcement have NO sign authority own our neighborhood beaches. FYI we have a few lots left to build on just sayin.

Unless there's something that has recently occurred that I'm unaware of, he's dead wrong about who owns the 3 beach accesses on Blue Mountain Road where the single homes are.

Some of you should be up in arms regarding this statement. I made a snarky comment (yes, I admit) that they sure had really nice Trex walkovers if they were privately funded. But he didn't reply. And I'm guessing because I'm right.

As hard as "everyone" is arguing for public beach via customary use (which is definitely an uphill battle and is supposedly on a track by track basis), why in the world would those in the know, arguing customary access here, allow steel1man to get away with claiming the 3 public accesses on Blue Mountain Road as private?

And doesn't it bother some of you that the sign at 83 and Blue Mountain Road states "Local Traffic Only" to Old BMB where these public accesses are located?

And take a look at parking where these accesses are located - VERY little to be had. The county could easily provide more parking on the right away like they do on 83 and Blue Mountain Road near the regional access. But no, there are NO PARKING signs up and down the road east of the main regional access.

Oh, did I mention there are influential people who reside there (and I'm not talking about Huckabee)?...probably just a coincidence.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
LETTER: Selfish beachfront property owners threaten Walton's economy

The public’s right to use the sandy beaches of South Walton is under assault by beachfront property owners who are claiming the beaches for their own private and exclusive use. Beaches where we grew up fishing, swimming and sunbathing are now littered with “No Trespassing” and “Private Beach” signs and over a hundred fences put up by these selfish owners. The Walton County Sheriff has been called on numerous occasions about alleged “trespassing.”Walton County’s entire economy is in grave danger. If this is allowed to continue, tourists will go elsewhere. Homeowners within walking distance of the beach are not exempt as they also are being treated as trespassers. Without the tourist economy, businesses will close, jobs will be lost, vacation rental income will decline and property values will follow for all but the privileged few who can afford beachfront.A recent Board of County Commissioners meeting held for the purpose of discussing this situation was attended by over 400 people who spoke in favor of public beaches 10-to-1.There is a remedy, the Customary Use Doctrine, which protects public use of the beaches. At the next BCC meeting, commissioners are expected to consider hiring an attorney who is an expert in the field. If you want to protect your job, your property values, please attend and voice your support.
- CATHERINE HOFFER, Santa Rosa Beach

Copied from NWFL Daily News

Misty when is the next BCC meeting?

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
There are three key factors that have driven this need to first rope off the beach and now for some, attempt to lawfully acquire title:

1). Beach Vendors - I don't ever remember this being such a problem three or four years ago.

2). Enforcement - never had an issue getting service for problems on the beach. I remember when beach deputies would stop and warn women wearing thongs. TDC code enforcement's a joke, over paid joke.

3). Different class of tourist in town.

Solve those problems and the "sky stops falling" for many.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Add a 4th John G; many of the "old" owners are gone and have been replaced by people who know little about the area and it's history and have spent millions for what they were told and reasonably believe is property that extends to the waters edge. I am not crazy about these statements about "selfish" people. All of us are selfish in that we seek to advance our interests. My interests here lie with preserving jobs and an historic way of life. But I understand that the beachfront owners have different interests and the BCC must finally decide which interests will be honored.

jkmason

Beach Lover
Mar 10, 2014
"No part of Florida is more exclusively hers, nor more properly utilized by her people than her beaches."

Quote from Bilzen Sumberg editorial

catmoney

Beach Comber
May 23, 2009
Catmoney, thanks for your input. And as I mentioned above, " ...there might be areas that could possibly be argued using customary access where there was convenient access." And I'll clarify my statement a bit by adding the following - "and there still is." Customary use supposedly cannot be interrupted from what I understand.

The following is more for lawyers but it clarifies what one of the attorneys said to the BCC... if the county pursues customary use across the entire beach, the county will have 1100+ lawsuits on its hands, not just one.

The FL Supreme Court has recognized, in a limited way, the “custom doctrine” (as applied to a specific area of a particular beach) in City of Daytona Beach v. Tona-Rama Inc., 294 So. 2d 73 (Fla. 1974). However, in Reynolds v. County of Volusia, 659 So. 2d 1186 (Fla. 5th DCA 1995), the Fifth District Court of Appeal clarified the geographic scope of the Supreme Court’s opinion in Tona-Rama. The court stated that the doctrine of custom requires "courts to ascertain in each case the degree of customary and ancient use the beach has been subjected to and, in addition, to balance whether the proposed use of the land by the fee owners will interfere with such use enjoyed by the public in the past." Therefore, unlike Oregon, the doctrine of custom according to Reynolds is applied on a tract-by-tract basis in Florida.
[/QUOTE

The actual quote from Reynolds is

"In summary, although the doctrine of customary usage of the sandy beach areas of this state, as annunciated in City of Daytona Beach v. Tona-Rama, Inc.,294 So.2d 73(Fla. 1974), offers a potential additional ground to support the trial court's ruling, we do not rely on it. That doctrine requires the courts to ascertain in each case the degree of customary and ancient use the beach has been subjected to and, in addition, to balance whether the proposed use of the land by the fee owners will interfere with such use enjoyed by the public in the past. If there is no private fee owner of the sandy beach area involved in the case, that doctrine has no application.

As you can see nowhere in the language does it mention a tract by tract basis. It states courts are required to ascertain in each case the degree of customary and ancient use the BEACH has been subjected to. So what does the court mean by the word beach? I don't know. I guess that is what will be decided sometime in the future. The reason lawyers and commentators believe that it must be decided on a tract by tract basis, is because of the language regarding balancing the proposed use of the land by the fee owners and how it will interfere with the past public use. It appears the proposed use of the land by the fee owners in Walton County is simply to deny the public access. Therefore if 1100+ suits were filed, and the county won the first law suit heard, then the County's attorney could argue that all the beach in Walton County is so similarly situated and the proposed use by the fee owners is so similar, that the initial ruling should apply to the county as a whole and to all beach front fee owners. If the Court agreed the ruling would apply to the entire county and end the other lawsuits.

Or you could look at it another way. The County could sue all the beach front fee owners that are blocking the public’s access to the beach. Then you would have one lawsuit with potentially 1100+ defendants. In that case if every defendant fee owner was proposing the same use of the land, to deny the public access, the court could find that this use unfairly interferes with such use as the public has enjoyed in the past and apply the ruling to all defendants.

Either way I can understand the beach front owners’ complaints about poor behavior and littering. We have laws about these things and they should be enforced. My wife and I come to the beach with one bag two chairs and a cooler. I don’t think we have ever left the beach without picking up more trash than we brought. I wish everyone would do this same thing, then maybe this wouldn’t be such an issue.

jkmason

Beach Lover
Mar 10, 2014
Catmoney said the following regarding bluemtnbeachvagrant's earlier post:

The actual quote from Reynolds is

"In summary, although the doctrine of customary usage of the sandy beach areas of this state, as annunciated in City of Daytona Beach v. Tona-Rama, Inc.,294 So.2d 73(Fla. 1974), offers a potential additional ground to support the trial court's ruling, we do not rely on it. That doctrine requires the courts to ascertain in each case the degree of customary and ancient use the beach has been subjected to and, in addition, to balance whether the proposed use of the land by the fee owners will interfere with such use enjoyed by the public in the past. If there is no private fee owner of the sandy beach area involved in the case, that doctrine has no application.

As you can see nowhere in the language does it mention a tract by tract basis. It states courts are required to ascertain in each case the degree of customary and ancient use the BEACH has been subjected to. So what does the court mean by the word beach? I don't know. I guess that is what will be decided sometime in the future. The reason lawyers and commentators believe that it must be decided on a tract by tract basis, is because of the language regarding balancing the proposed use of the land by the fee owners and how it will interfere with the past public use. It appears the proposed use of the land by the fee owners in Walton County is simply to deny the public access. Therefore if 1100+ suits were filed, and the county won the first law suit heard, then the County's attorney could argue that all the beach in Walton County is so similarly situated and the proposed use by the fee owners is so similar, that the initial ruling should apply to the county as a whole and to all beach front fee owners. If the Court agreed the ruling would apply to the entire county and end the other lawsuits.

Or you could look at it another way. The County could sue all the beach front fee owners that are blocking the public’s access to the beach. Then you would have one lawsuit with potentially 1100+ defendants. In that case if every defendant fee owner was proposing the same use of the land, to deny the public access, the court could find that this use unfairly interferes with such use as the public has enjoyed in the past and apply the ruling to all defendants.

Either way I can understand the beach front owners’ complaints about poor behavior and littering. We have laws about these things and they should be enforced. My wife and I come to the beach with one bag two chairs and a cooler. I don’t think we have ever left the beach without picking up more trash than we brought. I wish everyone would do this same thing, then maybe this wouldn’t be such an issue.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I wonder how many individual owners of Beach Front property that don't rent their property got funds from BP for losing money by not being able to rent their property?

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Speaking of steel1man, not that he owes me a reply, but after a couple of attempts on my part to ask him to clarify his comment he chooses not to:

Vagrant!
Old Blue Mountain Beach Neighborhood is a private, legally deeded community....unique to the area and jealously protected as private property. These are deeded accesses to the beaches
In Old BMB Neighborhood.
We all have Statements to this Fact

Some of our early residence had the foresight to get this passed by the state of Florida. I don't desire to share.

I'm sure if you search you can find it,not sure of the year off the top of my head. I was given my copy at closing. Kind of looks official.
So there isn't any need for parking spots since everyone live so close.

Unless there's something that has recently occurred that I'm unaware of, he's dead wrong about who owns the 3 beach accesses on Blue Mountain Road where the single homes are.

Some of you should be up in arms regarding this statement. I made a snarky comment (yes, I admit) that they sure had really nice Trex walkovers if they were privately funded. But he didn't reply. And I'm guessing because I'm right.
"Your Kinda Not Right"