Public vs Private Beach [threads merged]

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by SoWal Staff, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Let's keep it on the up and up. The TDC benefits many communities and individuals by providing information on a location, Walton in general and Sowal particular. That being said because you as a rental owner benefit already from the service which is to bring folks down rent your property. Which in my opinion is more than enough, but as it is better that the TDC pick up the garbage for the betterment of our community as a whole and is a minimal cost to keep our beach clean. As for thinking the TDC doesn't do much else except promotion and cleaning, I would also dispute that, I believe they have placed sand up and down our beaches.

2. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

I believe it is the accusers responsibility to prove guilt in any civil or criminal matter. And as I said before those surveys and that imaginary line in the sand change every year. Some years the homeowners come out on the good end of the stick and sometimes its the public...

3. jodiFL

jodiFL Beach Fanatic

I will need to go back and read the entire SOP again but I am not sure WCSO thing reads TOPO survey. A boundary line survey is not sufficient according to Florida statutes. (I am really dreading the hours reading all those chapters again.I posted it several years ago when this whole thing started but that post is long gone. Maybe I should have put something about a blue tick puppy in it....)

4. BlueMtnBeachVagrant

BlueMtnBeachVagrant Beach Fanatic

Appreciate your input.

The truth of the matter is that beachfront properties really don't need the promotion afforded by TDC. Since 2002 we've managed to be practically 100% booked for spring, summer and fall long before the more recent tremendous promotional push. VRBO and similar sites do a good-enough job of "promoting" vacation rentals.

Now if one owns a property off the beach, I guess it doesn't hurt that the area gets more exposure and that they somewhat benefit from that incremental increase in interest based on the massive TDC advertising.

But that's where the problem, as I see it....more people...no increase in public beach.

Destin and Panama City promote the hell out their beaches. I personally have had several guests say, "This is the first time we've come to your area because we don't like fighting the crowds at those places."

Why are we trying so hard to become them?

5. Mike Jones

Mike Jones Beach Fanatic

If the Walton County Sheriff has rules that are causing people to put up signs on the beach then they need to reverse that IMMEDIATELY!

The sheriff should be serving the vast majority of Walton County voters who want clean beaches.

6. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

I'm not making any argument. I'm pointing you to the source of the argument.

Ask your Elected Sheriff why he requires this "proof".

I've though it to be B.S. from day one and all my posts reflect that.

Renourishment failed! This is the next attempt at taking private property from owners.

Unfortunately, it is an emotional issue and no one sees the simple logic here.

7. gailforce

gailforce Beach Lover

Interesting that the county knew who to send the Easement information to. No one had to prove any ownership by putting up signs to receive a 'ballot' for ownership to vote for Easement access. Yet, signs must be erected all over the beach to prove ownership before the WCSO will come out for tresspassing. Signs are .....yucky!

8. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

And lets see how the use of those type of companies are going to cost both the user and the owners as the cost seems to be an issue as of late. As for trying to become them PCB, I would venture a guess from what I have read the TDC has selectively marketed this area to a different clientele over the years. I am not sure how I feel about privatizing the TDC because of how I view their effectiveness. I also feel the economic impact of not having a TDC would be negative and until we as a county are able to diversify away from primarily tourism to some other industry then I am all for marketing. Just my thoughts.

9. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

John what about the beach front owner who HIRE kids to be Beach Cops and Protectors inside their Private Beach signs? They also are paying these guys and then the paid vendor is allowed to rent umbrellas right at the wet sand line.

Then He sits there and rents to who ever walks up..

This can be seen 15'+/- west of regional public beach access at BMB end of Hwy83.
    Who knows who contacted who first?

But mid summer last year these owners(owner) contracted with the Redfish Village vendor and let him set up umbrellas un-rented and no one else could set up on their property.

Pretty sure vendors on private property can also grill and sale fresh hotdogs and roasted nuts in the fall..

Let the good times roll.....

10. John G

John G Beach Fanatic

I'm not sure I understand.

If an owner (one that actually owns the property in question) wants to employ someone to watch it and / or vend on it, I don't know what the problem would be... Unless of course the employees are not operating within the laws and / or ordinances of that area.

A person watching property and enforcing rules may need to fall under the Security Guard definition and be licensed as such.

A vendor selling food may need to be licensed and registered.

Oh wait, we don't do any of this in Walton County, so it must all be OK.

Small Business opportunity abounds.

11. FoX

FoX Beach Fanatic

Free The Beach!

12. jkmason

jkmason Beach Lover

The chair and umbrella blockades, largely unoccupied, are so ugly. Free the beach from unoccupied beach chairs!!

13. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

Good News county is removing "Public Beach " signs off of HIGWAY 98 at BMB. Reason? there is NO MORE PUBLIC BEACH AT THE END OF 83.
    Well maybe about 22' out of 150' of public space.

14. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

HOW?

15. steel1man

steel1man Beach Fanatic

jK next time ask them to show you annual survey, check date. The MUST show you to enforce...and FYI MUST be this years survey, they have to do it yearly.
    At least make them work for their privacy.

16. FactorFiction

FactorFiction Beach Fanatic

Attached Files:

17. BlueMtnBeachVagrant

BlueMtnBeachVagrant Beach Fanatic

John G, it certainly doesn't appear easy (or reasonably priced) to definitively prove one's southern boundary. Yet common sense dictates that it exists "somewhere" near the wet/dry sand boundary during normal tidal conditions (no high winds or storms) based on the definition of MHWL.

Some background and a question for all: Most gulf front lots whose deed runs to the MHWL are typically 4 sided lots with northern, eastern, western and southern property lines. With the southern boundary being in dispute on how it's enforced and based on extrapolation, how does a beach front private property owner prevent the public from trespassing on ANY part of their property?

As an example, would a deputy remove an uninvited person from one's immediate grassy backyard if instructed to do so by the owner?

If the answer is yes, then what is LEGALLY used as the southern boundary if the MHWL is in dispute?

If the answer is no, would the property owner be liable for any harm to the person during removal by the owner if the sheriff refused to do it? Would the sheriff be held liable?

Does the law provide for a "backup" southern boundary if the MHWL is in question?

18. FactorFiction

FactorFiction Beach Fanatic

I am very interested in the reasons that the public does not seem to utilize the state parks in South Walton, especially given that they have parking and pristine beaches. The parks seem to be sorely underutilized and yet they are clearly open to tourists as well as residents. With an understanding of the reasons that people DON'T use the parks, perhaps Walton County can figure out a way to better utilize the parks to alleviate some of the public beach and parking issues.

19. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

Location of parking and distance to beach from said parking. Except for Grayton.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. Bob Wells

Bob Wells Beach Fanatic

I read the SOP, and it appears that those who claim some beach, may have a very difficult time claiming it. Those that claim the the property may not like it but the SOP appears reasonable and it is about what you can prove not what you can claim.