• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Doesn't live in Walton, unless he recently moved. Ran for Destin City Council.

Yes, but our elected officials actively SOUGHT his assistance at that meeting!!!

I don't know what I'm doing
D ont care what you think
I still don't care...
O h, you're offended, to bad...
T hought, we run the show, not you.
S tick it where beach sand is difficult to remove

IDIOTS...

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Yes, but our elected officials actively SOUGHT his assistance at that meeting!!!

I don't know what I'm doing
D ont care what you think
I still don't care...
O h, you're offended, to bad...
T hought, we run the show, not you.
S tick it where beach sand is difficult to remove

IDIOTS...
You made the comment, I just thought you were unawares, not sure what this last rant is about.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Yeah, it's getting difficult to keep track of the rants. It kind of seems lame to ridicule the board for seeking some intelligent input from a person who has been at the forefront of this problem for some time. I guess if you just going to rant, and not seek sensible answers, that's the style to go with.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Doesn't live in Walton, unless he recently moved. Ran for Destin City Council.
You probably already know this but for everyone else (and I just found out), it looks like he just lost by a real squeaker. So there's nothing politically for him to do in Destin for now - I guess keep one's feet wet in Walton County for whatever reason? On public beach of course!! Oh come on, that deserves a chuckle.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
But as a former Destin City Councilor, he has roots there. He used to be prior to taking the TDC position the City Manager of Rosemary Beach, at least I think that was his title.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
You cannot find spooks under every rock. Eventually people tune you out. Just because you do not agree with someone or their actions does not mean it is not smart to listen to them and understand their principles and motives. Who knows, you may be wrong and they may be right?

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
Letter from the Walton Sun:
LETTER: Customary use must prevail
I believe that the doctrine of customary use of the beach and public beach access must prevail. This subject cannot be watered down and shoved under the rug any longer. It cannot be postponed as a tactic to stop customary use of the beaches from being a right by law. We shouldn’t have to be defending a right that already exists, but we are.

The opposition has already stated we should prepare for a battle. Every day wasted is a day the opposition of the rich and few beachfront owners has to prepare and win their war on shutting down all beach accesses and making them private, taking it from the local people, as well as visitors, that have used it for recreational purposes for years. It is the local people who have lived here and possibly sacrificed making higher wages in order to enjoy the serenity of this area. It is these same people who kept things going when it was not as popular of a place as now.

Now a few rich owners want to come in here and deny these many fine people the right of their customary use just so they can have their own private, isolated beach regardless of the joy they steal from so many. It will destroy the economy. It is a right of all the people of South Walton County to enjoy these beaches.

It is the local people who work here that take care of the needs of the new development and guests and new local residents. The economy is at stake here as well.

With some proper planning from TDC, the commissioners making the beach public through customary use and having plenty of public beach access, and making some responsible ordinances that will help support the respect for the beach and it’s preservation, will help to ensure that South Walton beaches will be a preferred destination for locals and visitors for many years to come.

- LIZ GOOD, Santa Rosa Beach

Last edited by a moderator:

Smittyjohn

Beach Crab
Apr 14, 2016
Emerald Coast
Where was this Customary Use Doctrine 500 years ago? My, how different our country would look!

Keep in mind that Public Property does not mean Accessible to Locals. The bays and creeks have Private Property restricting access to the water too.

One look at the ungodly amount of trash found every morning off Public Beach Accesses will serve to explain the Private Property signs. The locals that work the beach don't like the signs either, but the public doesn't see how many shattered bottles and poopy tampons and loaded up bloody condoms left by The Public that we pick up every morning before breakfast so that your kids can focus on building sand castles.

Since we don't seem to want to pay for Grayton or Topsail, perhaps a free-to-enter county park with adequate parking like Morrison Springs would be worth campaigning for.

Last edited:

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Where was this Customary Use Doctrine 500 years ago? My, how different our country would look!

Keep in mind that Public Property does not mean Accessible to Locals. The bays and creeks have Private Property restricting access to the water too.

One look at the ungodly amount of trash found every morning off Public Beach Accesses will serve to explain the Private Property signs. The locals that work the beach don't like the signs either, but the public doesn't see how many shattered bottles and poopy tampons and loaded up bloody condoms we pick up before it's even breakfast time so that your kids can focus on building sand castles.

Since we don't seem to want to pay for Grayton or Topsail, perhaps a free-to-enter county park with adequate parking like Morrison Springs would be worth campaigning for.
Most accesses are not trashed. The TDC is responsible for picking up trash at containers. Perhaps bed tax should go toward doing a more comprehensive, better job if needed.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
Most accesses are not trashed. The TDC is responsible for picking up trash at containers. Perhaps bed tax should go toward doing a more comprehensive, better job if needed.
I bring a trash bag every time I go on morning walks along Grayton Beach.
In the Spring and Summer, it's full by the time I finish my walk, and I pick
it up from the public and private parts of the beach.