• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Tatertot said:
Okay, so now that we've established there are snakes everywhere down here...how do we keep them out of our houses and yards? My exterminator last weeks said the only thing he knew of was to put moth balls around the outside of the house, but that STINKS up my whole yard. Anyone know any other remedies for snakes?

I'm also curious how to keep those darn lizards out of my kitchen and living room. They keep getting in my house somehow when I let the dog out and they're impossible to get back outside. Any ideas on how to get them away from my house? :dunno:

many thanks for any suggestions! :clap_1:
The lizards are running from the snakes. One way to get rid of the snakes is to iliiminate all of its food and water sources. Walton County Mosquito control is working on taking care of that for us by widespread aerial spraying of poisons as well as using truck sprayers which run up and down the streets spraying toxins into our air. :bang:

Until the poison spray kills everything, moth balls do keep away the snakes. Not sure if they repel the food sources too, or just the snakes. They probably repel everything in their path, including me. Other than moth balls, keeping pigs in the yard also works. Pigs will kill the snakes for you. I really think the moth balls probably smell better than pig urine, but that may be a personal preference of mine and not universal. :dunno: Best scenerio is live with nature. I keep the spiders around the house because they eat the roaches. ;-) The snakes help to maintain balance too. I know many of you have fear of snakes. I do too. However, I am proof that one can live with the fear and embrace them being alive in my yard. When I do occasionally find a poisonous one in my yard, I will relocate it down the street in a place better suited for it an me and my dawgs, but killing them is very unnecessary and shallow-minded on our part. Just watch a few episodes of Jeff Gorwin (or whatever his name is) and you will learn how you too can capture and relocate snakes. I just use his ideas as guidelines. I never pick them up with my hand. It is easy to scoop them into a bucket or trashcan and haul them down the street into the woods. Try it. You may surprise yourself.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I think the moth ball plan is flawed-they are napthalene which is toxic. This sounds like a solution that has been handed down by the oldtimers but probably doesn't work. Joe is right, the snakes are coming to the house because that is where the food is. If you have mice, you have snakes. Which flows well into my big question-why is eveyone just killing these things? I understand getting upset if they are on your porch or in your house, but honestly, just seeing a snake and bashing it to death with a shovel is incredibly short sighted. Not only do they keep the varmints under control, THEY WERE HERE FIRST! So, if you bash snake brains, don't get mad about sea turtle nests getting plowed or manatees getting buzzed by boats-all instances of human hubris! :sosad:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
The snakes I see around my yard (typically Black Racers) enjoy eating the cute Frogs, Anoles and Skinks of which I post photos. I have seen them in the mouth. :eek: Just a part of life and death. I have often seen the Anoles eating Honey Bees. It is just a big cycle. The Frogs eat the insects, which are now being killed off by the man in the Poison Truck. Etc. Once we take something out of the loop without replacing it, there are widespread effects. We have to wake up and smell the coffee. Learn to fit into nature rather than attempting to make nature fit into your world. ;-)

Yes, mothballs are highly toxic.

Tatertot

Beach Lover
Jan 17, 2006
I hear what your all saying, but I still don't want any of those things in my house (I don't care WHO was here first!) And I would never hesitate to kill a snake, especially with dogs and children in the yard. I'm just looking for some other ways to keep them at bay.

I've never heard of any sure fire ways, and there may not be any. I was just curious. :dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Tatertot said:
I hear what your all saying, but I still don't want any of those things in my house (I don't care WHO was here first!) And I would never hesitate to kill a snake, especially with dogs and children in the yard. I'm just looking for some other ways to keep them at bay.

I've never heard of any sure fire ways, and there may not be any. I was just curious. :dunno:
Tater, I acknowledge your fear and concern of a poisonous snake biting you guys or your pets. It is valid. However, there are other ways to handle it without incident.

The first thing you can do is to educate yourself on poisonous snakes found in your region. There may be different markings on similar snakes, or similar markings on very different snakes. The easy part is that there aren't many to remember around the US. My dad used to kill anything he didn't understand, so he would kill a non-poisonous Chicken Snake (for what? to protect the family and dogs?:bang:) If you kill all snakes in your yard, you are doing so out of your own ignorance. Educate yourself and help make the world even more beautiful. :D

Tatertot

Beach Lover
Jan 17, 2006
I've never been referred to as ignorant on this board before, and I usually try to censure my posts, so that kind of thing doesn't happen. :bang: I'll be more careful what I type in the future. Thanks for the suggestion, SJ.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
There is no sure fire way to keep snakes out of your yard. Snake repellant is a waste of $$$. If you really want them to keep away, minimize the amount of ground cover. They love woodpiles, stones, leaf piles, etc. They don't want to end up like that snake on the Mexican flag! :rotfl:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Tatertot said:
I've never been referred to as ignorant on this board before, and I usually try to censure my posts, so that kind of thing doesn't happen. :bang: I'll be more careful what I type in the future. Thanks for the suggestion, SJ.
Tater, I use the word ignorant only to mean uninformed or uneducated in the identification of snakes. Nothing more. I am just encouraging you to learn about the potentially dangerous snakes in your area. There is a difference and the non-poisonous ones pose zero threat to you and your pets, obviously. If you can learn to identify the poisonous ones, you can leave the other ones unharmed. ;-)

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
:clap_1: SJ and Skunkape! I too think that you should not kill anything in your yard if you can possibly help it. I found a small garden snake in my guest bath a couple of years ago, and let me tell you, that's quite a shock when it's 5:00 in the morning. But, while mr. dd freaked out, I just picked it up and "relocated" it outside. We have quite a few in our yard. Once in a while, the cats will get one, but like you said, SJ, it's just the natural cycle of nature. I do, however, have a spider story that I'm not proud of. Let's just say, when I tried to get the thing out of my house, a million babies came flying out! The resulting fiasco was not pretty--especially for the spiders. :eek: Personally, I would rather deal with a snake any day than a spider or one of those palmetto bugs! :eek: :eek: